Counter clippers

Started by Philippe, October 20, 2017, 11:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Barth, why are you oppossed to counter clipping
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

Mainly because I think it's a waste of time.... and a bizarre obsession with some people.
I've never felt the need to corner clip, although I do admit to trimming the worst of fuzzy corners... but still leaving the counter square.

I also would never buy a game from someone who has "clipped" the counters. You never know what yer gonna get.... see middle portrait in above picture.... 

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Barthheart on October 30, 2017, 06:13:46 PM
Mainly because I think it's a waste of time.... and a bizarre obsession with some people.

DINGDINGDING! We have a winner. I just have better things to do with my time.

Ubercat

Quote from: Arctic Blast on October 30, 2017, 09:37:31 PM

Like trying to straighten out your counters and figure out what hexes they belong in after their sloppy corners have caught on each other and dragged them out of place?  ???
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Crossroads

Quote from: Richie61 on October 30, 2017, 04:04:50 PM
Saw this on FB and thought of you guys  ;D

Spot on! You should always tidy up your chits with OregonLam clippers. It is known.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JudgeDredd

I've never felt the need to corner clip, although I do admit to trimming the worst of fuzzy corners... but still leaving the counter square.

I also would never buy a game from someone who has "clipped" the counters. You never know what yer gonna get.... see middle portrait in above picture....
Given the games I've bought, I see corner clipping as a necessity. I wouldn't clip the counters on a game where there were no fuzzy edges...but apart from Conflict of Heroes, any counters I have had have required tidying up - and so for the sake of uniformity, I would clip them all rather than just cut off the fuzzy edges.
Alba gu' brath

GJK

Says "I have better things to do with my time"
-spends all day Sundays laying on the sofa drinking beer and watching sports on TV.

:)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Ubercat on October 30, 2017, 10:09:04 PM

Like trying to straighten out your counters and figure out what hexes they belong in after their sloppy corners have caught on each other and dragged them out of place?  ???

Seriously, how clumsy are you people?!

Barthheart

Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 01, 2017, 10:27:44 PM

+100  O0

mirth

Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 01, 2017, 10:27:44 PM

Seriously, do you play wargames with counters?!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

I like when a game comes with counters that are already rounded. That helps mitigate the crap that forms on the corners. A Wing And A Prayer's counters are all slightly rounded so I have no reason to take my 3mm to it. :)

mirth

BanzaiCat

It's a little much for small counters.

mirth

Yeah, you did mention that. I've been happy with the 2.5mm rounder, but I'm thinking about picking up a 2 and a 3 just to round out my tool kit.