What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I think the Creatans were a bit fed up with invaders in general.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Blame the Mycenaeans for souring the Cretans' opinions on invaders right from the get-go.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

I blame the Mycenaeans for a lot of things.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

It's all their fault. All of it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

What'd they ever do to you?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I think they peed in his Greece.  :DD
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

I just finished "The Good Years" by Walter Lord.  It is a light US history of some major events from 1900 to 1914.

I'm currently reading "Lonely Vigil" about the Coast Watchers in the Solomons in WW2.

I've already read Incredible Victory and Day of Infamy.

He writes entertaining, light history that incorporate a lot of viewpoints of individuals from the time period. 
I may read "A Time to Stand" (the Alamo) and Miracle at Dunkirk.  Any opinions on these two if you have read them?

Greybriar

I am enjoying reading The Royal Succession by Maurice Druon.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Sir Slash

Just started, "Lee's Lost Dispatch and Other Civil War Controversies" by Philip Leigh. Great book so far-- lots to think about with some very good points from both sides.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Finished Beevor's Fall of Berlin yesterday. Classic book. Just started Ghostland: American History in Haunted Places by Colin Dickey.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Quote from: Gusington on March 16, 2017, 02:51:53 PM
Finished Beevor's Fall of Berlin yesterday. Classic book.
I very much enjoyed that book too!

Putting down Solzhenitsyn's "August 1914" for a while. The first half of the book was pretty good with the Tannenberg battle.

Started Prit Buttar's "Collision of Empires: The War on the Eastern Front in 1914" a few nights ago and I'm liking it so far.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: bob48 on March 12, 2017, 04:34:52 PM
I finally got around to starting 'Crete' by Beevor.

Read this a couple months ago and really enjoyed it as well.

bob48

I finished it today. Some of the incident's, such as the capture of General Kreipe, are astounding.

Definitely I would rank this as one of his best books, an amazing mixture of bravery, brutality, and downright stupidity.

Also, if you've not already read it, I would recommend 'A Magnificent Disaster' by David Bennett.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

^Have you read Beevor's Berlin book?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Not yet, but its on my list.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!