Grogheads 2014 Fantasy Baseball Season

Started by Bison, February 23, 2014, 07:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on June 16, 2014, 10:08:03 PM
I just checked the season stat totals and it looks like 'geek has some AWESOME hitting!  Although, Marty is just killing it all the way around.

i understand the hitting much more than the throwing, but since recognising the innings requirements ive managed to make it two weeks in a row now

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on June 16, 2014, 09:42:56 PM
Well my team is in a complete free fall...

Don't worry - I'll be reliably down there to keep you company
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

Quote from: MetalDog on June 16, 2014, 10:08:03 PM
I just checked the season stat totals and it looks like 'geek has some AWESOME hitting!  Although, Marty is just killing it all the way around.

Just been lucky to have a few guys having amazing starts. 3 guys have ~65% of my HR's and almost 1/2 my RBI's. I don't know if they will keep it up all the way through the season.

The Slammers are the team that I fear the most from here on out. It is a pretty balanced team with some solid players is every catagory.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

bayonetbrant

You would think my pitching staff would at least keep me competitive

My lineup started slow and then cooled off
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 17, 2014, 08:26:25 AM
You would think my pitching staff would at least keep me competitive

My lineup started slow and then cooled off

Pitching is so hard to predict. Some weeks you have 5 wins and 0 saves and the next it's the opposite. In head to head it doesn't matter as much how many you get, only that you get 1 more than your opponent in a category (or .001 less in WHIP and ERA) so it's a little different than the season long match-up where every win counts toward the end.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

bayonetbrant

yes, but with Verlander, Felix, Szmardoiefhweifhia...  you'd think I'd get some traction somewhere!

In the meantime, my Zimmerman - Kemp - Posey lineup is striking fear into the hearts of every league from 2011, and not accomplishing fuck-all this year

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 17, 2014, 11:06:45 AM
yes, but with Verlander, Felix, Szmardoiefhweifhia...  you'd think I'd get some traction somewhere!

In the meantime, my Zimmerman - Kemp - Posey lineup is striking fear into the hearts of every league from 2011, and not accomplishing fuck-all this year

I would have expected those guys to get you a lot of points in all but saves.

bayonetbrant

yeah, each week, one of them seems to have an off-game that torpedoes me.  Or Sergio Romo blows up with a  33.98 ERA in one bad outing as a closer and undoes everyone else.

undercovergeek

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 17, 2014, 11:38:02 AM
yeah, each week, one of them seems to have an off-game that torpedoes me.  Or Sergio Romo blows up with a  33.98 ERA in one bad outing as a closer and undoes everyone else.

I think you could use more starters from teams with winning records. Both Kuechel and Samardzija are pitching way better than historical so you might have gotten the best from them already. Samardzija may get traded to a contender so he might get you a lot of wins later this year and Kuechel could be as good as his record this year, though last year he was very average considering who he plays for. If it was me, I'd  dump one, or trade, of the 3 RP's and get another starter. Having 3 RP's is a bit of a luxury.

bayonetbrant

I had Matt Cain - he was canned ass.  I've tried to rotate relievers, but I don't mind unloading one.

Keuchel has been pulling in the wins Szmardjia should have, and Szmardjia's got the other stats that should be helping.

I may unload a reliever and see what I can do for another hitter.  Andrus is my only SS and he's had some off-weeks.

Marty Ward

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 17, 2014, 12:31:07 PM
I had Matt Cain - he was canned ass.  I've tried to rotate relievers, but I don't mind unloading one.

Keuchel has been pulling in the wins Szmardjia should have, and Szmardjia's got the other stats that should be helping.

I may unload a reliever and see what I can do for another hitter.  Andrus is my only SS and he's had some off-weeks.

I had 3 RP's at the start of the season and it seemed like I always had the one who got the save on the bench. It's to much of a guessing game for me.

Bison

I don't know that RP are worse to have than SP.  The ERA, WHIP, SO, and Saves all add up and average out.  It's all about hitting the 20 innings.  I've got 3 SP who are on the same freaking cycle, so it's a crap shoot which ones I start and which one I bench.  Frankly my pitchers are horrible.  Marty did state it correctly.  You just need to out score your opponent to win the week.  The down side is a bad week can result in some pretty lopsided losses.

undercovergeek

well you just changed 8-2 in my favour to 6-3 in your favour

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on June 17, 2014, 11:20:32 PM
I don't know that RP are worse to have than SP.  The ERA, WHIP, SO, and Saves all add up and average out.  It's all about hitting the 20 innings.  I've got 3 SP who are on the same freaking cycle, so it's a crap shoot which ones I start and which one I bench.  Frankly my pitchers are horrible.  Marty did state it correctly.  You just need to out score your opponent to win the week.  The down side is a bad week can result in some pretty lopsided losses.

I just don't like the guessing game with having 3 RP's. I never seemed to guess right.

RP can really screw up you ERA with a bad outing and it doesn't even have to be real bad. They give up a 2 run homer in the 9th and lose and all the sudden your ERA goes through the roof and his WHIP that day is INF! At least it can happen to anyone so when it happens to me I just curse and forget about it.