The Bright Side of the Coronavirus

Started by Labbug, February 29, 2020, 12:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

And another, morbid, benefit would be solving the financial crisis in US Medicare/Social Security.

JasonPratt

For a while. ;)

When I look at the China map for nitrogen dioxide rates, I think about the massive supply chains that's going to break, not only locally for China but around the world.

As Napoleon once said, amateurs study the environment; professionals study logistics. ....or words to that effect. >:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Quote from: bobarossa on March 03, 2020, 01:36:10 PM
And another, morbid, benefit would be solving the financial crisis in US Medicare/Social Security.

Ouch!

airboy

U.S.—The nation's nerds woke up in a utopia this morning, one where everyone stays inside, sporting events are being canceled, and all social interaction is forbidden.

All types of nerds, from social introverts to hardcore PC gamers, welcomed the dawn of this new era, privately from their own homes.

"I have been waiting my whole life for this moment," said Ned Pendleton, 32 -- via text message, of course -- as he fired up League of Legends on his beefy gaming PC. "They told me to take up a sport and that the kids playing basketball and stuff were gonna be way more successful than we nerds who played Counter-Strike at LAN parties every weekend."

"They all laughed at me. Well, who's laughing now?"

To prepare for the onslaught of the deadly disease, nerds are changing absolutely nothing and are expected to rise up to rule the post-Coronavirus society, as they are the ones best adjusted to being sheltered in a basement, garage, or room for many days at a time marathoning Halo, Half-Life, The Legend of Zelda, Red Dead Redemption, or Horizon Zero Dawn. They're also ready for any post-apocalyptic wasteland, as they've played many, many hours of Fallout and are adept and killing bloatflies and collecting bottlecaps.

Of course, many nerds are running out of hygienic products, but they say that's "not an issue."

See: https://babylonbee.com/news/nations-nerds-wake-up-in-utopia-where-everyone-stays-inside-sports-canceled-social-interaction-forbidden
or the facebook pages of many here.

Sir Slash

Just got back from my Friday morning trip to the bank and shopping. People are CRAZY out there today! I managed to score one, whole, complete pack of toilet paper by fighting it out of the hands of half-a-dozen people who were trying to beat me to it. I had to run with it like we were playing rugby and I had the ball. Fortunately my stiff-arm still works, so sorry to the fat lady I ran over and her kid but this is SURVIVAL here.

On the bright side, now I know what to get my wife for our next anniversary.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 13, 2020, 10:52:01 AM
Just got back from my Friday morning trip to the bank and shopping. People are CRAZY out there today! I managed to score one, whole, complete pack of toilet paper by fighting it out of the hands of half-a-dozen people who were trying to beat me to it. I had to run with it like we were playing rugby and I had the ball. Fortunately my stiff-arm still works, so sorry to the fat lady I ran over and her kid but this is SURVIVAL here.

On the bright side, now I know what to get my wife for our next anniversary.  :dreamer:

Good to see that people are just as stupid all over the world.  Here too there are empty tp racks while corona does not cause diarrhea as far as i know.

Today in many places, the police had to control traffic at the entrances and exits of department store car parks. And extra security personnel were deployed  :pullhair:  :uglystupid2:.

airboy

There is all kinds of stupid in Alabama also.  My State has no confirmed cases thus far - yet when I went to Wal-Mart to get stuff to make chili for poker it was nuts.  All of the toilet paper and paper towels were gone.  Almost all of the bottled water was gone.  It was like a major hurricane was on the way.

We always have enough food for several months on hand (as long as the power does not go out).  And we stock up when prices are low on nonperishables such as toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex (we both have bad allergies and keep a large stock on hand) etc..... 

Pete Dero

Google translated an article in Dutch :

Why people hoard toilet paper

The first images of empty toilet paper racks have already surfaced. Photos of carts loaded with toilet paper rolls as well. Those who hoard cannot seem to get around toilet paper. It is a phenomenon that occurs more often with impending doom.

Steven Taylor, a Canadian mass psychologist and author of the book The Psychology of Pandemics, sees it as a form of mass hysteria that is not uncommon in pandemics. He predicts that the toilet paper hype will be a temporary phenomenon. Disease outbreaks often lead to herd behavior, in which people imitate each other without thinking. The fear often spreads faster than the virus itself. "There is always a small group of people who are extremely anxious," he said in an interview with the Australian Financial Review. "They overreact and infect others with their fear."

In fact, these are the people we call early adopters in the fashion and technology world. They are at the forefront of an increasingly large group of people who mimic each other's behavior. What plays an important role are images. Photos of empty toilet papers go viral through social media. More is not necessary to drive people to the supermarket. "Images are efficient means of spreading fear," says Taylor. The idea behind it is that there is a shortage, and that you therefore fish behind the net if you do not act immediately.

It is less clear why exactly toilet paper is massively hammered. In the event of long-term quarantine, a solid stock of shelf-stable food seems more useful than a mass of toilet paper. In case of emergency you can always resort to old newspapers. The United States Department of Homeland Security advises the population to have two weeks' supply of food, water, toiletries and medicines in the event of a pandemic. However, no advice has been provided on toilet paper.

Gusington

Reporting from Orange County NY, the manager of the local price club told The Wife that the store was 'absolute insanity' and not to come. She complied, which really is something because she loves that store. Stay salty, everyone.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Local Costco shutdown by.... fire marshal for over crowding!! :P

W8taminute

Oh the irony.  Internet killed the newspaper so the advice you can always stock up on old newspapers is obsolete.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Pete Dero

Quote from: W8taminute on March 13, 2020, 02:26:38 PM
Oh the irony.  Internet killed the newspaper so the advice you can always stock up on old newspapers is obsolete.

You can always try the smartphone you use to replace the newspaper ...

I still have a real newspaper subscription but it is printed on micro thick paper so  :hide:.

Martok

Quote from: airboy on March 12, 2020, 12:56:16 PM
U.S.—The nation's nerds woke up in a utopia this morning, one where everyone stays inside, sporting events are being canceled, and all social interaction is forbidden.

All types of nerds, from social introverts to hardcore PC gamers, welcomed the dawn of this new era, privately from their own homes.

"I have been waiting my whole life for this moment," said Ned Pendleton, 32 -- via text message, of course -- as he fired up League of Legends on his beefy gaming PC. "They told me to take up a sport and that the kids playing basketball and stuff were gonna be way more successful than we nerds who played Counter-Strike at LAN parties every weekend."

"They all laughed at me. Well, who's laughing now?"

To prepare for the onslaught of the deadly disease, nerds are changing absolutely nothing and are expected to rise up to rule the post-Coronavirus society, as they are the ones best adjusted to being sheltered in a basement, garage, or room for many days at a time marathoning Halo, Half-Life, The Legend of Zelda, Red Dead Redemption, or Horizon Zero Dawn. They're also ready for any post-apocalyptic wasteland, as they've played many, many hours of Fallout and are adept and killing bloatflies and collecting bottlecaps.

Of course, many nerds are running out of hygienic products, but they say that's "not an issue."

See: https://babylonbee.com/news/nations-nerds-wake-up-in-utopia-where-everyone-stays-inside-sports-canceled-social-interaction-forbidden
or the facebook pages of many here.

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces