World at War : Blood and Bridges AAR

Started by JudgeDredd, October 28, 2013, 03:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Well - I discovered this in the back of my cupboard and remembered I didn't ever fire it up...shortly after picking this up. Band of Heroes turned up (which I do love but is pretty complex for my wee heed) and I gave that my immediate attention. Then with the changing around of my man cave, at some point my models and board games found themselves removed!

Anyway - I found it and I love the look of it - so I'm going to do an AAR because I often find that is the best way for me to get to grips with the ruleset and also some of you clever buggers out there can correct me - stopping me getting mistakes lodged in my head.

This will be a relatively slow affair - but I'll try and not make it painfully so.

The manual

Player Aid Card Numero Uno

Player Aid Card Numero Dos (TEC)

This is a selection of the units and chits available in the game. There weren't many to be honest, but as I've found with computer games and some of my other boardgames - I prefer less units

And the beautiful board ( I LOVE the look!)

I'll give you a break down of the numbers on the chits tonight (if I can kick my daughter off WoW!)
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

When I do post images, you'll have to forgive the flash on the counters/maps. Unfortunately my Olympus SP-610UZ doesn't take great pictures in bad light and so I need to use the flash. I'll try and minimise it as best I can
Alba gu' brath

Keunert

Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

JudgeDredd

It is a fine looking game. It seems somewhat limited in map and counter content, but there's a list of 12(?) scenarios in the back of the rule book - I haven't checked to see if there are others available or even addons - as I said, I forgot I had this as my wife moved it out of sight
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

LnL's Line of Fire magazine has lots of add on scenarios. There is at least one expansion for Blood and Bridges and there's another one coming out this month in Line of Fire called Baltic Fury.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on October 28, 2013, 05:24:05 AM
LnL's Line of Fire magazine has lots of add on scenarios. There is at least one expansion for Blood and Bridges and there's another one coming out this month in Line of Fire called Baltic Fury.
;D

See - plenty of people on hand to correct me!  ;D
Alba gu' brath

Capn Darwin

Should be a fair number of Soviet and British units and a few West German and US units to bolster the forces from Eisenbach Gap and Death of First Panzer.

Hope you enjoy it!
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2013, 05:28:59 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on October 28, 2013, 05:24:05 AM
;D

See - plenty of people on hand to correct me!  ;D

;D

Not correcting.... more like.... enlightening...  8)

JudgeDredd

Out of interest, anyone played this game (or the other versions)?
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2013, 08:11:10 AM

I'm just getting into the series. I'm starting with a copy of America Conquered. Played 2 scenarios so far.
Also just got a copy of the new Eisenbach Gap Deluxe which includes Death of the 1st Panzer.

I have played a bunch of the sister series Nations at War - WWII version of the system.

GJK

Me and Mad Russian gave Eisenbach Gap a go one Saturday.  I thought that it was ok, he didn't care for it though I don't think.  That Blood and Bridges looks pretty good though, I'd be curious to give that one a play so will follow your AAR closely.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I've played a bunch of EG and Do1P.  I own Blood & Bridges but haven't played any of it yet.

I enjoy the series, but there are a few admin quirks I'm not hugely fond of, like the distinctions of moving-while-firing / stabilized guns.  (Don't have time to go into detail right now, maybe later)

Cap'n Darwin was the main designer behind one of the other games in the series and can tell you all about it.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

I own and have played B&B as well as other games in the WaW series. I find them a lot of fun, though I lose regularly :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Windigo

Thanks for this JD. Will follow your AAR with enthusiasm.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bob48

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2013, 08:11:10 AM

Aye - I have all but the latest 2 WaW games, and B&B is my favourite - not played all the scenario's yet, but I'm slowly working my way through 'em.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!