Combat mission fortress Italy - Rome to victory

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 29, 2019, 08:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 29, 2019, 09:12:27 PM
yes has random battles....

Quick Battle system sets up deliberate or randomized battles based on player specifications

as for difficulty, that is probably subjective based on each person.  for me, i have never found the computer easy but i realize i am not as good at these games as other people.

Maps are all pre-made though. Just randomly selected from a pool of pre-made maps.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: A Canadian Cat on July 02, 2019, 08:37:01 AM
Quote from: airboy on June 29, 2019, 08:46:29 PM
1] I have not played this series for a while.  How challenging has it become since the first three (CMBO; CMBB; CMAK)?
I think the new game engine is more challenging but in a good way. There is more detail so you can see more of what is going on. This leads to a better (clearer) perception of casulties by the player. If you make a mistake (or the TacAI does) you will pay more dearly for it. Or at least see what you lost.

Quote from: airboy on June 29, 2019, 08:46:29 PM2] Does it still include a random battle generator?
Some one answered that there was a random battle generator. I just want to expand on that a bit. There is no random map generator. The current CMFI game ships with around 401 QB maps (I might have a few additional ones on my machine where I got that count from) that you can have the QB battle generator choose from. There are some duplicate in the maps - meaning that the same terrain might be used in an assault and a meeting engagement but the objectives and the AI will play differently even if the terrain is the same between two maps. For example there are 118 different Assault maps in my QB folder. The force selection can be randomly picked. It's not perfect but much better than when CMBN came out.

The maps in CMFI - actually all the CM2 titles - were really interesting and well done with good attention to detail. I'm still impressed at just how many high quality maps are offered on the release discs. Yes, they are pulled from the pool, but there are so many I think you could play indefinitely on them and not get bored. ASL players are still using the original dozen paper maps, for example, in their scenarios. Coupled with a full-blown editor that permits you to make your own, there's lots to like about the maps even without random generation (which I would still love to see).

But I'm still serious when I ask what the update will have that other CMs don't already have - each title seemed to reintroduce some of the little things that were lost since the conversion to the second gen engine. We finally have flame weapons back in, ever since I think CM:RT with backwards ports to the other titles. I'd really love to see the water elevation bug squashed.

demjansk1942

Question
If I don't have this game at all but have other titles I still have to purchase the base game from Battlefront for $60.00 ?

Correct and thanks

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: demjansk1942 on August 24, 2019, 05:09:07 AM
Question
If I don't have this game at all but have other titles I still have to purchase the base game from Battlefront for $60.00 ?

Correct and thanks

If your asking that to use/purchase the Rome module, do you need the base Fortress Italy game, the answer is YES.  Rome is an addon module to the base game.  They do offer some bundles at a little cheaper price.

demjansk1942

Quotei

I should buy the Fortress game and then these are add one?  This is one reason I stopped buying from them.   Too complicate for purchasing items.  They ever have a sale?

I have the Normandy and Soviet Eastern Front game.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: demjansk1942 on August 25, 2019, 05:32:37 AM
Quotei

I should buy the Fortress game and then these are add one?  This is one reason I stopped buying from them.   Too complicate for purchasing items.  They ever have a sale?

Sorry, what is so complicated and how is it different than buying from another company that has add-on modules?  It's just like buying a base game at matrix/steam and then buying DLC for it.  You need to buy the base game and then you can buy the add-on modules.  For example, Matrix War in the East and War in the West are similar games, yet they have separate base game purchases and separate DLC.

However, when you install the base game, it actually is an "all-in-one-installer" where all the available modules/add-ons are included, you just need to activate them with your purchased license code.  So one simple install for all modules (even if you don't purchase them right away) and your set.

As also mentioned, you can buy a bundled version if you want to own all the modules at once plus the base game for a discounted price.  You can get the (2) available (or soon to be) modules and the base game for $95.  If you were to purchase them all separate, it would cost you $135 so you are saving $40 by doing that.  Battlefront never has sales so that is the best you can hope for now.

Not complicated at all.

Tripoli

Quotei

Yep, you will have to buy the base game and DLC.  If you buy them at once, you will get a discount, but they never go on sale.  And they are worth every penny.  :)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

demjansk1942

Is there two modules for the Fortress Italy?  I'll check the website.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: demjansk1942 on August 25, 2019, 07:19:48 PM
Is there two modules for the Fortress Italy?  I'll check the website.

yes, that is what i stated in the bundle... gustav and soon to be rome

Ubercat

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 25, 2019, 06:11:56 AM
Quotei

Sorry, what is so complicated and how is it different than buying from another company that has add-on modules?  It's just like buying a base game at matrix/steam and then buying DLC for it.  You need to buy the base game and then you can buy the add-on modules.  For example, Matrix War in the East and War in the West are similar games, yet they have separate base game purchases and separate DLC.

However, when you install the base game, it actually is an "all-in-one-installer" where all the available modules/add-ons are included, you just need to activate them with your purchased license code.  So one simple install for all modules (even if you don't purchase them right away) and your set.

As also mentioned, you can buy a bundled version if you want to own all the modules at once plus the base game for a discounted price.  You can get the (2) available (or soon to be) modules and the base game for $95.  If you were to purchase them all separate, it would cost you $135 so you are saving $40 by doing that.  Battlefront never has sales so that is the best you can hope for now.

Not complicated at all.

You make it sound so simple. If they used DRM as uncomplicated as Steam or even Matrix/Slitherine I'd be their biggest fanboy.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Ubercat on August 25, 2019, 07:56:59 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 25, 2019, 06:11:56 AM
Quotei

Not complicated at all.

You make it sound so simple. If they used DRM as uncomplicated as Steam or even Matrix/Slitherine I'd be their biggest fanboy.

It is simple at least for me, not everyone has issues with the DRM (no I don't like the concept, but have no issues installing and activating).....although I know some others have.  I can only use my own personal experience and ever since the single-install file introduced, you only need the single file so you don't have to worry about making sure you have certain files or patch installer orders.

Ubercat

I hope that it's now as simple as you describe. Not sure that I'm personally inclined to give them another chance but I hope for others sake that things are better.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Elvis

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 29, 2019, 08:35:07 PM
I'll just say it now...no DRM discussions will be permitted in this thread. Please keep it on topic.

Hee hee.. At least this time it made it to page 2. :-)

Ubercat

Funny how it keeps coming up, isn't it?  <:-)

- Thomas Sowell

al_infierno

Call me crazy, but I'll pick a map carefully designed by a human over an algorithm pumped out by a computer 10 times out of 10.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao