Mystery Seeds From China?

Started by Labbug, July 26, 2020, 08:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I read that earlier - strange.

solops

Not really from China. That's a cover.  Can anyone say Invasion....body-snatchers?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

JasonPratt

Since that was a parable about communist infiltration and subversion... still works!  :coolsmiley:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 26, 2020, 12:26:37 PM
Since that was a parable about communist infiltration and subversion... still works!  :coolsmiley:

:DD
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

Quote from: al_infierno on July 26, 2020, 04:14:41 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on July 26, 2020, 12:26:37 PM

:DD

Jason Pratt is correct.

The Puppet Masters by Heinlein and one of his other books were also discussed as parables of communist infiltration.

From Wikipedia:
Some reviewers saw in the story a commentary on the dangers facing America for turning a blind eye to McCarthyism. Leonard Maltin wrote of a McCarthy-era subtext,[21] or of bland conformity in postwar Eisenhower-era America. Others viewed it as an allegory for the loss of personal autonomy in the Soviet Union or communist systems in general.[22]

For the BBC, David Wood summarized the circulating popular interpretations of the film as follows: "The sense of post-war, anti-communist paranoia is acute, as is the temptation to view the film as a metaphor for the tyranny of the McCarthy era."[23] Danny Peary in Cult Movies pointed out that the addition of the framing story had changed the film's stance from anti-McCarthyite to anti-communist.[19] Michael Dodd of The Missing Slate has called the movie "one of the most multifaceted horror films ever made", arguing that by "simultaneously exploiting the contemporary fear of infiltration by undesirable elements as well as a burgeoning concern over homeland totalitarianism in the wake of Senator Joseph McCarthy's notorious communist witch hunt, it may be the clearest window into the American psyche that horror cinema has ever provided".[24]

al_infierno

I wasn't disagreeing, I just thought it was a funny comment. 
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

airboy

^ OK - you realize that Jason has a different take on things than many.

Sir Slash

Different take you say? Has he become indifferent, less emotional, or perhaps detached from friends or family? Has he been seen running down a highway checking the backs of large trucks perhaps? Has he fallen asleep lately?   :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Labbug

This may be a "brushing" scam.  I have not heard of this type of scam.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/china-plant-seeds-mystery-us-homes

airboy

In today's WSJ it was reported that the seed packages are arriving in many Western countries and Australia/New Zealand.  All have Chinese postmarks.

The Chinese Commies are, of course, claiming that the post marks are all forgeries.

Sir Slash

Sounds suspiciously like that time I traded my cow for some magic beans. Didn't end well.  :coolsmiley:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: airboy on July 26, 2020, 08:42:10 PM
^ OK - you realize that Jason has a different take on things than many.

It was meant to be funny, so no problem.  :coolsmiley: (I knew the story acts rather like a Rorshack test... dang, I can't spell that word... but not to the extent you reported on, so thanks for the extra details!)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

em2nought

Trump should troll China by mailing Chinese citizens some Brazilian Pepper seeds.  :bd:
Stolen elections have consequences.