Origins 2018 ~ June 13-17 (Columbus OH)

Started by bayonetbrant, June 21, 2017, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

It is an unending wonder to me that Origins and GenCon struggle on this year after year.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

You'd think they could afford some additional server resources.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

They released an update to the schedule this morning. Prevailing opinion is that the update didn't correctly load to the registration database. The errors are coming from people trying to register for events that don't exist anymore because they're working from an old copy of the event grid and not the new one that was released today.  Couple that with the probability that the new event grid didn't correctly load into the backend database, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Of course it helps when people continually ping the website over and over and essentially bury it under a DDOS attack  ::)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 02, 2018, 04:56:38 PM
Of course it helps when people continually ping the website over and over and essentially bury it under a DDOS attack  ::)

Yeah, it's the registrants' fault  ::)

mirth

They released an update to the schedule this morning. Prevailing opinion is that the update didn't correctly load to the registration database. The errors are coming from people trying to register for events that don't exist anymore because they're working from an old copy of the event grid and not the new one that was released today.  Couple that with the probability that the new event grid didn't correctly load into the backend database, and you have a recipe for disaster.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

QuoteWe're still working through the issues with the portal and truly appreciate your patience as we sort through this. The registration portal is running, but is still moving very slow. Use the link below to bypass the website and go directly to the registration portal. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We will be back with more information once we receive updates.

https://gama.eventready.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=reg.accessMyReg&event_id=32

from GAMA on FB
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Just went back and tried again.

When the event showed on the schedule, I could not actually register for it.  I know many of the events are on the schedule because I'm a member of the group that is running the events.  I'm on a listserv that the Rogue Cthulhu people are bitching about events not showing up at all.

Origins organizers deserve to be fired if they have anything to do with this software situation.  To have this happen year after year is inexcusable. 

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on May 02, 2018, 05:28:17 PM
When the event showed on the schedule, I could not actually register for it.  I know many of the events are on the schedule because I'm a member of the group that is running the events.  I'm on a listserv that the Rogue Cthulhu people are bitching about events not showing up at all.

check the newest version of the schedule to make sure the event # didn't change

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on May 02, 2018, 04:58:27 PM

no, but you know it's harder to fix when everyone's hitting the server

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 02, 2018, 05:34:04 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 02, 2018, 04:58:27 PM

no, but you know it's harder to fix when everyone's hitting the server

Maybe don't make breaking changes on the day reg opens.

bayonetbrant

Cyrano

[/quote]

Maybe don't make breaking changes on the day reg opens.
[/quote]

I know what does this.  I see it with disturbing regularity, viz.: you've got no one to stress test with and, worse, have no or a limited dev. environment.  So you throw the switch and hope for the best.

Comes out right with the frequency of successful land wars in Asia.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

airboy

I've registered for 9 events - but some are placeholders.

The system is still screwed up.  Rogue Cthulhu's schedule does not show up after Thursday.  Pretty much all of the Tabletop games are not showing up.

This is an utter screwup, even worse than last year.

The convention runs annually.  They should have worked out the bugs by now.