Skeleton of WWII carrier pigeon found in UK chimney w/msg attached

Started by steve58, November 03, 2012, 03:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Considering that two of the groups in the msg already match (see image in thread), they should have a least a start.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Smuckatelli

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 25, 2012, 08:37:33 PM
Considering that two of the groups in the msg already match (see image in thread), they should have a least a start.

I dunno.....those look like the confirmation words. Each message had to have a 'word' to identify the sender. My four letter wrod was 'moon' if I didn't start the message with 'moon' it was not authenticated.

I really hope that they can find a way to decipher it but I don't think it is possible without a key.

LongBlade

Quote from: Smuckatelli on November 26, 2012, 09:14:49 AM

I dunno.....those look like the confirmation words. Each message had to have a 'word' to identify the sender. My four letter wrod was 'moon' if I didn't start the message with 'moon' it was not authenticated.

I really hope that they can find a way to decipher it but I don't think it is possible without a key.

One would think that with a computer you could generate enough keys to process every possible outcome and eventually solve it.

Whether anyone *wants* to allocate the resources? That's a different question.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Smuckatelli

Quote from: LongBlade on November 26, 2012, 10:11:44 AM
Quote from: Smuckatelli on November 26, 2012, 09:14:49 AM

One would think that with a computer you could generate enough keys to process every possible outcome and eventually solve it.

Whether anyone *wants* to allocate the resources? That's a different question.

I don't think it is possible without knowing the origin of the key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad

I remember catching my ghillie suit on fire when I was burning a page. It was windy so I crossed my ankles to form a block from the windy. The paper burned quickly but my ghillie also managed to catch fire.

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Smuckatelli

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 26, 2012, 04:03:22 PM
what HASNT happened to you?

Most of these things were forever forgotten until you lugheads force me to remember. Besides, it wasn't anything to be proud of, lucky for me the ghillie didn't burn as quickly as the one time pads.

See...now you done it again...I just remembered my 21st birthday, in the field at Camp Lejuene. After we secured for the night I found a fifth of Jack in my hooch. Later on that night, I determined that it was cold, put some lighter fluid in a canteen cup and had a nice warm fire going in the shelterhalves. In my drunken stupor I realized that the fire was getting higher....I didn't want to buy a new shelter half so in my drunk state, I determined to put water on the fire. This only raised the level of the fire...EAP consisted of me using a brand new cammie top to put the fire out. The fire was out but the cammie top had a perfect outline of a canteen cup.... I wore my flak jacket 24/7 until we got back to the barracks. 

You guys are innocent of bringing up the Bangui Smuck Torch Two Step.....that was either the Canadian of Swiss Missionaries......

Smuckatelli

Quote from: LongBlade on November 26, 2012, 05:08:58 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 26, 2012, 04:03:22 PM
what HASNT happened to you?

I don' think he's dated Lindsey Lohan.

No I haven't..but I did get Shakira to send Tomas some personalized gear.... 8)

GDS_Starfury

QuoteYou guys are innocent of bringing up the Bangui Smuck Torch Two Step.....that was either the Canadian of Swiss Missionaries......

only you could get the clap from a nun.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Quote from: Smuckatelli on November 26, 2012, 07:41:49 PMEAP consisted of me using a brand new cammie top to put the fire out. The fire was out but the cammie top had a perfect outline of a canteen cup

What you wear under your uniform is none of our concern.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Camo_Lingerie/Weber_Naked_North_Pink_Lace-Trimmed_Camisole_-_XL/Page_1/CMC3548609.html

Smuckatelli

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 26, 2012, 09:12:38 PM
QuoteYou guys are innocent of bringing up the Bangui Smuck Torch Two Step.....that was either the Canadian of Swiss Missionaries......

only you could get the clap from a nun.

Wrong again.....the only one that had sex in Bangui was my Czech Boxer with the nun's Normandie Boxer. Besides the nun was like 800 years old.

LongBlade

Cracked by a Canadian who used a similar code book to his Grandfather's from WWI.

Cracked in 17 minutes.

"Experts" believe the message is uncrackable.

My money is on the guy who was visited by the Good Idea Fairy.

Quote"It follows same sort of code they used in the first war," Young told NBC News. "I'm not saying my note is perfect, but I am saying the code is crackable and this one is pretty close."

It took Young, the editor of a local volunteer history group, 17 minutes to understand the message, which consists of 25 five-letter code groups.

He believes that the message was sent one afternoon in 1944, not long after the Allied landing at Normandy. It was written by an officer who was dropped behind enemy lines, confirming an earlier lunch-time note he sent giving the map coordinates of the Germans' guns and tanks. It also confirmed that several units of American and British troops had finally met up.

In addition to using his uncle's code book, Young double checked with infantry maps online to confirm his hypotheses.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/17/15970511-unbreakable-wwii-carrier-pigeon-code-cracked-says-canadian-enthusiast

Con

Thought this had already been posted

The code was cracked a little while ago.  Actually pretty dramatic stuff and if I was the seargent who had written it I would be pretty pissed that the pigeon decided to take a nap on a chimney.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248818/Hit-Jerrys-panzers--code-dead-wartime-pigeon-cracked.html

Con

LongBlade

steve58

How did I miss this?!  Thanks for posting, now I can finally sleep at night  ;D

Seriously, thanks.  I was hoping they'd crack it.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)