What are you doing different as a shut-in?

Started by airboy, March 25, 2020, 04:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Some folks are having to work extra hard (medical care workers like Con's and Jarhead's wives) or are having to take care of kids who are out of school.

What are you doing differently at home during the outbreak that you either don't usually do or are doing a lot less of?

We are doing massive cleaning.  Wrigley was incontenant the last six months of her life.  I am literally scrubbing floors with a stiff bristle brush on a mop length handle and wiping up the stuff with old towels.  Do that twice, then hit with odor neutralizer twice.  In addition to the kitchen floor, we also thoroughly scrubbed every cabinet, counter, and the fridge.  I'm having to do the rest of the tile floors that Wrigley hit in stages because I'm old.  Should finish this project up in two weeks or so since it also includes cleaning and deodorizing all of the furniture.  We had not thoroughly cleaned the tile floors in a decade - and tile is in about 40% of the house.  The laminate floors can be steam mopped - and we have already done all of those before this virus hit.

Today I pressure washed all trash cans and outdoor garbage cans.

Like everyone else, we are cooking at home more.

What I'm doing less of is playing games.  I cannot work outside long due to pollen & allergies.  I can't do the out of home stuff we normally do (bars & church - like Good Catholics we miss you).  And the cleaning stuff is taking a lot of time.

JasonPratt

Oh, hey, as long as you brought it up, I've been meaning to look this up under the circumstances so I'll ask you, since you're handy!  O:-)

How you y'all continue the Mass now? Or do you? Originally the primary function of deacons {diakones} was to carry the elements of the Eucharist to people who couldn't come to church; so I would guess that's the way, but I don't know.

I'm asking ecumenically, of course, not from the stance of being a Baptist -- other than some ignorance from being a Baptist. ;) I read a ton more than most Baptists do, but I've been searching my memory and I can't recall ever reading how our older brothers in the RCC and EOx and related groups deal with the Supper during pandemics.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

I'm lucky that this is changed my daily routine almost not at all. 

My wife and I have both been making a good living from home for the last two years. 

I guess the main change is I'm going out to the grocery less.  We're getting more hand deliveries.

We still have a weekly pen and paper RPG with our also shut in friends, but we may be moving that to Discord as things close off.

I have a distinct and pretty active lack of religion, so not much change there either. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

88mmkwk

OK - you asked so I'll fess up....

My wife and I (both healthy and in our mid 50's) are blessed enough to be fully paid to work from home during this crisis.  After 33 years of marriage and with kids grown, out of the house and self-supporting, you might think the new close quarters are a problem.  She and I have our work computers 5 feet apart all day every day for the last two weeks.  You asked what is different as a shut-in and lets just say that my wife looks amazing for her age and her active welcoming of unscheduled work breaks is an unanticipated benefit of our lock-in situation.... Holy crap I never anticipated this!  I hope it's ok to relay a beacon of joy in our lives as a result of this otherwise terrible situation!!

:D  :smitten:  \m/  :peace:
Gaming Rig:
HP Spectre x360 Convertible Laptop w/Pen Support
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz w/16GB RAM
HP Omen Thunderbolt 3 External GPU/Storage Chassis with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti and 1TB SSD
27" Dell S2716DG 144Hz 1440p with GSync at 2560x1440

-----------------------------------
"Still here and alive. On kindlenso thisnwill be short.  Of wtf.
Day 3 to.borrow.  weather is bad.  Had first fall; good call on gloves.  Heavy rain tomorrow.ngut check.  Inshall prevail.  Jesus thisnisnworse than a drunk post.  F you kindle."        - Toonces

GroggyGrognard

My girlfriend and I are already modern day hermits, so there hasn't been any big changes in our domestic life due to the pandemic. We did buy more non perishable food for our designated "zombie apocalypse" storage. The only real adjustment for my girlfriend is that she had to transition her brick and mortar college courses that she teaches to online for the rest of the semester. And, in any case, it wasn't that big of an adjustment for her because in the world of higher education, she prefers to teach online. I have a four day break from working at the medical center, so we plan on being full time hermits by playing MORE games and watching MORE streaming content.

As a healthcare professional, not only do I feel a sense of fulfillment that I make a contribution (no matter how big or small.) to a patient's quality of life, but that I also am grateful I have a job.

Grogs, we are only at the tip of the COVID-19 iceberg. It's only going to get worse in the coming weeks. And it's already bad now.

Even at my small medical center we have patients who are possible COVID-19 positive come through our ER. The number of patients are not large and significant, but it happens everyday. And modeling predicts we are 2-3 weeks from a hospitalization wave, and we may see a peak in late April or early May.

I hold in my thoughts the other healthcare professionals across the country working tirelessly to help patients. This is a difficult time.

Remember, STAY HOME and AVOID GROUPS. And play LOTS OF WARGAMES. And wash your hands after pushing cardboard counters and rolling dice.

Groggy

"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

SirAndrewD

Right now my biggest takeaway is that I still like Order of Battle with all it's DLC  a LOT more than Panzer Corps 2.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Yskonyn

With airlines being pretty much grounded there isn't much to do for me, except training. So I am mostly at home taking care of homeschooling the kids and maintaining the house, while my wife works much more than she usually does because she is a nurse.

I can relate to the 'less gaming' issue. My time gets eaten by managing daily life for the family and on top of that I feel that when I finally have a moment to sit down with a game my mind is just tired and I don't feel like playing anything difficult or visceral.
So, I bought Animal Crossing New Horizons on the Switch and while its definitely not game I would normally play, I must admit I am having a great time with it.
Me and the kids share the virtual island and as time goes by in real time in the virtual world there is no stress involved with trying to tick off achievements or whatever.
Its a cute little life 'sim' where each cycle of 24 hrs your resources on the island respawn and once they are harvested its done for the day.
It poses a great oppertunity to learn the children how to share and how to cooperate, because if one nicks all the stone, the others don't have it anymore for a whole day.

One tip; make sure that the player who is likely to play most (and knows what he or she is doing) creates the island first. That player will remain 'boss' and is the only one that can push the story forward.
Its a weird design decision, but it does provide great incentive to start planning and discussing the game with your kids.

On a practical note: the Switch is THE console for a time like this, I feel. Its portability is especially handy for 'in between' sessions.

Back to chores: we are also deep cleaning the house.
Yesterday my wife had a great idea to get the children of the street outside; we made 'lanes' on a field nearby to keep people distanced from each other and she made a fun little sports tournament event with all kinds of games.

Parents could work at home this way and the kids could release some energy. It was great fun and much appreciated in the community.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jamus34

My job is mostly 3rd party management of co-manufactures so 1) it's not critical for me to be in the office anyway and 2) I work from home pretty regularly anyway.

It is an adjustment having the wife and kids home too.

I have been playing a lot of games, reading a lot more. Also trying to learn some new things too.

Weathers been mostly crap but if I get a good weekend I'll clean out the garage.
Insert witty comment here.

airboy

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 26, 2020, 01:26:02 AM
Right now my biggest takeaway is that I still like Order of Battle with all it's DLC  a LOT more than Panzer Corps 2.

If you have not already done so, you should download Erik2's campaigns from the Slitherine Website.  I've finished the German 39-40 campaign and am deep in the North Africa campaign.  His designs are excellent and overall more challenging than the official campaigns.   

airboy

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 25, 2020, 04:53:02 PM
Oh, hey, as long as you brought it up, I've been meaning to look this up under the circumstances so I'll ask you, since you're handy!  O:-)

How you y'all continue the Mass now? Or do you? Originally the primary function of deacons {diakones} was to carry the elements of the Eucharist to people who couldn't come to church; so I would guess that's the way, but I don't know.

I'm asking ecumenically, of course, not from the stance of being a Baptist -- other than some ignorance from being a Baptist. ;) I read a ton more than most Baptists do, but I've been searching my memory and I can't recall ever reading how our older brothers in the RCC and EOx and related groups deal with the Supper during pandemics.

The Archbishop of Mobile ordered all Masses closed to the public.  The priests say Mass every day (streamed on the web now). The plan is to have public Mass on Good Friday.  The Archbishop has given a general dispensation for Mass attendance on Sundays and other Holy Days of Obligation and attending confession due to the health concerns.  The last two Sundays we had Mass before the large public gathering order the Cup was not distributed.

Confessions are being heard daily (from behind the screen and at a six foot distance) and the Church is open for those who wish to pray - you just have to keep your distance.  Food pantry is also open.

However, "whenever two or more people are gathered in my name, I am present."  My wife and I are doing the Sunday readings together along with the scriptural interpretation I have as a Lector (person who reads the Old Testament and New Testament readings - but not the Gospel). 

The Eucharist is still being delivered to shut-ins weekly - except those hospitalized and under restricted contact due to health orders.

JasonPratt

Thanks! -- curiosity sated.  O0

Quote from: airboy on March 26, 2020, 11:39:47 AM

If you have not already done so, you should download Erik2's campaigns from the Slitherine Website.  I've finished the German 39-40 campaign and am deep in the North Africa campaign.  His designs are excellent and overall more challenging than the official campaigns.   

So... he kind of ported the extended campaigns from PzCorp into PzCorp2?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 26, 2020, 04:16:37 PM
Thanks! -- curiosity sated.  O0

So... he kind of ported the extended campaigns from PzCorp into PzCorp2?

These are for Order of Battle (http://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=24338.0)

solops

Changed almost nothing for us. Grocery shopping is more difficult, but we stay stocked up anyway, shopping only two or three times a month. Right now, we could go three months without leaving the house but for prescriptions. Retirement is great unless we get sick and die. We live out in the country 10 miles from the nearest town. That town has a population of 1200.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

SirAndrewD

I'll give them a look.   There are actually a few OOB campaigns I own and haven't given a spin, so I'm leaning towards putting Panzer Corps 2 on the shelf for a bit and trying them. 

al_infierno

I'm a technical writer and I already worked from home 1 day out of the week (Wednesdays), so it's not been an awful transition for me.  I still have my job and I'm significantly less busy.  However, adjusting to working at home full-time has been a bit of a mixed bag.  Especially with so much less to do, it's too easy for me to get distracted :crazy2:  Overall I'm quite thankful for my situation.

The real big difference is that I'm cooking for myself a lot more, and I'm spending a lot more money on random games I otherwise wouldn't have bought.  I picked up the Resident Evil 2 remake for 50% off on Steam, and Piercing Fortress Europa for 50% off from Matrix.  I gotta say I'm pleasantly very surprised with Piercing Fortress's WEGO system -- I always wrote it off as a generic looking IGOUGO title, but so far I'm really digging the basic blow-by-blow gameplay, and the focus on the Italian theater is an interesting one I don't see tackled often.  Not my favorite theater by any means, but it's always good to switch things up  :coolsmiley:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao