A.I. in any boardgame for solo play can be done like this

Started by gameleaper, May 08, 2016, 08:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gameleaper

choosing good moves or making decisions is why you give them the correct percentage score(I'm sorry if I wasn't clear) a 90% move is 9 times more likely than a 10% move.

I can play chess, so choosing candidate moves is more possible to choose with some idea, chess players will also be able to choose I think, remember - you will always ne able to play to your own ability.

I have played chess with this system

Nefaro

My best solitaire experiences for strategy games have generally been those that used at least one deck of cards, sometimes more, to run the automated opponent. 

As GJK suggested with his example of D-Day At Omaha Beach/Tarawa (or the ancestrally related RAF), the small lists of priority actions or what is essentially individualized flow charts tend to make for a good mix of variety, logic, and surprise. 

Such "AI" mechanics doesn't necessarily need to be on a deck of cards.  But that's the cleanest & most user-friendly format IMO.  It keeps each action in bite-sized chunks that doesn't require a bunch of cross-referencing of multiple player aids and/or books since the info on what the opponent does is all right there on one card.  No die-roll(s), just draw a card and go through it.

I have numerous war & adventure games that use such a system and nearly every one of my favorites use it.

Of course, creating such a card-driven opponent is an assload of work and testing.  So not something you just toss together on the fly.  I have seen occasional User-Created variants of multi-player games which add an automated opponent run by cards.  I've used the one for Descent a few times, for example, but not yet the ones for Imperial Assault from the same creator.  It was more enjoyable than the percentile roll ones, and faster playing too. 

That's not to say there isn't a place for randomly rolling when you want a random choice to be made.  Just that the extra time spent on deck-run solo opponents is appreciable. 

gameleaper

Quote from: Nefaro on May 11, 2016, 04:10:48 PM
My best solitaire experiences for strategy games have generally been those that used at least one deck of cards, sometimes more, to run the automated opponent. 

As GJK suggested with his example of D-Day At Omaha Beach/Tarawa (or the ancestrally related RAF), the small lists of priority actions or what is essentially individualized flow charts tend to make for a good mix of variety, logic, and surprise. 

Such "AI" mechanics doesn't necessarily need to be on a deck of cards.  But that's the cleanest & most user-friendly format IMO.  It keeps each action in bite-sized chunks that doesn't require a bunch of cross-referencing of multiple player aids and/or books since the info on what the opponent does is all right there on one card.  No die-roll(s), just draw a card and go through it.

I have numerous war & adventure games that use such a system and nearly every one of my favorites use it.

Of course, creating such a card-driven opponent is an assload of work and testing.  So not something you just toss together on the fly.  I have seen occasional User-Created variants of multi-player games which add an automated opponent run by cards.  I've used the one for Descent a few times, for example, but not yet the ones for Imperial Assault from the same creator.  It was more enjoyable than the percentile roll ones, and faster playing too. 

That's not to say there isn't a place for randomly rolling when you want a random choice to be made.  Just that the extra time spent on deck-run solo opponents is appreciable.

I have used cards and dice for random games(and I loved these sorts of games) I even look especialy for roguelike games to buy, but my system pre-defines the possible actions then rolls percentage dice to choose the action, the system is not true random, the system thinks and has objectives based on the players ability, so an expected move of say 80% would most of the time happen 4 more times than a 20% action, . the trick is the percentage you give is based on best possible action first then second and maybe a 1% blunder. so the opponent actualy acts with thought not! random.

you can only ever have 100% worth of actions the split is 100% devided between all actions, this is because a human can process 100% easy, each action has a percentage based on how likely it is to happen. its the lower percentage actions when they ocure really change the game, but there not random ,there thought out too

I learned this system from RPG freeform thinking and the need for an ASL opponent, as I play ASL pver a day or two(I'm very slow)

gameleaper

Nef imagine you had a solo game running as you mentioned with 2 dexks of cards maybe (104 cards) , now imagine you invade an island with 3 ships and a unit of commandoes, I ask you now to select the relavant cards only!, card1 "commandoes attack gun emplacements"  card2 "commandoes dig in at the beach" card3 "commandoes run as far inland as they can" card4 "commandoes wait for support"

now its time to create a decision percentage piechart  72% commandoes attack gun emplacements to protect ships from being attacked, 20 % commandoes dig in at the beach, 6 % commandoes run as far inland as they can, 2% commandoes wait for support.

now roll the 2 d10s for card to use ,
its not random . its pre thought out, but you don't know whats going to happen prior the roll

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on May 09, 2016, 07:04:00 PM
Quote from: gameleaper on May 09, 2016, 02:48:11 PM
the idea is to make a few rational plans , then decide on which with dice, this gives the plans well thought out responses that are not random,

any number of percentages can be used , no magic numbers

Well.. that's not anything most of us haven't thought about in the past.

I just thought you were emphasizing that specific mix of probabilities as the most interesting.

This was my thought. I have been playing board games solo for 50+ years...and this has ALWAYS been my technique.

Let's take this one step further...add a third ten-sided die, and you can have exceptionally rare events happen. You then have a THOUSAND different events/happenings available.