NFL - Pro Strategy v Axis Football?

Started by Phantom, October 26, 2019, 02:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom

OK, so not really wargames (or maybe not) but does anyone have an opinion on the above alternatives? I like a strategy/play calling game rather than a Madden style game, I want a current/last years season NFL mod for the game so that's a must, but aside from that what are the differences between these two? I'm primarily interested in playing individual games & seasons, not that bothered about running the club, drafts/trades etc.
I'm a Brit so am looking for an American perspective on this - its your game after all!
Regards
Keith

Grim.Reaper

One thing to note about Axis Football, it uses some crazy relegation (like soccer) system, versus standard NFL setup.  That alone keeps me away from playing that game, no idea what they were thinking.  If having a real life NFL setup is not important to you, maybe worth trying.  Pro Football Strategy keeps making strides each year so maybe worth checking out.  Personally, neither right now is in a place that fully meets my needs of an NFL game.

If your looking for more of a season replay, I would actually recommend ActionPC Football and Second and Ten Football.  Both of those excel very well in delivering a real world replay experience.

Phantom

Thanks Reaper. I'll try the two you mentioned, I think there's demos for both - thanks for the pointer!

Grim.Reaper

No problem, don't get me wrong....Axis and PS are likely very nice games, just depends on what your looking for in a game and the other two are pretty deep in season replay.  PS also has same good gameplay so worth checking out at some point.

Steelgrave

TBH, Axis Football lost me as a customer early on when, rather than upgrade their games, they chose to push out a new version every year at full cost. I bought 2015 and 2016 but I'm done with them. I am however debating Pro Strategy vs Draft Day Sports myself. Any thoughts there?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Steelgrave on October 27, 2019, 07:11:49 PM
TBH, Axis Football lost me as a customer early on when, rather than upgrade their games, they chose to push out a new version every year at full cost. I bought 2015 and 2016 but I'm done with them. I am however debating Pro Strategy vs Draft Day Sports myself. Any thoughts there?

Two totally different types of games.  I own Draft Day and good game and has made strides every year but still some room for improvement.  It is focused on career play (drafting, trades, free agency, etc.), where PS really doesn't have those things but sounds like the developer is trying to evolve each year.

Draft Day has a demo, try that first and then you can make a good decision.  Scroll down the page a bit...

https://www.wolverinestudios.com/free-game-demos/

Steelgrave

Phantom

Downloaded demo for second & ten - really good game, great variety in playcalling, demo has 2011 season which seems up to date for the year, dozens of options for sounds/graphics etc. Very much a text based game with a little animation for penalties, but I suspect as its stat based it gives a fairly accurate model of the game.
Couldn't find a demo for ActionPC Football, which looks like a similar product though with a very different interface & method of playcalling.
Both look very detailed & second & Ten is fun to play, with a vast amount of Pro & College Seasons.

Grim.Reaper

No demo for ActionPC but they have 30 day return policy.  You can get and play the full game and if don't like, you get money back with no question asked.  ActionPC does have more animation, basically little boxes moved around.  Second and ten does come with all nfl seasons and a bunch of college.  ActionPC you buy each separate or in bundles