Looking to buy a painting/work bench

Started by Con, March 21, 2018, 04:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Con

Cleared out a space for myself in the basement and I want to put a workbench down there that can also double up as a hobby bench for painting.  I dont do a lot of woodwork and when I do its normally small jobs and household fixer up projects.  I do have a lot of tools so looking for somewhere to put/stack them on a lower shelf but still need to be able to get my legs under the table to get close for detail painting work.

The pure/expert woodworking benches out there look like a lot of overkill for me with extra vices/flt lined drawers dog holes etc.  I would use these features rarely.

Any recommendations

Con 

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Con

I guess you would call it a dole bench :)

Barthheart

I'd recommend you just build your own bench. Then you can custom tailor it to what you want/need and how much space you have.

Doesn't have to be fancy. I built my workshop bench/table using a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood and a bunch of 2x6 lumber. Been using it for almost 20 years now.
You probably don't need something that large but you can scale it from there.
It's much cheaper than buying a pre-made one.

I'd also suggest, if you have the wall space, to hang most of your tools from a peg board system. Gets them off the bench, easily seen and readily available.... especially if you can train your self to put them back in place when done.... only partially successful at that part myself....  :-[

Here's my very messy setup.

Con

OK work bench was completed

Went the customization route.  Since the basement where it is going is sort of shared space (extra bedrooms and laundry room plus kids playroom) wife was not amused with the idea of the nail straightening approach to scrap bench building.  Found a site online that sells butcher blocks and legs for warehouses/schools/labs etc.  Was able to buy the maple butcher blocks and two legs cheap.

Friend who is a carpenter came and took pity on me since the bench had to be custom cut to some funky interior angles.  He whipped it together in about an hour after I was staring at it for 2 days and couldn't figure out how to not screw it up.

Painted my first figure on it today a rat from Mice and Mystics - its a zen de-stresser to be able to paint again.....I am really happy to have a dedicated space and IMO this was one of the best investments we made in the house.  Now need to install peg boards and waiting for a LED magnifying glass since my eyesight has failed horribly from the last time I panted minis which was in the early 2000s

Con

Barthheart