Combat Mission: Red Thunder - Fire and Rubble

Started by al_infierno, February 22, 2020, 11:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fran

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 13, 2020, 02:14:23 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on March 13, 2020, 01:56:07 PM
Quote from: fran on March 13, 2020, 01:41:00 AM

I have most of the modules for combat mission. I just never get around to playing them.

Guilty  :buck2:

For some part of the fun is the installation part  >:D.

Brilliant  O0

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on March 12, 2020, 07:34:15 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 10, 2020, 11:31:38 AM
Combat Mission taught me about myself--- I am NOT a good tactical leader at any level.

Don't judge your abilities based on Combat Mission.

The game engine can only handle small maps, which prevent players to actually maneuver their forces.

Most scenarios, I have found, are just a gut punch, up-the-middle- you have no option BUT to take casualties and be put in a bad position. I think it's actually part of the design mechanic to make up for a game engine that is limited in it's ability to handle large maps.

This is the reason that Shock Force & Black Sea will never see my hard drive. Trying to fight modern, near peer battles on 2km maps is knife fighting.

Way back in the day I think Combat Mission had smaller maps.  They were made larger at some point.  They are up to 16 square kilometers now.  The unit to map ratio has to be considered when designing scenarios.  IMO a Company is about the best size for a CM scenario.  The Below is a screenshot of a 13.5 square kilometer CMRT map.  The entire map would not fit in the screenshot.

Below is a platoon of vehicles on the move.   

Then the same platoon with a zoomed out map view.  Plenty of room for maneuver unless maybe you have a Bn. plus on both sides.  And again this is only a 13.5 square kilometer map, not a 16 square kilometer map.

Below is a 7.5 square kilometer Combat Mission Black Sea map.  Not all of the map is in the screenshot but again well under 16 square kilometers.   

Having said all the above, I do wish the maps could be made even bigger.  Not sure my computer could handle bigger maps plus all the units etc. but I would try.  ;D

Sir Slash

The biggest change I would like to see in the game is a new Line of Sight tool. I would like to hit a button and have a shaded area show LoS automatically then draw a line if I want to know distances.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

-budd-

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 14, 2020, 10:41:19 AM
The biggest change I would like to see in the game is a new Line of Sight tool. I would like to hit a button and have a shaded area show LoS automatically then draw a line if I want to know distances.  :bd:

Agreed, i'd like it like Armored Brigade. One button LOS shading for the whole map and unit line with distance and LOS percentage.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Quote from: -budd- on March 14, 2020, 02:08:07 PM

Agreed, i'd like it like Armored Brigade. One button LOS shading for the whole map and unit line with distance and LOS percentage.

This would be a nice improvement.

Skoop

It would take them half a year just to do that and end up nixing it because it would delay some other module from being released.  With all the modern technology out there in the graphics, I wonder how long BF will ride this engine before a complete tare down and rewrite.  The face lifts they give with the 3.0 / 4.0 help, but this is basically the same engine since shockforce in 2007.   

Father Ted

I know we're only kicking stuff around here, but what I'd like to see is a "hull down"-type command for MGs and ATGs - it's always a big faff working out where their best LOS will be.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 13, 2020, 02:14:23 PM

For some part of the fun is the installation part  >:D.

Who doesn't love a challenge.

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Father Ted on March 15, 2020, 10:18:00 AM
I know we're only kicking stuff around here, but what I'd like to see is a "hull down"-type command for MGs and ATGs - it's always a big faff working out where their best LOS will be.

One of the most requested features. Which also happened to be in the original game engine FWIW.

I think the other big one is a convoy or follow-me order, where vehicles could be told to follow the leader without having to micromanage movement paths.

Father Ted

Quote from: Michael Dorosh on March 16, 2020, 09:21:29 AM
Quote from: Father Ted on March 15, 2020, 10:18:00 AM
One of the most requested features. Which also happened to be in the original game engine FWIW.

I remember it was there for AFVs in CMx1, but was it also there for the foot-propelled units?

Redwolf

Charles had said that this is never gonna happen, due to "realism concerns" or somefink.

Steve over at Battlefront posted the below today.  Sounds like Fire & Rubble is getting very close.  I wonder which release will come first?  Combat Mission Cold War or the Fire & Rubble module for Combat Mission Red Thunder.

2-4 weeks when we hit Final Candidate.  Final Candidate = no more changes to the code, artwork, etc. unless it is *VERY* important.  Attention is focused on the installer, ReadMe documentation, etc.

We thought that might be last week,  but a few more changes were needed.  We think this week will be Final Candidate.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Redwolf

This will be the first CMx2 with the Hetzer?

Miss that little bugger.