Galactic Civilizations 3: Crusade

Started by Yskonyn, June 01, 2017, 12:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

I have been playing around with the new big expansion / overhaul for GalCiv 3 called Crusades.

Lots of things have changes and some are a little confusing if you're used to the old way.
Please read the linked article for a good synopsis on gameplay changes and mechanics. But please ignore the ads and the hyperbole being used in some places in the text.
I dont know the website, but the article struck me as translating the core changes in mechanics quite well!

Crusades has rocketed GalCiv3 right to the upper reaches of my favorite 4x list! Having lots of fun with it!
https://www.pcgamesn.com/galactic-civilizations-iii/galactic-civilizations-3-crusade-review
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rayfer

Got the vanilla game on sale a few months back and was extremely disappointed. I seemed like nothing more than a mod for GC2 rather than a new release game.

Yskonyn

Like posted before on this board and countless others, the base game isn't very good indeed. For fans of the GalCiv series vanilla v3 was quite a big letdown.
The team has been working hard, through ups and downs, for these last few years and support has been ever ongoing as is now shown by the truely humongously sized re-do of the game in the form of Crusades.
Brad Wardell has returned to the team to give the development process focus again, something GalCiv 3 sorely needed. He has also worked  his AI programming magic again and it shows; the game's AI is devious and cunning.
The new Civilization editor is great as well. You can expand the game's content pretty much infinitely now with new races and custom ship builds which is great for the future.

Espionage has returned. They nicked Civ 6's Great People mechanic in some form with (Specialized) Citizens and the Economy and Colony management has seen a complete rework. The Constructor-spam of old is gone as well.

The game might not score high on innovation in relation to what is already out there, but the game is a complete and sturdy package with many of great things we love in 4x games and the AI will truely kick your ass on higher difficulty settings!  :knuppel2:

Forget any GalCiv 3 version up until Crusades. Really.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rayfer

Thanks Ys.....might be worth checking out!

glen55

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 01, 2017, 08:10:05 AM
Like posted before on this board and countless others, the base game isn't very good indeed. For fans of the GalCiv series vanilla v3 was quite a big letdown.
The team has been working hard, through ups and downs, for these last few years and support has been ever ongoing as is now shown by the truely humongously sized re-do of the game in the form of Crusades.
Brad Wardell has returned to the team to give the development process focus again, something GalCiv 3 sorely needed. He has also worked  his AI programming magic again and it shows; the game's AI is devious and cunning.
The new Civilization editor is great as well. You can expand the game's content pretty much infinitely now with new races and custom ship builds which is great for the future.

Espionage has returned. They nicked Civ 6's Great People mechanic in some form with (Specialized) Citizens and the Economy and Colony management has seen a complete rework. The Constructor-spam of old is gone as well.

The game might not score high on innovation in relation to what is already out there, but the game is a complete and sturdy package with many of great things we love in 4x games and the AI will truely kick your ass on higher difficulty settings!  :knuppel2:

Forget any GalCiv 3 version up until Crusades. Really.

I was also thoroughly unimpressed with GC 3, but picked this expansion up a couple of weeks ago after seeing how positive the reviews were. Only thing is, where am I gonna find the time? Booked to the gills with Mass Effect Andromeda and Steel Division Normandy, and Cold Water coming soon!

One of these days, Alice, one of these days . . . I'll get to it.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Sparhawk

I picked up the Crusade expansion when it came out and have really enjoyed it. It is a different game. Being able to focus development or espionage with citizens is great. They have gotten me to engage in diplomacy as well, which I normally ignore in 4x games.  I'd say it has risen to the top of my space 4x likes, for now at least.

ghostryder

With Crusades came a huge price...small maps. One of the ongoing selling points to why we even needed another Gal Civ was the ability of huge maps- which was taunted with the new engine. It's ironic just as the game finally caught up to par with Gal CivII the maps shrunk- killing the game in my opinion as I deplore small maps in 4x games.

bbmike

Quote from: ghostryder on June 03, 2017, 07:39:14 AM
With Crusades came a huge price...small maps. One of the ongoing selling points to why we even needed another Gal Civ was the ability of huge maps- which was taunted with the new engine. It's ironic just as the game finally caught up to par with Gal CivII the maps shrunk- killing the game in my opinion as I deplore small maps in 4x games.

They are saying that the patch that's about to drop fixes that.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Yskonyn

'Ludicrous' is the term used for the tier higher than Huge.
Its about to drop soon enabling super sized maps again. There was an explanation about the why's and how's but I forgot the details.

Point is, you beloved huge maps are about to return.

bbmike

Yep, here's the linky.
For me, it doesn't matter. I prefer smaller maps. There's too much to keep up with on those giant ones.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Pete Dero

Galactic Civilizations III: Gold : package for $ 19.99

https://store.stardock.com/product/ESD-SDE-W154

Includes

Galactic Civilizations III
    Galactic Civilizations III: Crusade
    Galactic Civilizations III: Mercenaries
    Altarian Prophecy DLC
    Lost Treasures DLC
    Rise of the Terrans DLC
    Builder's Kit DLC
    Precursor Worlds DLC
    Revenge of the Snathi DLC
    Mega Events DLC
    Map Pack DLC
    Soundtrack

I guess this package is worth it ?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 21, 2017, 01:44:15 PM

Includes

Altarian Prophecy DLC
    Lost Treasures DLC
    Rise of the Terrans DLC
    Builder's Kit DLC
    Precursor Worlds DLC
    Revenge of the Snathi DLC
    Mega Events DLC
    Map Pack DLC
    Soundtrack

I guess this package is worth it ?

That's a great deal!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Philippe

I've spent many hours playing Stellaris, and haven't encountered a single space hamster.

Doesn't mean they aren't there, but Stellaris has much better aliens than Gal Civ 1 and 2 (have burned out on that series so I don't think I'll be trying 3).
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Philippe on June 21, 2017, 01:55:47 PM
I've spent many hours playing Stellaris, and haven't encountered a single space hamster.

Doesn't mean they aren't there, but Stellaris has much better aliens than Gal Civ 1 and 2 (have burned out on that series so I don't think I'll be trying 3).

I agree that the races in Stellaris are among the best, but where in GalCiv III are there "Space Hamsters"?

There is the "Snathi" and they are indeed stupid, but they are only in a DLC, which can easily be avoided.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tuna

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 21, 2017, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 21, 2017, 01:44:15 PM

Includes