Retro Me262 COMPLETE!!!

Started by JudgeDredd, May 02, 2015, 04:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

ok...I had a bit of a mare with the Vallejo Model Air paints. First time using them my brush got clogged and I panicked and downed tools.

But - I dusted myself off and carried on today.

So this is free hand camo. I prefer that because that's the way it was when I was in. When we were painting wagons, the only thing we masked was glass...everything else was free hand.

However - I'm not overly impressed with the results. I haven't finished yet. For a start, I have to do the blue again to "blend in" and cover where I didn't mask...bummer. On top of that, well...you decide. I'm not incredibly happy - but as a first timer at airbrushing - things can only get better.

I'm still not overly convinced about the Vallejo Model Air...the jury is out

Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

eyebiter

Since you haven't added the decals yet... could still make it into the BÖC ME 262.

JudgeDredd

I think I'll be sticking with the stock decals...though that artwork is fantastic
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

So - I screwed up in the sense that I either painted in the wrong order or I should've masked...either way, the blue needed touching up.

So here she is prepped to have the blue re-applied

And here she is touched up. I'm rather impressed with my deft touch with the "merging" of the blue and green. However I still have the nose to deal with...for some bizarre reason I painted it black!

Once I touch that nose up, I'm onto the wheels, canopy and bombs. Then it'll be a clear coat followed by the decals and a final covering of clear. I'll likely weather it a bit too.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Getting there. Wheels are on, bombs are on, canopy has been masked and painted and various places touched up.

I'm a bit impressed with the masking. I did not use an Eduard mask...I just did it myself with Tamiya modelling tape.

Next up is a clear coat, decals, another clear coat and weathering
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

I think you did a good job with painting the camo by hand.  It looks quite good.  O0

JudgeDredd

ooh...that wasn't by hand - it was airbrushing.

But still...first attempt at straight camo and mixed camo - I was semi impressed  ;D
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Here she is sitting on "her own three wheels"...

As it's not a "tail dragger" I was at a loss (as I was as a kid) as to how to get it to sit up....I have used a shed load of "blu-Tack" in the nose wheel section. Had I been prepared, I could've use ball bearings of some sort...but you live and learn.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

She's done. Klear applied, decals on and more Klear applied.

I was going to weather - but I'm not sure...I like her.

I was really nervous about doing this model. My daughter had bought it as a special gift for me...it wasn't a lot of money, but she understood the significance of the model and it's age and that was priceless to me. So I was really nervous - first time using an airbrush, first time not using enamels, first time using certain paints (Tamiya and Vallejo Model Air), first time filling and first time sanding.

It's not perfect - but I'm really rather pleased with the result. I hope she is.

Thanks for looking and even being remotely interested  O0
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

i think youve done her proud JD

Staggerwing

Terrific!

Were the lowered flaps an option on the model or did you cut them loose?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 16, 2015, 01:41:15 PM
Terrific!

Were the lowered flaps an option on the model or did you cut them loose?
They were an option and moveable - but they weren't a good fit (like a lot of the model) so I glued them in the "take-off" position.
Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

That's the first time you started using acrylic and not enamel paints?  Nice!

I was so glad to be rid of the enamel mess & stench.  I actually like the end texture result of acrylics better too and they're so easy to dilute.  Dunno what you think about aircraft model kits regarding the stuff, but was a big leap when I started painting minis again.