Gurps

Started by kommandant, July 17, 2012, 12:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kommandant

Does anyone plays GURPS in here, I think that this is one of the best systems ever, last time I made a campaing with gurps I created 3 scifi armies for the players to control one, and 2 NPC armies, I made a battle for a small part of a planets capital, it was awesome. Sadly one of the players gave up before the end of the campaing, couldn't finish it.

So, does anyone play it and have a good story or tips to share?

meadbelly

I am a long time GURPS fan and player. I've used it for high/low fantasy, far/near scifi, moderns, and supers settings. GURPS' magic system will never be as satisfying as say Pathfinder/D&D, but I'm also rather sure it's not meant to be.

It's quite possible that I'll never play GURPS again, thanks to my recent discovery of Savage Worlds. Credit for my discovery must include posters here (Bayonet Brant, Metaldog, among others) who spoke highly of it.

GURPS is a fine system. Savage Worlds hits that sweet spot between providing enough mechanics to produce a balanced and satisfying experience, but not enough to get in the way of roleplaying and storytelling.

So my tip is -- check out Savage Worlds. If you can roll a 4, you can play the game.

kommandant

/\ I will search that one, thanks. You are right about all the rules gurps has, sometimes it can get in your nerves about playing or making a game, took me a week, working 3 hours a day, to set a full campaing for at least 6 months of gameplay, playing 2 times a month, I had to work over rules for combat, to simplify it, work over the psi powers weapons and all, a hell of a job, to discard tons of rules.

A friend of mine said once, "Movies imitates life, life imitates gurps."

meadbelly

GURPS is certainly not unreasonable in it's balance of rules vs gameplay. Of course, I played one of the extreme examples of over rules, Aftermath. Aftermath is a post nuclear apocalyse survival rpg. It includes a rulebook of a couple hundred guns and different ammo for each -- and different mechanics for practically each gun. Character stat creation typically took about 2 hours, and almost invariably the moment you started playing an NPC would come and eat your face. Fun it was not.

Savage Worlds is truly rather amazing in it's ability to not let anything in the rules get in your way. I'm clearly still in a honeymoon period with the game so maybe overlooking some stuff, but there isn't a single game design decision that doesn't appear to be excellent. And make other systems pale in comparison.