Origins 2018 ~ June 13-17 (Columbus OH)

Started by bayonetbrant, June 21, 2017, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

There were discussions in FKA about the utility of My Lil Pony cavalry...
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

the My Lil Pony cav would slaughter the Smurfs
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on June 22, 2018, 08:41:02 AM

Duh!  They're mounted!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on June 22, 2018, 08:41:02 AM

It's like you were there!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Stupid Smurfs probably wouldn't even be able to form square.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

panzerde

I don't think the little blue bastards even have buttons on their uniforms!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bayonetbrant

Official from the Origins web page this morning

QuoteThat's a wrap on Origins 2018!

· Attendance hit another record high at 18,648, an increase of 1,647 from 2017.

· Turnstile attendance also hit a record high at 70,765, an increase of 11,807 from 2017.

Origins continues to experience growth while maintaining a relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere. Every year, the show expands its range in entertainment, offering events and activities that target different fandoms and interests.

From all our staff, board of directors, volunteers, exhibitors and show co-sponsor, Dungeons & Dragons, we want to share a huge THANK YOU!

Origins Game Fair 2019 is scheduled to be held June 12-16 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center. Hotel blocks with group rates will open for reservations September 2018.

That jives with what we've seen elsewhere, but this is the official version :)

(and surprisingly, the page didn't crash when accessing this)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

From Origins 6

GAMA Members,

An incident arose through social media at Origins this year pointing out some specific allegations of harassment.

This illicit behavior is a clear violation of our show policies.

This serious allegation has not been taken lightly. We are committed to handling this in a thorough and professional manner. To ensure that a thorough review of any allegation is conducted, we must have statements from individuals with firsthand knowledge of the event. Unfortunately, that did not happen in this instance so gathering the information is taking more time. We understand that it can be difficult to come forward and share a statement after an incident occurs, but with the cooperation from individuals involved we can address these situations in a timely fashion.

As we demonstrated earlier this year, we take harassment very seriously and are committed to providing a safe, welcoming and fun environment for everyone at the show.

We are interviewing all parties involved and gathering statements from witnesses who viewed the incident firsthand. We owe all parties involved a fair process to gather the facts and discern as much as possible those confirmed elements before we act. The ramifications of an unjustified response are simply irreplaceably damaging.

Part of our process review is acknowledging that we need to broaden the community services available for attendees at the show. This includes less intrusive methods for reporting issues of harassment while still ensuring we have firsthand reporting and providing a more welcoming setting if an attendee is not comfortable with speaking directly to law enforcement or show staff.

We are working with the community to enhance those services, adding Victim Services staff as another avenue for attendees to report violations. We are also working with the Columbus Police Department to establish an online reporting process that is immediately accessible to everyone, less intrusive yet still capable of channeling vital information to us on-site so we can act appropriately. We want this process to be non-intrusive and user-friendly so that any person experiencing/witnessing harassment feels comfortable reporting the issue.

It is very important that if you are being harassed or are in any way endangered, you report it immediately. We cannot address issues that are unreported and void specific details that only those individuals with firsthand knowledge can provide.

The idea that this sort of behavior is happening disturbs us greatly and we simply will not tolerate harassment in any form.

We want to work together as a community to ensure that everyone is being treated fairly and equally.

Thank you

bayonetbrant

mirth

Nailed it
Quote"I'm tired of being polite and non-accusatory," writes abigalia. "There is a problem with how women are treated in this hobby. It's not the Magic players. It's not a few random men. It's pervasive and it's frustrating and, since it doesn't impact the majority, it's not taken seriously. At the same time, men wonder why so few women are in the hobby. Often, I see a lack of interest in difficult games blamed. That's wrong. The reason women don't join the hobby is not the games, it's the men."

OJsDad

Just so I clear, the accuser never reported this during Origins, but posted on Facebook later. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on June 22, 2018, 08:00:58 PM
Just so I clear, the accuser never reported this during Origins, but posted on Facebook later. 

Nope.

OJsDad

Ok, so she did report it at Origins. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on June 22, 2018, 08:07:41 PM
Ok, so she did report it at Origins. 

Yes and she was not the one who first broke it to social media.

OJsDad