Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Ethel the Frog on November 27, 2018, 10:09:08 PM
Ok. I am proposing we raise two legions.  (Has the tribune proposal passed?) 

Vote in any order on this and on the tribune thing if it has not passed yet.  THen let me know what the next order of business is.

Yep, the Tribune thing passed. (I left a note back at the hangout when it did.  O:-) ) That's why Tribunes are a thing now. (Appius had to sacrifice a little Influence to do it, but he gained back as much Popularity.)

After this vote, pass or fail, you could try raising only one legion (if it fails); but otherwise the only thing remaining will be sending Manlius to War, which I can process automatically since you have a bunch of Contracted votes for it already. I'll only need to know from you how many Legions you want to send with Manny as part of your eventual Proposal on that. ;)

I'll drop a vote alert by p-mail to help expedite things. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

IncompetentIdiot

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 27, 2018, 10:26:34 PMAfter this vote, pass or fail, you could try raising only one legion (if it fails); but otherwise the only thing remaining will be sending Manlius to War, which I can process automatically since you have a bunch of Contracted votes for it already. I'll only need to know from you how many Legions you want to send with Manny as part of your eventual Proposal on that. ;)
Hypothetically, could the Frog assign Manlius one legion to get him killed and still force his coalition partners to vote for the proposal?  ;)

If so, that's quite the loophole in the contract.

malize

JasonPratt

Quote from: IncompetentIdiot on November 27, 2018, 11:36:56 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on November 27, 2018, 10:26:34 PMAfter this vote, pass or fail, you could try raising only one legion (if it fails); but otherwise the only thing remaining will be sending Manlius to War, which I can process automatically since you have a bunch of Contracted votes for it already. I'll only need to know from you how many Legions you want to send with Manny as part of your eventual Proposal on that. ;)
Hypothetically, could the Frog assign Manlius one legion to get him killed and still force his coalition partners to vote for the proposal?  ;)

If so, that's quite the loophole in the contract.

He absolutely could, yes!

Why he would do that, I have no idea. But I've been hinting that the loophole exists since y'all agreed to it. ;)

I should however also note, that assigning one Legion to Manlius is not likely to get him killed. Death chances for commanders in battle are directly proportionate to how many Legions they lost during particular distinct fights. Paradoxically, if he goes up and gets his one Legion slaughtered, he only has one chance to die, effectively one chance in however many chits are in the death bag. (One for each family in the game, plus some blanks, plus a couple of draw-2-more chits.) If he goes up and gets five Legions slaughtered, he has five chances to die (the last chance being a capture instead, if the War is still Active).

I'll want to double-check that with the rules soon. I don't recall a Force wipe being automatic death for its commander(s), but that does seem intuitively correct and the proper neurons may just not be firing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

AzTank sends in a p-mail that Conservatives will vote for the Legion Raise.

Tripoli

Quote from: Ethel the Frog on November 27, 2018, 10:09:08 PM
Ok. I am proposing we raise two legions.  (Has the tribune proposal passed?) 

Vote in any order on this and on the tribune thing if it has not passed yet.  THen let me know what the next order of business is.

I'm a little behind the power curve on this one.  I vote in favor of the proposal to raise the 2 legions
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Passing through, let's see: Plutocrats, Progressives, Conservatives, Militarists, Populists -- I'm sure we've got an absolute majority even without a definite vote from the Aristocrats (though a very good question from I.I.!)

So, I'll process that this afternoon.

Next up then comes the Contracted Deployment. The Frog will only have to specify how many Legions he's sending.

JasonPratt

The Frog sends by chat that he'll Propose as many Legions be sent as Tripoli wants.

I feel pretty safe in saying that would be "ALLLLL OFFF THEMMMMM!"  \m/ (Since he thought 8 was a little underpowered for his expedition and voted for 2 more.)

With the Contracted votes, this Proposal will automatically pass.

I'll have to double-check whether this fulfills all the conditions of this Contract, or if there are others lingering forward.

This will probably end the Senate Phase, too, as no other useful Proposals remain (unless there's a conspiracy with enough clout to try stripping the new PontMax! -- but under the circumstances that seems unlikely, for this Turn anyway. ;) )

Consequently, I should be processing the next phases automatically for a while tonight and reporting results.  O:-)

Tripoli

Since it is a strength 7 war, I would like all of 'em for the Pyrrhic war  I think we can hold off prosecuting the other war for one turn, at the cost of some unrest.  Am I correct on this, or is there a mininimum number of legions we would need for the second war (whose name escapes me)

JasonPratt

I'm not sure what you're asking, but if a War doesn't get attacked it doesn't count as Prosecuted; and I seem to recall reading in the rules that if attacking it leads to so many Legion casualties that there are fewer Legions at the War than its basic Land Strength (not counting other factors which might be on the enemy's side of the War, none of which have unlocked yet) then even attacking it doesn't count as Prosecuting it.

(This is a subtle point that I might have missed in one of the Republic's earliest battles, when Cinc lost all but one of his Legions: he had to have dropped below the Land Strength of the War, none of which are less than 2, and so the War should not have been counted as Prosecuted. But this is something I'll be rechecking on future Wars when Forces have less than minimal strength.)

Tripoli

I just wanted to make sure I understood the mechanics.  It looks like we can not send any legions to the second latin war, leaving it unprosecuted at a cost of 1 unrest next turn (rule 1.10.9).  If hypothetically all legions were to go to the Pyrrhic  war,  the Roman combat value would be 10 (#legions) + 8 (Manlius' military skill).  (Quick note: are any legions veteran?  If so, that would add 1 per veteran legion) v. a strength 7 war, ie a difference of 11.  On the CRT, that means a die roll of anything other than "snake eyes" would be a victory, and there would be  a 72% of having no losses at all.

JasonPratt

That's all correct. No Veterans yet: veteran Legions don't unlock until the Early Provincial Era.

Yokai! -- let's get to it! Having allowed plenty of time for anyone to throw assassinations or whatnot  ^-^, and with nothing else useful to Propose, I judge the Senate Phase to be automatically concluded.

Having looked over the SIXTH TURN GRAND CONVOCATION thoroughly, I judge all its terms to have been fulfilled, and the Contract to now expire. (Note that the Aristo-Conservation Contract must still run for at least three more Turns, though.)

I don't think there are any more personal statistics to adjust, so off Manlius goes to attack the Pyrrhic War!

(An ad/mod, Jarhead if I recall correctly, or if not him then it was JudgeDredd -- my neurons get their nicknames mixed up in my memory frequently -- has promised to re-install the dice rolling module; but that hasn't happened yet so I'll still be using TTS dice and reporting the results. As Tripoli has calculated, it should be a slaughterous curbstomp.  O0 )

JasonPratt

Rome's Talents drop 20 to 106, by the way, in Raising the 9th and 10th Legions.

Manlius leaves Rome with all 10 Legions; the Militarist Total Influence goes down 8 to 13, and the vote tally goes down 5 to 9.

Snapshot of the Manly One at war with his Legions:

He's still a Military Statesman, so still has those bonuses to his Mil score; and still has his Concession. I just left those markers back home for my convenience in moving things around.

Note that he's still Faction Leader despite being out of Rome at War! -- if he dies, he'll lose all his "pieces" except that one, and his family card will bounce back to Tripoli immediately from the Curia. (He'll still collect his Concession income while at War, too, in case something happens to delay him here.)

JasonPratt

TURN SIX -- COMBAT PHASE
------------------------

Field Consul Manlius vs the Pyrrhic War!
Manly Legions: 10
Manly Headquarters: 8
War's Land Strength: -7
DRM = +11

3d6 = 10 (not a D/S result, yay!) + 11 DRM = 21

That's 18 or more, so total victory, no losses!

JasonPratt

(This was so much of a slaughter, that I had John Carpenter's "Halloween Triumphant" running in the background while resolving the Phase...)

(The mask pulses in 3D if you watch carefully. Or too much...  >:D )

Unrest -1, down to 2. Spoils = 10 Talents, so Roman Treasury up 10 to 116. The Pyhhric War discards.

No Enemy Leader (Pyrrhus having died before the War started), so no Spolia Opima yet! Manlius gains half the War's Land strength, rounded up, so 4 + 1 (for Militarist special ability) = 5 Pop (up from 0 to 5) and 5 Influence (up from 8 to 13). Manlius goes back to Rome: total votes back up 5 to 14; total influence back up 13 to 26! All ten Legions return to Active.

With all fights done, the 2nd Latin War moves to Unprosecuted.

This ends the Combat Phase.