What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailrunner

Quote from: Gusington on February 26, 2017, 10:26:40 PM
About to start The Fall of Berlin 1945 by Antony Beevor.

I read that book last year.  Good book.

trailrunner

I just finished these two books:

War of the Rats is a story that's been done before in the book and movie Enemy at the Gates, so it was pretty familiar to me.  I thought War of the Rats was OK, but not spectacular.  The book spends a lot of time in character development, which I expected and wanted in a novel.  But I didn't find the German sniper's character very plausible, and I also didn't find the endgame very plausible either.

The Last Citadel was a bit better.  Again, there was a lot of character development, which I wanted, especially on the Russian side.  I've read about Kursk and Pokhorovka, but I wanted to see it from the soldiers' view, and I got some of that in the book.  The description of tank operations was interesting, but when I was done, I didn't find the story to be tight.  I guess it was enjoyable enough, and I've always found historical fiction to be a good way to learn.

Since we're talking about books -- I recently found out that I have privileges to the Pentagon library.  Nice!   :D

Gusington

I enjoyed War of the Rats very much.

Almost done with the Fall of Berlin and its even better than Beevor's Stalingrad, if possible. It's a true work of art.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Don't laugh, but I'm just now getting around to reading The Once and Future King by T.H. White for the first time.  Given it's pretty much considered the gold standard for modern Arthurian storytelling (and a benchmark for modern fantasy in general), I figured I should probably finally sit down and give it a go. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MetalDog

The lesser known, Book of Merlyn is decent, too.  Once And Future King is pretty good.  I wish you happy reading.  :bd:
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Thanks MD!  Yeah, Book of Merlyn is also mentioned in the beginning, so I may have to check that out as well. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bob48

I finally got around to starting 'Crete' by Beevor.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Excellent. I'm about half way through it, and its very illuminating. Its a campaign that I was pretty vague about, but as usual, Beevor covers it all in astounding detail and in a very readable way. Its also interesting in that Prince Phillip served on a destroyer in this campaign.

'Clip those corners'

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on March 12, 2017, 04:34:52 PM

I'm about halfway through. Great read.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Beevor should be the Official Grogheads Author.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Beevor or Max Hastings. Both are brilliant.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bob48

Quote from: mirth on March 12, 2017, 04:56:11 PM

Both sides made some incredible cock-ups.

'Clip those corners'

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on March 12, 2017, 05:34:23 PM
Quote from: mirth on March 12, 2017, 04:56:11 PM

Both sides made some incredible cock-ups.

You ain't kidding. I just read about the 2nd drop on Maleme. Why Student thought it was okay to try and drop east of the Tavronitis is baffling. Just as baffling as pretty much everything the Brits did there.

bob48

Plus its Freyberg's obsession with a sea landing, when all the evidence said 'no sea landing'. One good push at the airfield would have won the day. But hells teeth, the Cretan people were a ferocious lot.

'Clip those corners'