Main Menu

iOS6 upgrade

Started by MarkShot, September 19, 2012, 10:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkShot

Yawn ... it seems going on three hours now.

Keunert

great! i waited only one hour and now i have a crappy apple map!
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Rogo727

Guys I waited one day and it downloaded in 15 minutes if even that.  It's an awesome update,  especially if you use Siri a lot .i won't get the iPhone 5 but will wait for 5s

Staggerwing

My iPad updated pretty quickly. The native youtube app is gone but Google has a new Youtube app in the app store. If you're updating an iPad you need to look under the iPhone apps, not just iPad. It's still a little rough (starts in portrait mode with the '2x' button at the bottom for full screen).

Quote from: Keunert on September 19, 2012, 11:36:44 PM
great! i waited only one hour and now i have a crappy apple map!

AFA the maps go, the 3d sites are pretty goofy. I zoomed in on the USS Intrepid Museum along the Manhattan West Side Highway and the ship looked slightly melted.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Onion

Be wary about the update. Everybody in my office lost the ability to connect to the office (and most other) wifi. We have yet to figure out what the problem is. iOS 5 users have no problem.

jomni

Tip: If you miss Google Maps, just open it in Safari.  You can also make a shortcut icon in the home page. ;)

Keunert

i bough a paper map and i wrap my phone in it. it's win o' win, it's 1+1=3
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Sigma One

I've been hearing reports about iOS6 draining the battery faster now. If you can, make sure to disable all that extra junk you don't use like Location Services, how often it checks for email, etc. If you're not in an area with wifi, turn it off as it will drain the battery just trying to find a signal.

Having it on when you do have wifi does help in saving the battery, so there's that.

If anyone asks, I do see it personally with my 4S, I see the percentage drop much quicker while using it in my hand. Bah!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've found that it drains faster as well.  I also note that the signal is not as strong.  My workplace is right on the edge of cel range so I could get a signal outside but not inside the buildings.  Now I can only get a signal from one corner of the parking lot.

Sigma One

Do you have Sprint or AT&T? I'm with Sprint and all year their towers have been under "maintenance" which has been nothing but trouble for me out here.

Silent Disapproval Robot

mirth

AT&T's service can be pretty awful too. My workplace is on the edge of the cell towers in the area. It's a lucky day that I can complete a call without multiple drops.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus