Adventures In Counter Clipping

Started by Nefaro, February 17, 2016, 02:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

My will finally broke and I ordered the Oregon Laminations 2mm corner rounder from Amazon.

Was worried I'd lament dropping $50 on one of these instead of spending it on other gaming OCD goods.  Or yet another game, even.  But I can see that I'll have no buyer's remorse if it lasts plenty of uses.

*.. and when I get one that has even cutting guides on both sides.*

Be warned.  There is evidently an imperfect batch of 2mm rounders at the Amazon warehouse which is getting returned to them, but they keep putting them back in stock and sending them out.  Mine had some small telltale signs of previous light use in addition to the uneven cutter which people have been recently reporting in the review on Amazon. 

Gonna ship it back and try the 2.5mm in the hopes that it's cutting guide isn't flawed like this batch of 2mm ones that keep coming back like Malaria.

This hasn't been the first time I was sent a defective product from an Amazon warehouse which had obviously been returned to them previously.  Late last year, they sent me a supposedly new game which had no shrink wrap and was missing a part.  Only started getting these flawed returned items in the past few months.  :knuppel2:

mirth

I can sense that my next gaming purchase is going to be a counter clipper.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: mirth on February 17, 2016, 02:59:50 PM
I can sense that my next gaming purchase is going to be a counter clipper.

LIES!

Should I mark a little greeting on the small model # tag for when you get this one I just returned?  We could just pass it around the group.  :D

Barthheart

Another lost soul...... when will the madness end.....  :'(

mirth

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm going to order from Amazon. Or maybe I'll wait until you try the 2.5mm model and can give us a review.  ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on February 17, 2016, 03:09:16 PM
Another lost soul...... when will the madness end.....  :'(

Sorry, man. I joined the cult some time ago. The only reason most of my counters aren't clipped is because they are still unpunched.

bbmike

I ordered mine from Amazon. The only problem I had was that it wasn't aligned and wouldn't even close! But there are two hex (or star?) head screws on the plate that allows you to adjust it. Once I did that everything was fine.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on February 17, 2016, 04:42:03 PM
I ordered mine from Amazon. The only problem I had was that it wasn't aligned and wouldn't even close! But there are two hex (or star?) head screws on the plate that allows you to adjust it. Once I did that everything was fine.

The plates were fine with this one.  However, there are two vertical guide bars,  inside & flush with the plates, between the open spaces where the clippings can fall through. 

The one myself and some recent reviewers received has one of those which isn't flush with where the plates meet.  So when you slide a counter into the guide, it will go too far inside the clip line on the one side and slice a bit too much off one side of the counter. 

You can see some of the recent reviews mentioning this problem (with pics) here:

Amazon Review with good pic of issue

Amazon Review with another

Just a heads-up for those looking to get a 2mm version in the near future.

Beware The (uneven) Guides Of March!

QuoteEDIT:
I received and email from the manufacturer that they have sorted out the flaw and the next batch will be just perfect.

This holds some promise that it may eventually get fixed, but the current re-shipping of the defective ones by Amazon is still a problem.

I'd prefer to have the 2mm over the 2.5 but I'll just start getting furious if they keep sending me units from the bad batch which keep getting returned.  I may try it once to see if I get lucky (bonk-chika-baowww).

-

Pinetree

Yeah, my 2mm has that problem too. Only 1 of the sides is not flush with mine so I was using the other side but I did notice some early clippings were taking off more than they should. I bought mine direct from Oregon Laminations but I'm way past my 30 day replacement period.

edit: Bugger it, sent them an email anyway and see what they say...
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Nefaro

Quote from: Pinetree on February 18, 2016, 01:25:22 AM
Yeah, my 2mm has that problem too. Only 1 of the sides is not flush with mine so I was using the other side but I did notice some early clippings were taking off more than they should. I bought mine direct from Oregon Laminations but I'm way past my 30 day replacement period.

edit: Bugger it, sent them an email anyway and see what they say...

Yep, that's the one.

Hopefully they can do something about it. 

Pinetree

Got an email back from them, they'll replace it with one from the new batch. I just have to pay for the shipping. Sounds fair to me.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

bbmike

Thanks for the photos & links, guys. My 2.5mm definitely doesn't have that problem! I would certainly return it if it did. Glad to hear they are replacing your, Pinetree.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Yeah, sounds like a reasonable fix.  O0

I returned the 2mm to Amazon and ordered a 2.5mm since those don't seem to currently have the problem.  We'll see when it arrives tomorrow.

bob48

Search as I may, I cannot find anyone in the UK who sells them.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Nefaro

Quote from: bob48 on February 19, 2016, 04:19:43 PM
Search as I may, I cannot find anyone in the UK who sells them.

Bloody savages!   :o

With their un-trimmed bits hanging out.  Cardboard sasquatch bikini lines.  Oh, the humanity!