Boggit hits the beaches of Japan!

Started by Jarhead0331, May 10, 2019, 09:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

Great AAR, very well written and I love the marked up screenshots.

I still haven't sunk my teeth into the game proper, aside from an evening or two with the USMC western beach landing scenario.  It's a bit of a grind, for sure, but I love the allure of stomping around Kyushu at an operational level with my pixel Marines.  Already looking forward to Japan '46!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Boggit

Thank you for your kind words and appreciation.

You are very welcome, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it. It is guys like you that make the effort of writing an article worthwhile. :)

I'll also give an honourable mention to Jarhead and/or Gus for the light editing of the article which, in my opinion improved the initial draft I sent in. It's not immediately obvious but these articles are usually a team effort, and while the writer does most of the work gets credit for it, it is rare for credit going to the editors who review, comment and sometimes make improvements to the format before the article sees the light of day.

FWIW, I've just started the single player Operation Olympic SOLO campaign. Two turns in those beach landings have been VERY messy. And once I'm off the beach the soft ground conditions and difficult terrain means that progress will be slow and costly. I wish you happy landings in your own game. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GroggyGrognard

Thank you for posting this. An entertaining read. Excellent AAR and superb screenshots.

Groggy
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin

ComradeP

Late response, I only read the AAR today: Nice AAR Boggit!

A note about Rubble: it doesn't change the terrain fire reduction/increase and it can be more of a handicap for the defender than the attacker as it requires full MP's to enter with a regular move. Assaulting is possible as long as you have 2/3 MP's left. You can "strategically" create Rubble to prevent the Japanese player from reinforcing them, whilst units landing on the beach can still assault those hexes after landing as long as they don't land in a minefield.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Sir Slash

Great AAR Boggit! And congrats on the win. This game doesn't look as old as I was expecting. Have they kept the visuals updated or something?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 14, 2019, 09:44:22 AM
Great AAR Boggit! And congrats on the win. This game doesn't look as old as I was expecting. Have they kept the visuals updated or something?

Yes. The visuals of all Panzer Campaigns titles have been updated. They are rather pleasant.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18