I'm sick and I need help

Started by Jarhead0331, November 13, 2020, 06:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 13, 2020, 08:41:45 PM
This, in and of itself is annoying, but the customer service representative I had the misfortune of getting at Newegg was such a nasty bitch, that she just totally set me off. I'm still thinking of ways I can take her complete lack of courtesy and assistance out on the company.

What kind of shit was she saying?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Ubercat on November 14, 2020, 08:52:54 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 13, 2020, 08:41:45 PM
This, in and of itself is annoying, but the customer service representative I had the misfortune of getting at Newegg was such a nasty bitch, that she just totally set me off. I'm still thinking of ways I can take her complete lack of courtesy and assistance out on the company.

What kind of shit was she saying?

So first of all, she was extremely resistant and condescending from the get go. There was no apology, or sorry that happened, or let me see what we can do to help you. Immediately when I explained that the bank manager had suggested that I get Newegg support on the line with them so they could proceed with the transaction, she said, "I've been doing this for three years and I know talking to the bank is not going to change anything." She said, "you absolutely cannot proceed with the purchase, our system will not permit it." When I again said, well, I'm calling the bank with you on the line, she said, "I'll only hold for a few minutes..." and when I questioned why just a few minutes, she again said, "because you cant make the purchase unless you give me a different form of payment."

It was just a really bad attitude and "you can't do this" from the very beginning.  Meanwhile, nearly everyone I spoke with at the bank was accommodating and helpful. None of them said we can't make this happen. They all said, let's call Newegg together, we can fix this. This person has no business in customer relations or in sales. It's like she was doing everything in her power to not complete the transaction. I'm actually still livid.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jamus34

Wow. Guess I should have read the entire thread. Missed some important stuff.

Sorry for missing this deal JH. I have to admit I'm shocked at NewEgg. I imagine you've probably bought a ton of stuff through them over the years, to have that "level" of customer service for a significant purchase.

That said I've noticed the past 3-4 years NE has taken the Amazon approach of using 3rd party sellers. I wonder if this has prompted the drop in CS quality due to the amount of trash both in and out they get.

this incident and the 3rd party reliance will make me question making purchases from them going forward. I would prefer to stand by companies who sell on their own and take responsibility for the sales transaction.

Insert witty comment here.

CptHowdy

That is horrible. You would think businesses would be doing whatever they can to make a sale especially with all the stuff that's going on  :idiot2:

trek

May I suggest Falcon-NW. I'm now on my fourth Falcon Rig since 2008. This is my second Tiki small form factor model and my previous Tiki with liquid cooling I purchased in 2016. They ARE more expensive than other companies but their purchasing and customer services as well as warranty are second to none. My past and present experiences with them have been flawless with zero problems. If you don't like a SFF Model like the Tiki their Talon Mid-Size Tower model is highly rated.

My current Tiki is almost a year old now: I paid $3,919. Specs are:

Intel Core i9-9900KS with 8 Cores-16 Threads-5.0GHz
EVGA 650 Watt Power Supply
Asetek Liquid Cooling 550LC
Asus ROG Strix Z390-I Gaming Motherboard
32GB-2x16GB-2666MHz Memory
NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super-8GB
Samsung 970 EVO Plus-2TB SSD-M.2-PCI Express
Win 10 Pro

BTW, I noticed someone here had posted a thread on buying a new monitor, so I thought I'd put this up too. I just purchased a Dell S3220DGF 32" 1800R Curved monitor. I was using a Dell 27" Ultrasharp but the last few months I've been getting headaches and some dizziness from it especially playing Flight Sims and FPS games. The 27" only had a 60HZ response time. Since the 60Hz proved to be the bottleneck for my system I wanted to give a curved monitor with a faster response time a try. Saw the S3220DGF on the Dell website and nothing but glowing reviews. Then went to the Best Buy site and saw the same very positive reviews which made me a little suspect.

I tried a friends ultrawide 21:9 34" monitor and I like the wider screen but missed the loss of screen height from my 27". So since I was worried about going to a curved monitor and wanted to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio with 2560x1440 this Dell was exactly what I was looking for. It normally sells for $450 and they were having a weekend sale with a price of $330. It's not officially G-Sync compatible as it supports Freesync but it does work with G-Sync using a DP cable. It's performance for the price is astounding and I'm getting 165 FPS on IL-2 BOS and other games across the board. With the 1800R curve there was no adjustment at all and my headaches and dizziness have disappeared. The compact base on this Dell also is rock-solid and compact enough to fit on a smaller desk as well. I'm sitting about 2&1/2 feet from the monitor with no problems.

I consider this monitor the best bargain going right now and if you can catch it on sale it's a steal. For audition purchases due to Best Buy's holiday terms you can return it as late as Jan 16. So if you're looking for great monitor for a great price give it a shot. Another friend tried it and has now bought three of them for a triple-monitor setup. Best Buy seems to put it on sale every few weeks so you may have to check the website often to catch the best price.

Didn't mean to hijack your post JH, but I thought this was a great place and time to add to this subject as long as were talking new equipment.

Gusington

That is a great price. I may actually get that setup on Black Friday, instead of getting an Alienware. I'll pick one up for you too JH 😎

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on November 14, 2020, 03:47:25 PM
That is a great price. I may actually get that setup on Black Friday, instead of getting an Alienware. I'll pick one up for you too JH 😎

It will be interesting to see how much of a price difference you see waiting for Black Friday events.  It seems nowadays different sellers are perpetually always running sales throughout the year so very curious if things will actually be drastically cheaper on that day.  Truly hope you are able to pick up some good deals....I guess we will see your results in a couple of weeks:)

JasonPratt

I may add from long including current (at this moment) experience:

1. FalconNW systems are pretty quiet even with a total fan setup. Maybe because they pack in a lot of fans, so there's less work per fan. This also helps their systems overclock in a rock-solidly safe way. (But they can do liquid cooling, too, obviously, and they themselves generally prefer it.) Some of you may remember that I currently own a MachV system that I nicknamed The Presence because it's a 70 lb matt-black monolith. (Save money, don't get the fancy paint, though their paint systems are truly amazing.) It's not much louder than my Playstation3.

2.) FalconNW tech support is so good that even their sales people gladly tech support. Not that I've ever needed much with them, and it was always something I was trying to do or something I had done wrongly that needed fixing. I've owned their systems for going on 20 years now.

3.) Out of curiosity I looked up my invoice for The Presence, and including shipping from Oregon to West TN, it ran around $6500. (I already had a monitor.) I think that included a 3-year warranty, too, but I don't recall for sure. (Which is just giving them money, since their units rarely fail.) That was for a computer that topped all performance specs in its day -- mid-December, 2012.

Almost 8 years later, and the only thing I've had to upgrade was the gfx card (to a near-top tier 1080). Total expenses so far, not counting replacing the top fan a few times (due to my own negligence in not cleaning the blades enough), average just over $865 a year. I fully expect it to last another two years before performance becomes any problem, and even THEN I might only need a new near-top gfx card again.

I've had three Falcon units since 2000. (Maybe longer; when was Windows ME released...??) One of them, a desktop replacement laptop system, is sitting behind my chair (doing nothing to be honest, it really is obsolescent now). In fact that laptop has a funny entry in their photo spreads, because it was so gleamy shiny black that they couldn't get lights to limn it enough to photograph it properly! It either didn't show up, or the reflections of the lights off its surface would ruin the shot. Eventually they settled for taking a photo of trying to take a photo of it:2funny:

If I was dropping cash on an epic sim pit, I would DEFINITELY recommend saving up to add a Falcon later (if not at first). The Falcon guys build systems because they love being the best, and they know what they're doing to squeeze all performance safely out of a system. My former pupil (who was a legitimate kid genius) would build his own tower systems to compete with my Falcon Laptop, and all that happened was he burned out his towers in a few months and had to rebuild them from scratch. Which was fun and instructive, sure, but not very cost effective for the performance. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

The system I was going to get from Newegg is a CLX pre-build. I went to CLX's website directly and was able to build a better rig at a very competitive price. This is with the AMD Ryzen 9 5900x and a 1000w PSU. The one on Newegg just had 750w. I told one of the customer service reps about it and he thought that was way too low for the system. He is going to look into it.

Anyway, I haven't pulled the trigger yet...but if I do, it will probably be direct from these guys.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Have you ever had a CLX before?

I have fantasized about a Falcon NW forever but their prices are always just out of reach for what I want.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WYBaugh

Jarhead, I built the following this year:

Ryzen 9 3900X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
64 GB GSkill DDR-2133
970 EVO 500GB
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
DEEPCOOL Castle 360EX
BeQuiet case

And loving the system. 

One word of warning, I went through three AIO's until I found one that would properly handle the Ryzen 9.  There's a huge Reddit thread from AMD concerning how the chip spikes that drives cooling crazy with fans spinning up.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: WYBaugh on November 14, 2020, 10:08:58 PM
Jarhead, I built the following this year:

Ryzen 9 3900X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
64 GB GSkill DDR-2133
970 EVO 500GB
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
DEEPCOOL Castle 360EX
BeQuiet case

And loving the system. 

One word of warning, I went through three AIO's until I found one that would properly handle the Ryzen 9.  There's a huge Reddit thread from AMD concerning how the chip spikes that drives cooling crazy with fans spinning up.

I have this in the prospective build: CLX Quench 360 Closed Liquid Cooler and 7x Standard 120mm Case Fans. The fans are approximately 23 db.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

So, what does 6500 bucks get you? Diamond shafted cooling fans with 24 karat prisms to offer you a light show in your room?
I hope this price isn't just for a tower and its contents, because that would be either a total ripoff or the prices in the US for hardware are crazy at the moment.

I've recently built my rig for 1050 euros, which did include water cooling, but no videocard (kept my 1080 for now, anticipating the 3000 series) and I used my Fractal D4 case again.
But if I would take into account a 3080, new monitor, headset, keyboard and mouse, I would still remain well under 3000 euros.

6500 seems rather excessive, but fitting for the title's thread however! 😊😊
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 15, 2020, 01:37:25 AM
So, what does 6500 bucks get you? Diamond shafted cooling fans with 24 karat prisms to offer you a light show in your room?
I hope this price isn't just for a tower and its contents, because that would be either a total ripoff or the prices in the US for hardware are crazy at the moment.

I've recently built my rig for 1050 euros, which did include water cooling, but no videocard (kept my 1080 for now, anticipating the 3000 series) and I used my Fractal D4 case again.
But if I would take into account a 3080, new monitor, headset, keyboard and mouse, I would still remain well under 3000 euros.

6500 seems rather excessive, but fitting for the title's thread however! 😊😊

I agree. I just don't understand that kind of a price, especially for less than top of the line specs. I can see paying a premium for best parts, professional assembly and warranty support, but that price still feels extremely excessive to me.

$3,000 is by far the most I've ever considered spending on a rig, but at that price it's pretty god damn loaded.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

solops

This thread makes me realize that my rig is now 5 or 6 years old....wow. It is still super for all of my games, but I don't do flight sims other than IL-2, nor do I do VR, yet, so it still seems excessively powered. I have upgraded the RAM once to 32 Gigs and the GPU twice.  I guess I should think about getting a new one...? My son and I built mine and one for him and it was great fun.....and CHEAP. I will do the same again when the time comes. Too easy to build yourself. He still has his rig and has done much the same, but he has upgraded to liquid cooling as well as upgraded CPU, GPU and RAM. And we have both added additional SSDs. And I put a cool sticker on mine.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin