MARCHING EAGLES/HPS (Austerlitz, Marengo, Waterloo...)

Started by laborde, March 21, 2020, 02:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

laborde

If you like IGOUGO Pbem war games, you will like ME as well Boggit i am sure...  ;)

Quote from: Boggit on December 15, 2020, 09:53:22 PM
A new game to me. Has anyone played it yet? Any good?

Adraeth

I own Waterloo and Marengo; i really like the approach, by now i sense there are some rough edges: example, i do not like to select artillery from a menu then locate it and then fire it (i should suggest a fire order for the artillery counter).

In every game i love if there is an editor, and in this engine the editor should be awesome, indeed i use the editor a lot to make fictional battles, however i wuold love to edit even maps.

Sometimes the editor has bugs in placing units (just sometimes)

I might suggest it, it is fast yet intriguing.

laborde

ME Battle of Austerlitz pbem ended as a draw   O0
Lancier(LGA) vs Paul(Allied Armies) 20 turns of AARs can be found on TWC, HERE

Marching Eagles/HPS tips from Paul are on TWC too, HERE.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Lancier on January 29, 2021, 11:58:13 PM
ME Battle of Austerlitz pbem ended as a draw  :bigthumb:

Is this series supported like other hps games where previous versions get any new features introduced with latest versions?  And you just pick the battle that interests you?  Or is always the latest battle the most polished with all features?

laborde

All 3 titles that are released are fully supported. When Paul (the creator) has improvements, he applies them to this to all titles. That can be seen on HPS updates page too. In fact he still adds lots of scenarios to the first game (waterloo) which has the most scenarios so far. I have all the games from ME, favorite is Austerlitz but Waterloo is great too as it has QB-Ligny-Wavre and giant Waterloo itself!  :clap:

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 30, 2021, 08:16:09 AM
Quote from: Lancier on January 29, 2021, 11:58:13 PM
ME Battle of Austerlitz pbem ended as a draw  :bigthumb:

Is this series supported like other hps games where previous versions get any new features introduced with latest versions?  And you just pick the battle that interests you?  Or is always the latest battle the most polished with all features?

rustyshackleford

Would this be a good series to get into as a beginner new to Napoleonics?

Grim.Reaper

Paul Bruffell

Quote from: Adraeth on January 05, 2021, 06:25:42 AM
I own Waterloo and Marengo; i really like the approach, by now i sense there are some rough edges: example, i do not like to select artillery from a menu then locate it and then fire it (i should suggest a fire order for the artillery counter).

In every game i love if there is an editor, and in this engine the editor should be awesome, indeed i use the editor a lot to make fictional battles, however i wuold love to edit even maps.

Sometimes the editor has bugs in placing units (just sometimes)

I might suggest it, it is fast yet intriguing.

If you notice the editor or main game has a bug please explain it here and I will look to resolve and send an update out via the HPS free updates. At present updates on Marching Eagles games are coming out every 1 - 2 months. Waterloo version 2.07 is only a matter of weeks off now.
On the artillery fire - I created the Fire dialog box as the means of firing artillery first and later created the toolbar button (shows cannon) for single artillery unit fire - simply activate the artillery unit (left click relevant Unit Information Box and get a yellow star on top left corner) click the toolbar button then click one of the areas highlighted showing what the artillery unit can fire at. No need to search through a list of artillery units  :)
I prefer the artillery toolbar button approach. :)

Regards,
Paul

laborde

I always use the "toolbar" for arty fire tbh. As every turn i dont fire all my guns to use my command points in a balanced way...

QuoteI am going to buy one, just not sure which one yet
Probably Paul's suggetion will be more important but as a ME player i would say "Waterloo". Many scenarios you have to learn the game also a lot of fun to play against & with the Brits.

QuoteWould this be a good series to get into as a beginner new to Napoleonics?
Exactly!  O0

We have an email chain (at TWC) with ME pbem players where Paul B. is in too... Let me know if any of you get the game so i will include you there too.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Lancier on January 31, 2021, 01:46:57 AM
I always use the "toolbar" for arty fire tbh. As every turn i dont fire all my guns to use my command points in a balanced way...

QuoteI am going to buy one, just not sure which one yet
Probably Paul's suggetion will be more important but as a ME player i would say "Waterloo". Many scenarios you have to learn the game also a lot of fun to play against & with the Brits.

QuoteWould this be a good series to get into as a beginner new to Napoleonics?
Exactly!  O0

We have an email chain (at TWC) with ME pbem players where Paul B. is in too... Let me know if any of you get the game so i will include you there too.

Went with Waterloo.

Just curious, is there any settings that can be changed to allow the game to scale better especially on 4k monitors?  Thee map stays smaller all the way on the left and then units and other things are small all the way on the right.  I couldn't find any option in the e menus, but was hoping something existing in a config file or something.  Makes it real hard to see things.  Even if the map didn't fully scale, the units and information should line up right next to the map so your eyes aren't looking at two extremes.  It's going to be hard for me to fully get into the game like this.

laborde

Never heard of that prob so far. We must ask Paul as i play on a laptop. Thanks for mentioning tho, i am sure there is a solution.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Lancier on January 31, 2021, 05:00:57 AM
Never heard of that prob so far. We must ask Paul as i play on a laptop. Thanks for mentioning tho, i am sure there is a solution.

Thanks, keeping my fingers crossed and since Paul has posted here, hoping he might stop back to help answer and/or consider changes for a future update.  More and more larger screens being used nowadays so hopefully can be accommodated.  I know I can change my desktop resolution prior to playing the game but that becomes a pain as different games have different needs.