Main Menu

winsbmt 2019 patch

Started by Grim.Reaper, April 01, 2019, 09:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

sounds like this years update coming soon along with the wwii version.  developers also announced taking a break from updates and will minimally skip 2020 and decide the future after that.  although i joke about shrapnel all the time, these guys have put many years of effort into these games.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=52197

Grim.Reaper

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

gabeeg

These devs have done an incredible job and shown amazing dedication to this title.  Quite a feat to keep a title this ancient alive, growing and improving each year while adapting to new OS's and technical changes/challenges to keep it playable for us.  I definitely appreciate their hard work on this old crusty friend.
Kind Regards,
Harry

acctingman

I'm seriously thinking about picking this up again as I wait for the new Steel Tigers...which may never come out. Are the graphics improvement noteworthy? I only had the old 800x600 version.

JudgeDredd

I applaud anyone who can play a game with graphics like that. I just can't look at the screen with those graphics. Makes my eyes bleed.

Great game in it's day, but needs a serious graphics overhaul before I'd ever put it on my disk again.
Alba gu' brath

gabeeg

Quote from: acctingman on April 06, 2019, 10:56:09 AM
I'm seriously thinking about picking this up again as I wait for the new Steel Tigers...which may never come out. Are the graphics improvement noteworthy? I only had the old 800x600 version.

...Only if you purchased the CD version.   To me it is playable and looks good enough in higher resolutions.  At 800x600 or below it is not really tolerable for me (...and I love the game).  The major issue is the color palette and it being locked to 8bit.  Unfortunately they do not have rights/access or some such to alter that part of the code.  In the last update they added additional zoom modes so that helps as well.
Kind Regards,
Harry

Jarhead0331

I dont think the graphics are that bad at all...totally functional.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 06, 2019, 06:34:55 PM

I agree but the 800x600 res lock on the free version on larger monitors is pretty hard on the eyes.... which is why I picked up the CD version of both  \m/
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Totally acceptable to me, but I do have the CD version where you can get higher res.  Certainly never going to match today's graphics standards, but for how old this game is, think it has held up good enough.

al_infierno

^ That looks great to me!  Oldschool graphics have their charm.  Can't wait to get my CDs in the mail.   O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

DoctorQuest

Quote from: al_infierno on April 06, 2019, 06:38:29 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 06, 2019, 06:34:55 PM

I agree but the 800x600 res lock on the free version on larger monitors is pretty hard on the eyes.... which is why I picked up the CD version of both  \m/

+1
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

WallysWorld

Completely agree getting the CD version if you like the game. The higher resolution makes the way easier and more fun to play. No regrets for me.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

smittyohio

Quote from: WallysWorld on April 06, 2019, 09:06:12 PM
Completely agree getting the CD version if you like the game. The higher resolution makes the way easier and more fun to play. No regrets for me.

And while you're there, don't forget to pre-order All American: The 82nd Airborne in Normandy      :D :D :D