Small Scale Solitaire Infantry Boardgames?

Started by JudgeDredd, February 21, 2013, 06:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

JD, there are some pretty good solo rules for CoH, so I would not let the mines / OBA stuff put you off. Besides which, they only apply to a few of the firefights. There are also a good batch of extra firefights that you can download from Academy games website. It does play well as a solo system, although it obviously comes into its own as a multi-player game where it can be truly nail-biting.

As for NaW, well, I admit I'm pretty biased about this. Its a very easy to play / easy to learn / teach system and is a lot of fun. Its simple without being simplistic. Although there is only one full game currently available (WSR), there are a couple of small expansions and a brace of scenario's in Line of Fire magazine, plus Desert Heat should be out within the next month or so. On top of that, Stalin's Triumph (Kursk) is on pre-order and will hopefully hit target.

I've been fortunate enough to be involved in some of the play testing (Cobra and LoF) and am also currently engaged in helping design and develop several more expansions that may see the light of day.

This game hits the spot for me, and it deserves to do well and spawn many more add-ons. Highly recommended.

Oh, and if you want to play WSR and the Cobra expansion on Vassal, then fellow Grog Barthhart has done an excellent job of putting them there for us to enjoy :-)

If you want any more info on either CoH or NaW, just PM me and I'll be more than happy to help.

As a last parting shot - if you like NaW, then there is a heap of games in the WaW series as well. This is the system that NaW is derived from, but in a fictional 1985 WW3 setting.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GJK

why did Day of Heroes give you fits? The rules? Scenarios? Something else?

I don't know.  As you may know, I play ASL and that game is not difficult for me at all...in understanding the intent of the rules and how they are applied to the game.  The "learning curve" is simply remembering all of the details of when to apply what modifier.  That is the where I think the game gets its label as being "uber geeky and difficult to learn".  It really isn't though.

DoH/LnL rules just made no sense to me.  I found lots of contradictions, rules referenced all throughout the rulebook (ok, ASL does this too obviously) and the layout was atrocious to me.  Also the style or wording was just too much to parse.  I probably over-thought each rule and maybe should of just tried to play it with what I could figure out, but even that seemed like too much work.  I posted several messages on the LnL CSW folder with rules questions and the answers that I received were also contradictory.  I would be amazed if two people played that game the exact same way with their interpretation of the rules.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bob48

Well, I guess its a subjective thing. I played ASL a lot a few years back and my memory retains almost non of the rules. I would have to relearn it all. However, I can sit down and play CoH or NaW / WaW almost without having to refer to the rule books.

I agree that maybe LnL rules may not be the best laid-out, but there are a lot of games (and publishers) who's rule books are are a damn sight worse. Yeah, there were a few ambiguities, most of which have now been resolved as far as I'm concerned, mainly thanks to Cap'n Darwin's excellent Q/A and rules clarifications. Again, we are used to having errata for just about all published games, so that's pretty normal for the hobby.

I've played all the CoH games, WSR / Cobra and some of the WaW games with buddies and we don't have any issues about interpreting the rules for any of these games. On the other hand, I can't say that the same was true with ASL.

But, as I said at the beginning, its a very subjective thing.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

Here's my review of Band of Heroes from back in 2005 when it first game out.  Note that it's talking about the v2 rules, and not the newer v3 rules

http://wargamer.com/article/2097/Lock-'n-Load:-Band-of-Heroes

the kicker for the v2 rules is in the summary at the end
QuoteThe mechanics make for a very playable game. These impulses break up the action so that both players are constantly watching the action, looking for their next move, and trying anticipate their opponents'. The varying options of movement, firing, and assault movement keep players planning on the fly: should I assault move with the Fallschirmjaegers, and try to get a shot off after only moving 2 spaces? Or should I try and close to an adjacent space where I can bring my heavy firepower to bear on a unit that may poke a lot of holes in me next impulse?

The bad news? The rulebook. This game is fun, but the rules get in the way. More specifically, the presentation of the rules gets in the way. The rulebook is confusing and difficult to navigate. Counters are explained on page 7... and page 18, and page 19, and page 20, and page 25, and page 35. While it certainly makes sense to talk about armor counters in the same chapter as armor combat, a reference page grouping all counters together would be much more helpful during the game. Spotting, which is a prerequisite to firing, is introduced on page 15; fire combat is on page 11. And while no visual key to terrain hexes is only a frustration to a veteran gamer, it is a solid roadblock to a newbie.

Lock'n'Load: Band of Heroes is fun. It's just challenging for a novice to learn as it is presented.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

you can find a scan of the v3.1 rules from Heroes of the Gap here

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/files/thing/42731

give it a read and see if it's something that catches your fancy.

You can also get the free print'n'play mini-game called Checkpoint Calvi that's a good introduction to the rules w/o too much chrome

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/62036/check-point-calvi-english-version
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack Nastyface

There is also this "alternative" version of the rule book that I found quite good.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/84737/unofficial-rulebook-a-rewriting-of-the-official-v3

It's amazing what a few bullet points and paragraph structure can do for clarity.  The rules for spotting are so obtuse...this explains them nicely.

Lock n Load also has some demo versions of their games, available here:  http://www.locknloadgame.com/_store/download.asp?Category=11

Includes Falklands, Band of Heroes, and Forgotten Heroes (Nam).

Although I have not played it, I have heard very good things about Phantom Fury, from Nuts! publishing.  The board and counters look great, the game was nominated for a Charles S. Roberts award.  There are also some youtube videos, and a few good AARs at BGG.  Admittedly, the game does cover only one battle - the fight for Fallujah - but small mod is available at BGG to extend play.

Similarly, A Week in Hell (battle for Hue, Vietnam) which is frequently advertised on the side banner of Grogheads has had very good reviews.

Notable mention should probably also be given to Ranger, which provides a very unique game solitaire game experience in so far as route planning is key component of the game.  Two expansions are available.  I think Marco does a video review of it on youtube.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

GJK

Thanks for the link to those alternative rules - that is so much better!  DoH came with the 2.0 rules and I never could find a download for the 3.0 rules when they came out (frankly, I had given up on the game by then).  Might have to go find another copy of DoH now (doh!!)  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Arctic Blast

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 21, 2013, 05:01:09 PM
Having trouble finding it in Google for sale in the UK - looks like the thing I'm looking for - though I wouldn't be too averse to a complete Falklands campaign game - naval, air and ground combat

You probably won't find it. Ring of Hills was an expansion (for the WW2 based Band of Heroes, oddly enough) that I'm pretty sure has been out of print for awhile.

JudgeDredd

AB - I just bought LnL Band of Heroes 2nd Edition for £39.

Thanks all. That'll do me for now, but feel free to mention other things.

Oh - and if ANYONE comes across a solitaire/solo Falklands game (either just squad/platoon based or the entire conflict) then please feel free to drop me a note...I desperately want one.  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 22, 2013, 02:18:49 AM
AB - I just bought LnL Band of Heroes 2nd Edition for £39.

Thanks all. That'll do me for now, but feel free to mention other things.

Oh - and if ANYONE comes across a solitaire/solo Falklands game (either just squad/platoon based or the entire conflict) then please feel free to drop me a note...I desperately want one.  ;D

Feel free to ask questions about BoH. I cam certainly help you. We could even play through VASSAL.

As for The Falklands try and find Where there is Discord: War in the South Atlantic.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35614/where-there-is-discord-war-in-the-south-atlantic

JudgeDredd

Thanks

That is The Falklands game I was referring to - I can find references to it but never found a copy for sale - unfortunately  :(
Alba gu' brath

Arctic Blast

Oh, THAT Falklands game. Yeah, it occasionally shows up on a BGG auction. I don't think I've ever see it go for less than $250.

It's apparently up for a reprint, though.

JudgeDredd

Just took receipt of my Band of Heroes 2nd Edition game today. It looks amazing!

Rule book looks "heavy"...but the artwork is just that - pure art!
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 25, 2013, 05:31:19 AM
Just took receipt of my Band of Heroes 2nd Edition game today. It looks amazing!

Rule book looks "heavy"...but the artwork is just that - pure art!

Marc does great work.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JudgeDredd

I'm having some trouble taking these rules in.

I tend to learn "by example" as I have quite bad memory retention - I'm only on page 8 or something and struggling to remember what I've just read, let alone pages ago and nevermind what I have to go!

I want to do it as it's a beautiful game and I'm sure once the rules are in there they will stay - but the system is against me at the moment.  :(
Alba gu' brath