Console Recommendations

Started by Bison, January 14, 2016, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

I had some reservations regarding the Dualshock because the Xbox controller was actually part of my hand for many years, but after a little while of getting used to the differences I really like the controller now - I really do. Especially that it is much much lighter than the Xbox controller is great.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Bison

Bison

I'm just not sure we will have anything left to talk about once I do put on my pants and just buy a damned system.

Grimnirsson

We will simply change the topic to the fact that we think you bought the wrong system... :))

www.homefrontcenter.de

mirth

Quote from: Bison on January 20, 2016, 02:40:41 PM
I'm just not sure we will have anything left to talk about once I do put on my pants and just buy a damned system.

Don't worry. Whichever system you choose, you'll be expressing buyer's remorse for weeks or months.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

"Dude, the Dreamcast is making a comeback!"

Though in all seriousness, imagine how much a Dreamcast with about 100 games would cost you. I bet you could break a five dollar bill and get change back.  ;D

Bison

Quote from: mirth on January 20, 2016, 02:44:53 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 20, 2016, 02:40:41 PM

Don't worry. Whichever system you choose, you'll be expressing buyer's remorse for weeks or months.

This is all vaguely starting to sound like a marriage especially the wearing of pants.  :p

Bison

Quote from: Grimnirsson on January 20, 2016, 02:43:48 PM
We will simply change the topic to the fact that we think you bought the wrong system... :))

Nooooo!

mirth

Quote from: Grimnirsson on January 20, 2016, 02:37:11 PM
I had some reservations regarding the Dualshock because the Xbox controller was actually part of my hand for many years, but after a little while of getting used to the differences I really like the controller now - I really do. Especially that it is much much lighter than the Xbox controller is great.

Having used both, I can honestly say the Dualshock is the better controller, but the controllers for the 360 and XBone are just fine. The controllers for the original Xbox were beasts - heavy and clunky.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Grimnirsson

I do like that the Xbox controller's sticks are a bit tighter, but as with everything it's a matter of practice, I'm almost as speedy and accurate in shooters now as I was on the 360 so everything's fine :)

www.homefrontcenter.de

Jarhead0331

I think you need to decide based upon the single most important factor. The PS4 simply looks cooler. It looks like a deadly space cruiser knifing through the void of space, hunting for targets to obliterate. The Xbone on the other hand looks like a...well, it looks like a box.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bison

OK.  This is a serious list of game consoles considerations, but before I begin I *do* have my preference of consoles.  I haven't gone with my preference because the console is really more for the kids and family fun, than it is about my gaming preferences and considerations.

Games the kids and I like:  Lego Star Wars and racing games like Burnout Paradise.  So with that being said other than the specific Lego Star Wars game, which is part of the 360 compatibility list and available from the xbox online store, any lego game will most likely do and they are available on both systems.  Racing games are different.  We really enjoy Burnout Paradise.  They just like to drive around town and crash into stuff, but I enjoy the races and challenges.  There isn't a comparable Burnout game on either system.  The Xbox has the best car racing game series Forza and Foraz Horizons 2 is an open world racing game with like 200 cars and Forza 6 has split screen multiplayer racing.  The PS4 really doesn't offer anything of the same quality or style.  There's Project Cars, Race Club, and Need for Speed, but they aren't the same as Forza Horizons 2 for quality that is fun as both a racing sim and a racing arcade game.

They also really like games similar to Mario World 3d and Mario Cart, but I'm just not familiar with similar games on either the Xbox or the PS4.  And no, I'm not getting a Wii U.  I still want a system I can get some more adult games to play on the couch late at night.  So I'm not sure this is even a factor, but maybe you all know something I don't.

Controller:  This is a harder one to answer.  I play with a 360 controller on the PC and obviously play with the PS3 dualshock.  I prefer the 360 controller, but either is fine.  It's really about the kids.  This is why before I commit to a system, I'm dragging them to Gamestop to play with the demo machines for a few hours like I did today.  I know they will grow into and learn to play with either controller, but the ability to best manipulate it now is more important than a year or two down the road.

I like the snappy PS4 interface, but I like that I can pin programs/apps to the main page of the Xbox.  I think this will make it much easier for them to find the game or start up Netflix.  The console will be both a game box and an entertainment setup.

Anyway that's where I'm at right now.  As far as the bundle, both are comparable in price for a basic bundle, additional control, and two additional games.  Although the bundle will provide either me or them with an additional game.

So there it is.  I know it sounds like I'm really indecisive about the purchase, but I just want to feel that I made the best choice for them and the family.

JasonPratt

QuoteWe really enjoy Burnout Paradise

In conclusion: stay with the PS3.

It really may be a case of there's plenty of great games still to play on the PS3 (and on the PC otherwise, but you can get a Shield or a Steambox to make it more consolish, porting the video and audio to your TV setup), and not enough great games yet on the next gen consoles to decisively prefer one to the other.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

The kids are going to enjoy either system and whatever games are available for the one you go with. Don't be shy about picking the one you're going to be most happy with too.

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on January 20, 2016, 06:37:03 PM
The kids are going to enjoy either system and whatever games are available for the one you go with. Don't be shy about picking the one you're going to be most happy with too.

+1.  From what your saying, I don't really think either one is going to be wrong for you. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.