BOC: Birth of Civilization

Started by RedArgo, February 07, 2020, 12:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedArgo

Stumbled on to this on reddit, another Civ style game coming up to go along with Humankind.  Hopefully they are both great additions to the genre.  Supposed to be in early access this year.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1159150/BOC/

Rayfer

Quote from: RedArgo on February 07, 2020, 12:45:58 PM
Stumbled on to this on reddit, another Civ style game coming up to go along with Humankind.  Hopefully they are both great additions to the genre.  Supposed to be in early access this year.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1159150/BOC/

Saw this too. Judging strictly on visuals it is stunning.  But will have to wait and see if it's any good with game play.

steve58

Looks great.  Going to add it to my watch list.  Seems it had a kickstarter, but was cancelled?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Martok

I stumbled across this one a while ago.  Was impressed enough to contribute to the failed KS campaign, despite it being little more than a cool tech demo. 

As it is, I have BoC added to my Steam wishlist.  I realize ambitious-looking projects like this often don't pan out, but I remain cautiously hopeful even so. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Rayfer

Quote from: Martok on February 08, 2020, 12:14:01 AM
I stumbled across this one a while ago.  Was impressed enough to contribute to the failed KS campaign, despite it being little more than a cool tech demo. 

As it is, I have BoC added to my Steam wishlist.  I realize ambitious-looking projects like this often don't pan out, but I remain cautiously hopeful even so.

Just curious...I have never contributed to KS and know little about it.  Am I correct in assuming you got your contribution back after it failed?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on February 08, 2020, 07:50:27 AM

Just curious...I have never contributed to KS and know little about it.  Am I correct in assuming you got your contribution back after it failed?

Assuming the campaign never reached the funding it needed and never was successful, I don't think anyone would lose their money.  When you sign up for a campaign you pick a contribution level, you don't get charged until the campaign is deemed successful.  Now if the campaign was deemed successful and then failed after someone was charged, I believe you do lose your money (I guess unless the company returns it on their own).  Luckily, I have never lost money after a campaign was successful:)

Martok

Quote from: Rayfer on February 08, 2020, 07:50:27 AM

Correct.  In fact, you're never charged at all, unless/until the Kickstarter campaign successfully reaches its minimum goal, so you never "lose" you contribution in the first place. 

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 08, 2020, 09:04:09 AMNow if the campaign was deemed successful and then failed after someone was charged, I believe you do lose your money (I guess unless the company returns it on their own). 
Also correct.  Unfortunately, I *have* lost money on a couple "successful" Kickstarter campaigns that ended up not producing anything (both were PC games), which has made me much more wary of KS projects over the years.  So it says a lot that I was still willing to put up money for BoC -- maybe that I'm just a sucker still.  ::) 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

JasonPratt

Quotedue to the size of our maps, exploring will be different, we won't have a fog of war because units' sight will be limited literally by the Earth's curvature, yes, our maps have exactly same earth's curvature!

...um. I mean... having curves for your vast tracts of land is nice and exciting, and all. But.... I'm trying to be polite here... I don't think the developer knows what "fog of war" means. Like, he thinks it's a literal fog? Maybe? Even then, literal fog within the line of sight of Earth's curvature might still pretty easily obscure knowledge of the enemy in various ways.

Edited to add: "Literally, you will be able to feel your army"... nnnnnnnooooo, I don't think I want that...  #:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

To be fair, I like the basic concept of building the game from an attempt at simming a global environment as the fundamental basis for opportunities and limitations in the game.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 08, 2020, 02:04:13 PM
Quotedue to the size of our maps, exploring will be different, we won't have a fog of war because units' sight will be limited literally by the Earth's curvature, yes, our maps have exactly same earth's curvature!

...um. I mean... having curves for your vast tracts of land is nice and exciting, and all. But.... I'm trying to be polite here... I don't think the developer knows what "fog of war" means. Like, he thinks it's a literal fog? Maybe? Even then, literal fog within the line of sight of Earth's curvature might still pretty easily obscure knowledge of the enemy in various ways.

Edited to add: "Literally, you will be able to feel your army"... nnnnnnnooooo, I don't think I want that...  #:-)
I'm not sure English is his first language, which I suspect in turn leads to occasional/slight translation issues.  So it's very possible that he really doesn't know what "fog of war" means. 

I don't want to be able to "literally" feel my army either, though.  On that, we definitely agree.  :P 

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 08, 2020, 02:08:08 PM
To be fair, I like the basic concept of building the game from an attempt at simming a global environment as the fundamental basis for opportunities and limitations in the game.  O0
Same.  It was that, combined with BoC's scale, that drew me to the project. 

AchillesLastStand

Added this as well as Humankind to my wish list.
BOC however starts in the Ice Age and ends at the Fall of Rome.
Humankind I presume{?} basically has the same timeline as any Civ. game.
Cant wait......