Console Recommendations

Started by Bison, January 14, 2016, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

Hm...I said PS4...but ok...just buy...something  ;)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Bison

And I could get an actual baseball game on the ps4...oh the dilemma!

JasonPratt

I think the what-do-friends-family-play question could resolve the dilemma...?

What about XBone reliability? The original and the 360 were the notorious origins of the Red Ring of Death meme.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grimnirsson

QuoteThe original and the 360 were the notorious origins of the Red Ring of Death meme.

I still have my Xbox and it works fine. I had a RRoD with my 360 but that was long after everybody else was already through a second 360 because of this so it lasted rather long. The newer 360's don't have this issue anymore and the XO is such a beast because MS wanted to make sure it wouldn't happen again this gen, so the thing is stuffed with fans and enough room for air circulation. So this is actually a plus for the XO, the PS4 gets rather warm...but Sony says it's made to stand that.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

OJsDad

Come on Bison, go now to the store and buy one of each.  Heck, I'm sure you can get a deal if you did that.  And the joy on the kids faces will over ride any bad reactions from the wife.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Bison...lead, follow or get the hell out of the way! I know money doesn't grow on trees, but we're just talking about a few hundred shekels here, its really not the decision of  lifetime. I think between PS4 and XBone, its like Ford and Chevy, or HK and Sig, or Mossberg 500 and Remington 870...you can't really go wrong with either and they both accomplish pretty much the same thing.  :crazy2:

How pissed were your kids by the way when they left all those stores WITHOUT getting a system?!?! 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

I used to think backward compatibility was a deal breaker on whether a new system had the ability or not. 

Now it really does not matter to me that much anymore and that's because there are just way too many good games out right now that are going to soak up a lot of time.  When are you really going to play an old game?  Of all of the thousands of hours that will be spent on the new console what minuscule fraction of that time will be spent playing a game from the last century that you could probably play on your PC using an emulator and ROM?  Don't let the backward compatibility thing hang you up.  Seriously...
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Bison

Nope not the decision of a life time to be sure and the kids were slightly bummed, but I secretly relish the process of picking out a system, computer, home appliance, or what have you.  Research every nitnoid specification, software availability, and such.  I know that in the end, either system will be awesome and do what it needs to do.  Provide a few hours of entertainment for the family every week.  It also drives my wife crazy because she knows I know she knows that I know that generally whether its an appliance, a computer, a game console, or the brand of paint, the products are basically the same in quality and performance if you are looking at non-cheapo products.

Besides isn't that what we gamers do?  Fret and fuss over our gaming obsession?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bison on January 19, 2016, 09:53:58 PM

Not me. I just buy everything, therefore, no fretting.  :uglystupid2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bison

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 19, 2016, 10:42:08 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 19, 2016, 09:53:58 PM

Not me. I just buy everything, therefore, no fretting.  :uglystupid2:

HAHA!  LMAO!

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 19, 2016, 03:20:36 PM
I think the what-do-friends-family-play question could resolve the dilemma...?

What about XBone reliability? The original and the 360 were the notorious origins of the Red Ring of Death meme.

My original Xbox still runs like a champ after almost 15 years. My  first 360 did croak, but it was still under warranty and M$ paid for the shipping and repair. I had to live without it for a few weeks is all. Eventually the disc tray started not opening, but that was after 6-7 years of use.

I haven't read anything about reliability issues with the XBone.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

I haven't seen a lot of issues with either system come up, but each have had some technical issues.  Certainly nothing like the ring of death episode.

Staggerwing

Why don't you just keep the PS3 and get a PS4? Then you can play all your old games as well as the new. These days TVs have a bunch of extra HDMI sockets and even if you are short a few you can get an HDMI hub.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

I just wanted to interject that anytime one of y'all types the word "Xbone," I'm all

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 20, 2016, 07:16:11 AM
I just wanted to interject that anytime one of y'all types the word "Xbone," I'm all

I type it that way specifically for your amusement.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus