Main Menu

Quail Hunt

Started by airboy, January 26, 2017, 07:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I went to a high level hunting plantation close to Union Springs, Alabama today on a half day quail hunt.
http://pa-ko.com/pages/quail/quail.html

Best quail hunt since I was a kid in the 1970s!  The birds flew like rockets.  The guide worked three dogs and they were excellent.  Brisk morning.  On most quail breaks I could not get a shot off within twenty yards due to the speed of the birds - so it was a challenge.  Fortunately, I shot well today (but that is not a requirement).  The dogs could retrieve up to 40-50 yards on birds I was not sure I hit that were well out of sight.

Sir Slash

In my home town here in Fla. we used to see quail all the time. But it's been years since I've seen a one. And very few other people that I know have either. Urban sprawl and Fire Ants I think is the reason.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 26, 2017, 11:35:31 PM
In my home town here in Fla. we used to see quail all the time. But it's been years since I've seen a one. And very few other people that I know have either. Urban sprawl and Fire Ants I think is the reason.

Sir Slash - the reasons given for the decline in quail populations are legion.