Treasure trove

Started by Hartford688, March 04, 2012, 06:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hartford688

`Well I just went back to the UK to empty my old home goods store (put stuff in there 12 years ago, finally realised likely not going back anytime soon, tired of paying for it).

In amongst bits of junk, UK electrical goods etc, I opened a box and found:

AH Submarine
SPI Air War
GDW Fifth Frontier War
GDW Mayday!
TFG Star Fleet Battles plus Expansion 1
TFG Federation Space
Car Wars+ Sunday Drivers (I suspect a lot missing)
Starfire I, II and III

Gaming rules:

Once upon a time in the west
Operation Warboard (the book that got me into wargaming, soooo long ago)
Air battles in miniature
General Quarters I and II (WWI and WWII naval miniatures)
Several modern and WWII armour rulesets

RPGs:

Rolemaster - Character/Arms/Spell/Creature Law books, plus Rangers of the North module
SPI DragonQuest plus GM screen, Frontiers of Alusia map
Stormbringer
Other Suns

Absolute treasure trove - I thought these had gone long ago - but they had just gone from attic to storage.

Particularly entertaining as Starfire, Air War and DragonQuest came up in threads in just the last couple of weeks - serendipity indeed.

Shame I don't have anyone to play them with. But I'm still delighted. I may go get the Traveller ruleset to go with the related bits I found.

Sadly, my Gunslinger, C&S rules, Bushido and main Traveller stuff were not in the box...but that is getting greedy....!

My wife is just thrilled.

bayonetbrant

wow - very cool indeed :)

I'd love to get a look at that DQ Frontiers of Alusia map!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Hartford688

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 04, 2012, 07:14:38 AM

I'd love to get a look at that DQ Frontiers of Alusia map!

I'll see if I can do some kind of scan next week. 22"x34" so should be interesting...

besilarius

Hartford,  if you don't have access to an oversize scanner, Fedex Office has them in almost all their stores.
I believe you can have it done either Black&White or in full color.  The B&W should be much cheaper.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Hartford688

No Fedex Office here, but there may be someplace.

Now I'm at the bottom of the box, I now also have:

TFG's Intruder

I remember this one being lots of fun.

It has also provoked me to dig out my copy of Naval War from a cupboard upstairs - that was a great little game...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/328365/unreal-fun

Rules:

NavWar's Warship Commander (very complex naval rules 1967-1987)
Starhound (cheap n cheerful space fighters)
Retinue (Medieval skirmish rules)
Encounter One (starship rules)

son_of_montfort

Woah... that was a worthy find! Which DragonQuest is that? I can't find it on BGG.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Hartford688

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DragonQuest

An RPG published by SPI.

We played it a lot at a club in Scotland in the early 1980s. Somewhat tabletop based (good with miniatures) and flexible - less class restricted than D&D/AD&D.

Thoroughly enjoyed it as a system.Up there for me for fantasy RPG with Rolemaster and C&S.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Toonces

Man, and I was stoked when I found a 5 in my pocket!

Total score, dude!  Congrats.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

ken ellis

dragonquest on the geek; gotta go to the rpg side

though there were some boardgames that could be used with the rpg

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/43634/dragonquest-boxed-set-first-edition

this is the boxed set, 1st edition

2nd ed I believe:  the rules with a white cover, plenty of links here to follow

Arena of Death is the ares mag game using the combat system from the rpg, not sure if barbarian kings mated with the game or not.