Main Menu

For all my Duke haters

Started by MetalDog, August 01, 2014, 08:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

This article is about our national basketball team going to the World Championships and why you should root for Spain to win it all.  The author gives eight reasons, and Number Five, is just pure awesome for those who hate Duke:

5. If the U.S. doesn't win, we get to blame Coach K

There's not enough space on the Internet for me to properly excoriate The One They Call Ratface, so I'll just block quote the master Andrew Sharp from his 2010 magnum opus for our parent site that made the case for continued, renewed, and rejuvenated Duke animus:

'I'm not making an arugment here. But I'd just like to go on record that, considering all the facts, I truly believe that Coach Mike Krzyzewski is just a bad person. No different than his mentor Bob Knight, K's just a bully. A bully that happens to have rich friends, a glittering reputation, and spectacular PR to keep it that way. But still a bully; the sort of person who would scream expletives at the mother of a kid that's about to fulfill his lifelong dreams, or invite college kids to the Duke locker room to shout at them for 15 minutes. That's Mike Krzyzewski.'

I went to UNC, so I can hardly be seen as a fair arbiter on Krzyzewski's life and career, but in the words of someone for whom he almost certainly holds deep admiration, Donald Rumsfeld, "There are known knowns... [and] there are known unknowns." Here's what we know we know: the man's a hypocrite of the highest order that has rigged the system in his favor at every turn, he's a quitter, he's abusive, and above all else, he's the most self-righteous, sanctimonious lizard-man in a sport governed by a body whose moral authority is only slightly less of a joke than these guys'. The known unknowns are as follows: he was Craig James' accomplice at SMU, Rashad McCants was a Krzyzewski mole the entire time, disgraced former Rutgers coach Mike Rice learned everything he knew from Krzyzewski, Butch Davis was a Krzyzewski mole the entire time; and finally, Krzyzewski, Donald Trump, and Dan Snyder all vacay together every summer on Mago Island.

http://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2014/8/1/5957305/marc-gasol-fiba-world-cup-spain-memphis-grizzlies

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

Thanks!  We own multiple books about hating Dook.  We also have multiple screeds about Dook on our Fridge.

I tell my students at the start of the semester that I hate Dook more than they hate U. of Alabama.  Most laugh.  By the end of the semester some start commenting that my Dook hatred is both wonderful and frightening to behold.

But my wife probably hates Dook more than I do.

To Hate Like This Is to Be Happy Forever: A Thoroughly Obsessive, Intermittently Uplifting, and Occasionally Unbiased Account of the Duke-North Carolina Basketball Rivalry is a book suggested by one of my outreach students.

MetalDog

I have to admit, my Duke hatred is for the team and what they have done to mine in the past, not Coach K specifically.  I don't know what any of the OP refers to in detail, but I dislike him as the technician of those same Blue Devils.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

Duke Sucks: A Completely Evenhanded, Unbiased Investigation into the Most Evil Team on Planet Earth

This is also an excellent read.  Far more on the scientific side than most - but highly recommended.

Martok

Quote from: airboy on August 07, 2014, 10:59:28 PM
Duke Sucks: A Completely Evenhanded, Unbiased Investigation into the Most Evil Team on Planet Earth
LOL!!  That may be the single most awesome book title I've ever seen.  8) 

How would it read for a layman?  Okay, or really dense/heavy going? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

airboy

Quote from: Martok on August 08, 2014, 01:28:02 PM
Quote from: airboy on August 07, 2014, 10:59:28 PM
LOL!!  That may be the single most awesome book title I've ever seen.  8) 

How would it read for a layman?  Okay, or really dense/heavy going?

Easy read.  My wife has an undergrad liberal arts degree and loved it.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on August 08, 2014, 04:09:11 PMundergrad liberal arts degree

hey now!  I resemble that remark  :coolsmiley:
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 08, 2014, 05:16:27 PM
Quote from: airboy on August 08, 2014, 04:09:11 PMundergrad liberal arts degree

hey now!  I resemble that remark  :coolsmiley:

You got a Liberal Arts Degree from a Cow College (NCSU)?
How wrong is that?

bayonetbrant

I was there to major in ROTC ;)

I used to tell people my degree was in Literary Engineering
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.