What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I think I've tried Dune three times.  Man, I just cannot get into it for some reason.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

WallysWorld

First read-through of "Dune" for me. Decided to read the book after watching the 1984 film a few times and liking it more each time I watch it.

Makes it easier to read the tome after watching the movie to get knowledge of the main characters. 140 or so pages into it, so far so good. But I'm taking a break from it for the past two weeks while I read the Osprey books.

To me, it would be harder to understand the book without watching the movie first as there is a lot of complicated things in the story.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

airboy

Quote from: Toonces on March 26, 2020, 12:58:06 PM
I think I've tried Dune three times.  Man, I just cannot get into it for some reason.

Dune starts very slow.  Herbert tries to capture the mood of a religious Jihad in the making plus explaining many of the factions.  It is very good, but he takes a lot of space to develop his ideas.  Plus all of the new words he invented makes is harder to follow.

I just bought a kindle copy for $1.99 last week on sale.  I'd replaced my original paperback twice due to allergies. 

Martok

Quote from: Toonces on March 26, 2020, 12:58:06 PM
That's okay; it's definitely not for everyone. 

I only got around to reading Dune a few years ago; and while I'm glad I did, I don't know that I'd bother picking it up again (or read the sequels).  I can see its appeal, but I don't think I'd be able to immerse myself in Herbert's universe. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jamus34

Re-reading the last 10 or so novels in the Dresden series in anticipation of the next 2 books being released this year.

Also need to re-read Oathbringer by Sanderson as he is releasing book 4 of the Stormlight Chronicles this year also.
Insert witty comment here.

MetalDog

It's good to see I am not the only one who had difficulty with Dune.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Dune is a classic and giant of the genre in a lot of circles.  And I don't dispute their assertion.  It's just not for me.  But, I have read it.  And the next two or three sequels just to make sure. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Quote from: jamus34 on March 27, 2020, 07:16:28 AM
Also need to re-read Oathbringer by Sanderson as he is releasing book 4 of the Stormlight Chronicles this year also.
At some point, I need to sit down and read his Stormlight novels.  I enjoy Sanderson's writing, even if it is a bit dense at times. 

Quote from: MetalDog on March 27, 2020, 08:47:54 AM
It's good to see I am not the only one who had difficulty with Dune.
Not in the least; I know a number of folks who weren't enthralled with it.  For all that it's a cornerstone of the genre, Dune seems to be a bit more hit-and-miss.  But those who enjoy the book, seem to *really* enjoy it -- there doesn't seem to be much in-between. 

Quote from: Gusington on March 27, 2020, 10:28:15 AM
I never read it.

*runs*
Heh.  No shame in that, although I would still recommend giving it a go at some point.  I'm not sure why, exactly, but I could definitely see you appreciating Dune. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Just about done with The Passage. A disappointment. Maybe I will reread someday.

Most likely will start Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics and Equipment of the Imperial Japanese Navy 1887-1941 by David Evans and Mark Peattie:

https://smile.amazon.com/Kaigun-Strategy-Technology-Imperial-1887-1941-ebook/dp/B01DRYEMH2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Kaigun&qid=1585337989&s=books&sr=1-2

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

nelmsm

Read Dune many years ago. Took a while to get into it but in the end I enjoyed it but not enough to read the sequels.

airboy

Quote from: nelmsm on March 27, 2020, 08:38:58 PM
Read Dune many years ago. Took a while to get into it but in the end I enjoyed it but not enough to read the sequels.

I read the first two sequels.  They seemed to get exponentially worse every iteration.

jamus34

Quote from: Martok on March 27, 2020, 12:57:12 PM
Quote from: jamus34 on March 27, 2020, 07:16:28 AM
At some point, I need to sit down and read his Stormlight novels.  I enjoy Sanderson's writing, even if it is a bit dense at times. 

Yeah it's tough because of the Cosmere; that said Sanderson has quickly become my favorite current / modern author. His books are well written, the plot line are usually tight and he's usually pretty good not tripping over himself in canon.

The Mistwalker series is also really good. If anything the 2nd season (for lack of a better word) has much more interesting characters. Wayne especially.
Insert witty comment here.

al_infierno

Finally sunk my teeth into Berlin: The Downfall by Antony Beevor.  Had it sitting on my TBR list for ages, and dear lord I can't put it down!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

^Great book. Read Beevor's Stalingrad if you haven't already too.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd