OOTP Sold to Another Company

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 12, 2020, 01:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Interesting news....OOTP original owners have sold to Com2us company, who I guess specializes in mobile baseball games.  At least initial word suggests status quo for OOTP core products (baseball and hockey), but one was to wonder over time where things will head...likely even more into the mobile market and micro transactions:)

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=321116

jamus34

Yeah I don't see this as a positive to the customer base in any way shape or form. But considering how long this small team has worked on this I can't really fault them. An extremely niche stat'o'matic game has to have a really limited customer base.
Insert witty comment here.

WYBaugh

Yeah, I don't see this as good either.

Grim.Reaper

Nope, can't fault developers at all.....they certainly have earned it.  Com2us already has a couple of baseball games with MLB license so will certainly be interesting to see what transpires.  Maybe trying to get into the PC market...

smittyohio

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 12, 2020, 01:25:05 PM
Nope, can't fault developers at all.....they certainly have earned it.  Com2us already has a couple of baseball games with MLB license so will certainly be interesting to see what transpires.  Maybe trying to get into the PC market...

I hope it goes better for them than it did for board game publisher Victory Point Games when they sold to Tabletop Tycoon...

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: smittyohio on October 12, 2020, 04:07:56 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 12, 2020, 01:25:05 PM

I hope it goes better for them than it did for board game publisher Victory Point Games when they sold to Tabletop Tycoon...

My skeptical side thinks over time this turns out to be a bad thing for the PC side of things, but I am happy to be wrong.  Truthfully, I haven't played the last few versions as they seem to have so many options, hard to just get a realistic version of baseball without worrying about a ton of settings.  The last version of OOTP I seriously played for any length of time was version 6.....simplistic and straight to the point.  Time will tell.....

Grim.Reaper

Saw this announcement about the purchase.....bolded and underlined the interesting part......

Com2us has acquired Out of the Park Baseball developer Out of the Park developments, in the company's first-ever acquisition of a studio outside of Korea.

The terms of the deal were not disclosed, though Com2us will own a 100% stake in Out of the Park.

In an email to press, Com2us noted that Out of the Park Baseball would "make for an excellent mobile series moving forward"; the series has historically been on PC, including its most recent release, Out of the Park Baseball 21 in March of this year.

"At Com2us, we continue to elevate our brand reputation as we make progressive strides worldwide. OOTP is a company with notable history and craftsmanship," said Com2us president Kyu Lee.

"We expect OOTP to become a key part of our officially-licensed sports management product lineup and we plan to actively pursue further international mergers and acquisitions."

al_infierno

Ouch.  I'm not a big enough baseball fan to sink my teeth into these games, but I feel for the fans of this series right now.  :'(

I hope the devs got a nice payday from the sale - they certainly deserve the reward.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

steve58

I might grab the "last?" PC version when I see it on sale/in a bundle.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

GibbyG

From the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnix0000 View Post
I would like to know in detail what kind of changes Com2us will make to the PC version of OOTP. It may be hard to answer now, but please let me know. Everyone is very curious.
Is it okay to think that com2us is only responsible for external factors such as marketing and translation of Putp's PC version?
And is OOTP mobile version to be released next co-developed with com2us?
I know com2us is a company that has a strong point in mobile.

As mentioned, we retain control of game design & development, so no changes here.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: challerain on October 13, 2020, 09:38:13 PM
From the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnix0000 View Post
I would like to know in detail what kind of changes Com2us will make to the PC version of OOTP. It may be hard to answer now, but please let me know. Everyone is very curious.
Is it okay to think that com2us is only responsible for external factors such as marketing and translation of Putp's PC version?
And is OOTP mobile version to be released next co-developed with com2us?
I know com2us is a company that has a strong point in mobile.

As mentioned, we retain control of game design & development, so no changes here.

Being on the end of a company who gets sold, that is usually the standard line at first, "nothing will change"...but in most case they do...but again, glad to be wrong on this....