Combat Mission status

Started by RyanE, May 27, 2018, 02:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Canadian Cat

Woah guys read that thread carefully. Steve *has* taken steps to ensure the sites safety. The store it self has been examined for security issues. The sever has been checked for malware and any possible breaches. They verified to everyone that they do not store CC information so there is no database of customer data to steel. And on top of that Steve has been in contact with their CC transaction service (whatever the right name for that is) to inform them of what some customers have experience so they can check their systems. They have assured Steve that there are no issues on their end.
I'm not sure what some of the people who continue to rant are on about but Steve has already done - on his own initiative - everything that has been suggested.

Grim.Reaper

*removed*

Elvis

Quote from: A Canadian Cat on February 05, 2019, 09:26:06 AM
Woah guys read that thread carefully. Steve *has* taken steps to ensure the sites safety. The store it self has been examined for security issues. The sever has been checked for malware and any possible breaches. They verified to everyone that they do not store CC information so there is no database of customer data to steel. And on top of that Steve has been in contact with their CC transaction service (whatever the right name for that is) to inform them of what some customers have experience so they can check their systems. They have assured Steve that there are no issues on their end.
I'm not sure what some of the people who continue to rant are on about but Steve has already done - on his own initiative - everything that has been suggested.

Correct. And this came at a time where 500 million cards were compromised.  It is not unexpected that some of those 500 million cards were also people who purchased games on the Battlefront site.

HoodedHorseJoe

And the award for "Most Unexpected Event of 2020" goes to...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369370/Combat_Mission_Shock_Force_2/

It's also going to be on the Matrix Store (as it's Matrix Games who are publishing it for this) and "other" platforms.

I talk about it a bit on Wargamer but my personal gut feeling is that this is because Matrix introduced Battlefront to their defence industry partners. I'd heard Combat Mission was being used by some folk in that scene. I imagine the money for that kind of work is pretty good, but you've got to have your s**t together and provide accessible product for the clients and offer a decent patching solution etc.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: WargamerJoe on August 04, 2020, 06:47:45 AM

It's also going to be on the Matrix Store (as it's Matrix Games who are publishing it for this) and "other" platforms.

I talk about it a bit on my Wargamer but my personal gut feeling is that this is because Matrix introduced Battlefront to their defence industry partners. I'd heard Combat Mission was being used by some folk in that scene. I imagine the money for that kind of work is pretty good, but you've got to have your s**t together and provide accessible product for the clients and offer a decent patching solution etc.

Or maybe BFC is just desperate for customers and finally saw the light?

Rayfer

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on August 04, 2020, 06:52:55 AM

I talk about it a bit on my Wargamer but my personal gut feeling is that this is because Matrix introduced Battlefront to their defence industry partners. I'd heard Combat Mission was being used by some folk in that scene. I imagine the money for that kind of work is pretty good, but you've got to have your s**t together and provide accessible product for the clients and offer a decent patching solution etc.

If they begin to put their other titles on Steam it would be nothing short of awesome.

HoodedHorseJoe

Given that Steam (and maybe even Matrix) will be taking a cut here, I doubt an unknown/abstract amount of Steam users are worth more than a Defence Industry contract. But you're not going to get those people to dick around with Battlefront's launcher so they've probably been "inspired" (by money) to get their act together and just create a Steam version.

It's possible Matrix might even be doing it for them and have just taken the game files from Battlefront.

But if the Steam sales prove interesting enough (and the workload not insurmountable) then there's no reason more CM games couldn't go over but I'd be surprised if that's the main reason they're doing this.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: WargamerJoe on August 04, 2020, 06:58:42 AM

Given that Steam (and maybe even Matrix) will be taking a cut here, I doubt an unknown/abstract amount of Steam users are worth more than a Defence Industry contract. But you're not going to get those people to dick around with Battlefront's launcher so they've probably been "inspired" (by money) to get their act together and just create a Steam version.

It's possible Matrix might even be doing it for them and have just taken the game files from Battlefront.

But if the Steam sales prove interesting enough (and the workload not insurmountable) then there's no reason more CM games couldn't go over but I'd be surprised if that's the main reason they're doing this.

At present BFC gets new customers from - zero advertising, no? You have to know about their website in order to find and/or buy their products.  20 years ago they at least had some print ads in the pulpy World War II themed magazines. Putting them on a platform which recommends similar titles to users seems like a good way to get the word out.

Why only now? You have to keep in mind how badly BFC got hosed when they tried to partner with a third party for the initial release of CMSF back in 2007. IIRC Steve talks about it in a couple of places - not much, but IIRC he was candid about how upsetting it was to see the game go to essentially bargain-bin pricing by their partner and having no control over it.

I'm not making the connection between "defence industry contracts" and Steam. Has this been a condition of other software contracts (for example, Steel Beasts)?

Lots of speculation and we'll see if Steve comes forward with his take on it. Good news for wargamers using Steam, though, first the return of Microprose, and now this.

Destraex

I talk about it a bit on Wargamer but my personal gut feeling is that this is because Matrix introduced Battlefront to their defence industry partners. I'd heard Combat Mission was being used by some folk in that scene. I imagine the money for that kind of work is pretty good, but you've got to have your s**t together and provide accessible product for the clients and offer a decent patching solution etc.
Awesome news. Finally! Now can the rest of us mugs that have been loyal customers get steam keys and all move over to steam? No more mucking around with patches, no more fiddling with keys and installers. Just an absolutely huge ass international community to play with.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Destraex on August 04, 2020, 08:16:02 AM
Now can the rest of us mugs that have been loyal customers get steam keys and all move over to steam? No more mucking around with patches, no more fiddling with keys and installers.

That appears to be the number one question on the BFC forum. What could possibly go wrong, eh?

Destraex

I love how the last screenshot on the steam page shows a fraps counter

Yeah. Nothing could go wrong. Can you imagine battlefront trying to honour all the engine upgrades and expansions for each game and module in the cmx2 series? I mean you would think it would be a simple compromise and part of any original steam deal, but knowing battlefront it would just "not be possible". Then again if they have "opened up" to steam, maybe like george lucas, they have decided it's time to move on and give up all of the old hang ups.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Elvis

Quote from: WargamerJoe on August 04, 2020, 06:58:42 AM

Some of what you've said is true. Without getting into the nuts and bolts of, it really came down to our relationship with Slitherine. They have been absolutely fantastic to work with. It really is as simple as the announcement says "The new arrangement puts Slitherine's considerable marketing muscle to work getting Combat Mission into more hands than ever before through its Matrix Games online store and Steam." We'll know soon enough if it was as worth it as they say. They seem like complete pros and would tend to think they know what they're talking about.

Regarding Steam CMSF2 keys for existing owners. Steve just posted this:

QuoteHi all,

To answer the immediate question... existing Battlefront CMSF2 customers will get Steam keys for whichever products are owned.  We're not exactly sure yet how we'll get the keys to you (couple of options), but we'll let you know when we know.  Brand new Slitherine customers will get their Steam access along with their purchase.

Steve

What he just posted is exactly what my understanding has been during the whole process.

Yskonyn

Great news! If only to make it so much easier to re-install the games if needed!  :bd:
I'll keep my non-Steam version running for as long as possible however, unless Steam Workshop support is going to be a thing and most modders upload their stuff to it.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Elvis

Quote from: Destraex on August 04, 2020, 08:44:20 AM
I love how the last screenshot on the steam page shows a fraps counter

Which screenshot is it? I didn't see it scanning through the screenshots of the Matrix site. I don't use FRAPS so it wasn't one of mine. :-) A large number of them do appear to be mine though. Including one that I jokingly made and asked "are convoys sexy?"

HoodedHorseJoe

I mean to be fair, JD McNeil himself had always said he didn't want to take Matrix to Steam to avoid the "race to the bottom" of steam sales so perhaps Matrix's involvement (and their similar journey) has convinced Battlefront that maybe Steam is worth it after all. I'll take Elvis' response at face value on that.

I've seen some posts around from Steve about his stance on Steam and I just find suspicious that someone that stubborn would up and change their minds about something like Steam ESPECIALLY during a time when Steam's dominance is being actively challenged.

You mentioned Steel Beasts Michael, my understanding is that the military isn't going to want to play every game they're going to want only one of two products to do their testing. If Steel Beasts is popular, great, but a great way of beating them and taking over that business is to perhaps offer a potentially 'better' game (like CMSF2) but also make it more accessible to use and deploy. No-one can argue that Steam isn't a great way to distribute and maintain code at the very least.

But like you said, this is all speculation. I would be surprised if it wasn't a contributing factor but it may not be as important as I think it is.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse