First go at Sergents Miniatures Game: Day of Days

Started by Barthheart, February 23, 2013, 12:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Well I've read the rule book and followed throught the play example. I've read through a bunch of Q&A on BGG.
So I started a solo of the first scenario.Felt a little slow to start as the Germans don't enter until the 2nd turn and they didn't get any move orders that turn so they didn't actually enter until the 3rd turn.
Then things went from slow and cool to lightening and deadly!
German soldier rushes a Yank and kills him hand to hand. The German is then cut down in a hail of M1 fire from 3 Americans.
Gerams return fire and pin one and wound another.

Great fun so far.  8)

View from German side

And from Yanks side

bob48

My envy knows no bounds.

Look forwards to more impressions though, Barth. I'm really intrigued to see how the diceless combat system works.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Arctic Blast

that tends to be how things go. Both sides are just wandering through the woods, when suddenly OH MY GOD WHERE IS THAT FIRE COMING FROM? GRENADES! WHERE IS MY LEG?!  ;D

TheCommandTent

Looks like fun.  How is the feel of the minis and boardgame blend?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

GJK

How was the realism factor?  Did you get a good feel for real squad tactics of WW2 or was it more of a rush and shoot to overwhelm type of thing?  How about player decisions - are there solid decisions and options that you can take or is it (again) just move and shoot?  Not looking for ASL here but I'd like to know if there's some depth to the game.  Thx.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 23, 2013, 05:14:52 PM
Looks like fun.  How is the feel of the minis and boardgame blend?

It's more minis feel than boardgame. With the miniatures and the card driven action there's not much relation to any board game I've played.

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on February 24, 2013, 11:48:49 AM
How was the realism factor?  Did you get a good feel for real squad tactics of WW2 or was it more of a rush and shoot to overwhelm type of thing?  How about player decisions - are there solid decisions and options that you can take or is it (again) just move and shoot?  Not looking for ASL here but I'd like to know if there's some depth to the game.  Thx.

It's a very light game. You do have some hard decisions to make in that you can't do everything every turn so you have to try and optimize your actions. You use cover and although you "see" everything on the map you can't necessarily hit it. You could use bounding over-watch and moving very well in this game. Targets need to be spotted, either by action on your part or their shooting, before you can shoot at someone.

Each side has hidden victory conditions so you could being try to do the same things or aome thing completely different from your opponent.

The map I've played so far is small so conflict is sure to happen quickly. On larger maps I can see more manouvering to get in position.

But again it's very light.

I'm going to play a 6 player/6 squad game on the largest map I can make next month so I'll have a better feel for it by then. I'll post more info and pics after that.

Barthheart

OK, so at our annual Guyz Weekend this past weekend we played Halo 4 (I know not a board game), Sergants Miniatures Game and Modern Naval Battles: Global Warfare.

Only got a few pics taken due mostly to too much beer but also because SMG was so much fun I was caught up in the action and forgot to take pics....  :-[

First our Halo 4 set up - 7 guys on 3 screens.
Saturday morning..

Sunday morning...

Barthheart

The one pic from the start of the SMG game:

This was scenario 14 from tthe Road to Carentan expansion. We had 7 players, all newbies, and this was a 6 player game... so I was the game master and had a blast.
Each team of three guys had their own squad of 5 soldiers, total points about 23. US squads got 3 grenades to split amung each 5 soldiers, while the Germans got 4 to share.
Each squad drew it's own hidden orders, even from the others on their team.

Finals scores ended with a Us squad with the most VPs but the German team had the most total VPs. Of the 15 soldiers on each side, both lost 9 soldiers each. Each side had an entire squad wiped out.

Great fun was had by all and all said they would gladly play another game.... unlike our trying to play Line in the Sand.... which is not allowed at our gatherings again until 2018....  :P
Thanks to Arctic Blast for the chance to buy his collection.  8)

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Awesome. Glad to hear Sergeants was so good. Now I'm probably going to have to pick it up, too!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on March 13, 2013, 11:02:58 AM
Awesome. Glad to hear Sergeants was so good. Now I'm probably going to have to pick it up, too!

You should! It's a fun, easy game to learn. It was easy to teach, even though I'd only read the rules a couple of times and played one scenario solo. The minis are first rate, high quality all round for all the components. It was fun watching the guys try stuff out to see how the system worked. Close combat is deadly! Ranged fire less so but can pin your enemy and make it harder for him to shoot back. You can't shoot at someone unless they are spotted. Once spotted you can try to hide in the terrainin your hex. MG teams, tossing grenades, getting the chance to run like hell for the trees or any cover.
Probably took us about 4 hours including teaching to play out 8 turns of the 14 turns in the scenario.... scenario ended then when there were only US soldiers on the map.

Arctic Blast

Glad you guys enjoyed it, Barthheart. It's a game that deserves to be played a Hell of a lot more than it was getting played here.  :D