Questions for DVG Warfighter

Started by JudgeDredd, November 05, 2014, 07:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 07, 2014, 05:43:29 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 07, 2014, 03:37:53 PM
Dammit...now you've all 'forced' me to add this to a pre-order game order. Bastards.  :D

AB, it's what we LIVE for! You won't regret it though. I love what I'm seeing so far and can't wait to try it out this weekend.

I have a question.  If you are playing by yourself, how many Player Soldiers can you bring?  What are the pros and cons of bringing more NPS or Squads instead?
I guess more action cards would better than just maintaining just one hand.

PanzersEast

Quote from: jomni on November 07, 2014, 06:00:53 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 07, 2014, 05:43:29 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 07, 2014, 03:37:53 PM
Dammit...now you've all 'forced' me to add this to a pre-order game order. Bastards.  :D

AB, it's what we LIVE for! You won't regret it though. I love what I'm seeing so far and can't wait to try it out this weekend.

I have a question.  If you are playing by yourself, how many Player Soldiers can you bring?  What are the pros and cons of bringing more NPS or Squads instead?
I guess more action cards would better than just maintaining just one hand.

You can bring a regular Solider ( can draw cards equal to his health), NPC Solider which comes with pre-set gear and weapon loadout all in the cost, and you have Squad Solider with a chart on his card and the number of predefined actions per health point.... they do not have specific weapons, one the chart on their card.

The cost of each differ depending on certain things so you can bring as many of each as you can, however you have a limited number of Resource points for soldiers, weapons, gear, special abilities... so it is a balance and just depends on your mission and objective.  I have experimented with 2 soldiers so I can draw two hands of cards, and one Squad or NPC card.  Each soldier has a weight limit of what they can carry, so you cannot just pick two and weigh them down with anything you want....

There are a lot of options in the game and really no wrong way, just the freedom to choose.. however even when I think I have chosen well, there are twist in the game that can really turn chaotic.

PE

MikeGER

PE, will you please continue your fine AAR in the other thread ?

i wonder if there will be a VASSAL version of that game in the near future

jomni

Quote from: MikeGER on November 08, 2014, 02:53:30 AM

DVG vassal modules are usually for sale and seldom free.

MikeGER

Quote from: jomni on November 08, 2014, 04:31:20 AM

DVG vassal modules are usually for sale and seldom free.

i never said it has to be a free one ...i mean the offcial
(now if a VASSAl version would work on Android tablets too one day it would be perfect)

PanzersEast

Quote from: MikeGER on November 08, 2014, 02:53:30 AM

Actually getting ready to post a new one... I decided to so I can show the added skills and equipment and I have a better idea of what I want to do.  Should have something posted this afternoon.

PE

PanzersEast

JudgeDredd

Here's a question

Semi, Burst and Auto. There doesn't seem to be a link between these modes and running out of ammo

I suppose the fact that the more die you roll, the greater your chance of rolling a "reload"

So maybe I've answered my own question.

It just seemed weird that you didn't run out of ammo quicker with a full auto attack.

But I'm willing to go with how they've made it...for now
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I'm a bit concerned about the bullet die.

I don't know if this is anyone else's experience, but I seldom roll anything other than a 6 for cover (9mm bullet die). I definitely rolled more 6's with the bullet die in my one play through than I ever did with a 6 sided die in other games.

Less worrying is that the 10 sided die can be a bit difficult to read for me. Like I go to move them (pick them up) to read what side is up and they end up rolling a bit.

I like the idea of them, but for me at least in my first play through, they aren't very practical (for me)

I think I may be going back to my normal die.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 11, 2014, 04:01:02 AM
Here's a question

Semi, Burst and Auto. There doesn't seem to be a link between these modes and running out of ammo

I suppose the fact that the more die you roll, the greater your chance of rolling a "reload"

So maybe I've answered my own question.

It just seemed weird that you didn't run out of ammo quicker with a full auto attack.

But I'm willing to go with how they've made it...for now

Yep.   Roll more dice, you have a higher chance of rolling the Reload value (or less). 

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 11, 2014, 06:10:40 AM

I don't know if this is anyone else's experience, but I seldom roll anything other than a 6 for cover (9mm bullet die). I definitely rolled more 6's with the bullet die in my one play through than I ever did with a 6 sided die in other games.

Less worrying is that the 10 sided die can be a bit difficult to read for me. Like I go to move them (pick them up) to read what side is up and they end up rolling a bit.

I like the idea of them, but for me at least in my first play through, they aren't very practical (for me)

Not played yet.  But it's easy to notice your point about the 10-sided bullet die. 

Perhaps a small careful permanent marker line down the ridge of each side would make it stand out better.  Or marking every other facing with a dot or square on a blank part of the bottom to differentiate.  Some kind of alternating or separating mark would probably help, but they would look a bit odd wouldn't they?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on November 11, 2014, 08:43:19 AM

Not played yet.  But it's easy to notice your point about the 10-sided bullet die. 

Perhaps a small careful permanent marker line down the ridge of each side would make it stand out better.  Or marking every other facing with a dot or square on a blank part of the bottom to differentiate.  Some kind of alternating or separating mark would probably help, but they would look a bit odd wouldn't they?
I've got loads of 'em. I'll experiment tonight

I'm more worried about the balance of the 9mm. I seriously can't remember the last time I rolled so many 6's on a six sided die in any game before.
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

quick - roll up a bunch of 1st ed D&D guys!  :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

PanzersEast

I have honestly moved away from rolling the bullet dice... they are cool for the AAR, but they roll forever and are harder to keep on the table.  I've opted for the traditional die and I prefer them over the bullet dice. 

I've had about the normal luck with the bullet die, but the past AAR I posted I was killing anything that moved.  My previous play though I was not as lucky.

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on November 11, 2014, 09:31:54 AM

I have honestly moved away from rolling the bullet dice... they are cool for the AAR, but they roll forever and are harder to keep on the table.  I've opted for the traditional die and I prefer them over the bullet dice. 

I wouldn't want to normally roll those, as they'd probably just continue off the table at times.  But that was the reason I got a couple of these awhile back anway, so I should be gtg as long as I can read them in reasonable time:

Strong 'chucking' of dice is ideal.  O0