What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

About to start The Passage by Justin Cronin.

https://amzn.to/33i1Y5a

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

^ That sounds pretty interesting.  I just borrowed it for my Kindle.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Yeah I thought it appropriate for right now.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

nelmsm

Added it to my ever-growing wish list

airboy

If you want to read something about an engineered medical apocalypse with zombies, read Under a Graveyard Sky.  I have read the series several times and it is excellent.  The audio books are also very good.

Pete Dero

Love in the Time of Corona by Gabriel García Márquez (2020 edition)  8).

jamus34

Earth Abides is also a good post civilization book.
Insert witty comment here.

Windigo

Quote from: airboy on March 15, 2020, 08:55:20 PM
If you want to read something about an engineered medical apocalypse with zombies, read Under a Graveyard Sky.  I have read the series several times and it is excellent.  The audio books are also very good.
I think I will do that. Ever since I took the audio book version of Red Storm Rising with me to Cuba, I am hooked on this format.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

Have to admit I am not enjoying The Passage. Not because of the post-apocalypse (well maybe a little) but it is overly detailed and really unnecessarily long. It's about 850 pages long and feels like it could have been half that length. Struggling to finish. Won't be reading the sequels. Oh well...next!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I finished up Vol. 1 of Churchill's The World's Crisis recently, and before starting Vol.2 I've started Vol.5 on the East Front, since it serves as a giant one-volume appendix of what was going on over there across the other volumes. So I'll continue on there until the end of 1914, and then take Vol.2 in batches going forward. Kindle makes this easier than it otherwise would be (though I own all the books physically, too).  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

I'm starting "A Journal of the Plague Year" by Defoe.  I'm interested to see if there are any insights into our current situation.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

^I've been looking into reading that now too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

demjansk1942

I am almost done with Longerich's biography of Hitler at 1000 pages.  Then it's into a few Chernobyl books.

WallysWorld

Bought the first three of Osprey's "Modern African Wars" series and "The Anglo-Afghan Wars 1839–1919".

I also started reading Frank Herbert's "Dune" and I'm about 140 pages into that 700 page novel.

And still slowly reading "The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens's London" by Judith Flanders for something different.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

MetalDog

Quote from: WallysWorld on March 25, 2020, 04:56:28 PM
Bought the first three of Osprey's "Modern African Wars" series and "The Anglo-Afghan Wars 1839–1919".

I also started reading Frank Herbert's "Dune" and I'm about 140 pages into that 700 page novel.

And still slowly reading "The Victorian City: Everyday Life in Dickens's London" by Judith Flanders for something different.

Is this your first read through?  I would like to know your thoughts if that is true.  And then again when you are done.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob