World at War : Blood and Bridges AAR

Started by JudgeDredd, October 28, 2013, 03:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I'm glad you're doing an AAR on this game Judge as I meant to ask you about it in my thread.  After you mentioned this game that was sitting in your cupboard I researched it and was intrigued.

I tried to minimize my lighting glare by using a photo editor that can autocorrect brightness/contrast.  Actually I just manually adjusted/brightness contrast on my saved image file.  Results weren't too bad.   
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

Try putting a tissue over the flash to diffuse it. Should keep the glare down. Just make sure your flash doesn't get too hot.

JudgeDredd

Tried the tissue - unfortunately it made a big fat 0 difference. I guess it's quite a strong flash...even tried multiple layers to no effect.

I'll try the software thing
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

So - the chit numbers - what do they mean?
Full Strength/Reduced Strength
Full Strength units have a coloured band across the middle of their counter
Reduced Strength units have a white band across  the middle of their counter

AP Firepower
Red Number
The number of D6 to roll when attacking hard targets
If underlined, can shoot on the move

HE Firepower
Gold Number
The number of D6 to roll when attacking soft targets, thin skinned AFVs and helicopters
If underlined, can shoot on the move

AA Firepower
Blue Number
The number of D6 to roll when attacking air units

To Hit
The number you need to roll, or higher, in order to hit your target

Range
Normal range of the weapon can be x2 on some occasions at the loss of effectiveness
If underlined the unit cannot increase range

Armor
Number of D6 to roll to determine how many hits can be ignored

Save Number
Roll equal to or higher than this to cancel a hit

Movement Factor
Number of movement points available. If circled, can carry infantry

Assault Factor
D6 to roll when assaulting

Leadership
Remove this number when rolling for a rally check

Command Range
Units must be within this range to fight effectively

Morale
This is a strange one - not really clear in the manual which says
Morale is the measure of a unit's psychological state, readiness and training. Units always use their HQ's morale value when required to make a morale check.

A unit is either in Good Order or Disrupted. Good Order units are ready to fight. Disrupted units are disrupted, attrited by enemy fireand - to use the much maligned Lock n Load phrase - just tired of the whole war game scene. Their ability to wage war is severely restricted.

Helicopters have no morale. They automatically recover from disruption when their formation is activated and they are never out of command

It then says
Example: All units in the Soviet 74th Guards Tank Regiment have a morale factor of 7. When the game calls for a morale check, roll 2d6; if the result is the formations morale, the unit passes the moral check
That doesn't seem right to me - rolling 2d6 and hoping for a single number seems like most of your units would end up disrupted and find it very difficult to become in good order again.

Can anyone clarify? Should that be roll the Morale number OR higher/lower?
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Morale checks pass when you roll less than or equal to the HQ morale.

JudgeDredd

Thanks - thought that should be the case...but it doesn't make that clear in the manual - at least not in the section when it mentions morale (as exactly what I quoted above is the section from the manual on Morale)
Alba gu' brath

Windigo

Quote from: Barthheart on October 28, 2013, 06:21:38 PM

frontline morale determined by HQ?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

JudgeDredd

all units adopt their HQs morale value as I read it
Alba gu' brath

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2013, 06:27:34 PM
Thanks - thought that should be the case...but it doesn't make that clear in the manual - at least not in the section when it mentions morale (as exactly what I quoted above is the section from the manual on Morale)

Yeah... there's a couple of words missing there.... keep an eye out for that in the rest of the manual...

Barthheart

Quote from: Windigo on October 28, 2013, 06:52:29 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on October 28, 2013, 06:21:38 PM

frontline morale determined by HQ?

Yes entire formation's morale is noted on the HQ counter.

GJK

Quote from: Barthheart on October 28, 2013, 07:29:01 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 28, 2013, 06:27:34 PM

Yeah... there's a couple of words missing there.... keep an eye out for that in the rest of the manual...

I think that is the kind of stuff that just drove me absolutely batty trying to learn the LnL system.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Arctic Blast

Dammit...ANOTHER series I've been curious about. You people are going to bankrupt me!  ;D

Capn Darwin

Here is the rev2 FAQ for WaW. That might help on some of the rules. I think Mark is working on a new one here and there when he can.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

bob48

The Cap'n FAQ's are indispensable to anyone who plays WaW / NaW - lot of clarifications in there.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Can someone PLEASE clarify this...I've read it, and re-read it almost a dozen times and I just don't get it.
3.1 Operations Phase
Players alternate pulling a marker from the opaque container (hereafter called a cup). It doesn't matter who pulls first, so please be civil. If an END TURN marker is pulled from the cup, place it aside. If a second END TURN marker is pulled from the cup (or there are no more formation markers in the cup), the OPERATIONS PHASE ENDS and the Marker Removal Phase begins
Now - I take that to mean you pull chits and when the second end turn marker is pulled, the operations phase ends - right?

Cool...so what's this
3.2.1 Hey! My Formation Didn't Activate
If a formation marker isn't pulled during the turn, it's owner keeps all but one END TURN marker in his possession when the Formation and END TURN markers are returned to the cup
I take that to mean all counters are returned to the cup EXCEPT one END TURN marker - is this correct?

It goes on
He returns any END TURN markers he posses to the cup on the following turn immediately after the Formation marker is first pulled from the cup

So - what's going on. First I'm told when the second end turn marker is pulled, the turn ends. I thought that seemed like a good mechanic in that perhaps not all formations would be activated - luck of the draw, right?

But with 3.2.1, it's suggesting that all the counters except an END TURN counter are returned and they continue play until the formation(s) which didn't activate are played.
First - that suggests that the second End Turn marker DOES NOT end the turn - unless it's pulled after all formations have been activated - and that doesn't make sense - why then have the end turn markers - why not just continue to pull the formations out the cup if 3.2.1 seems to suggest keeping going until your formations have been activated.

Second...by saying this
it's owner keeps all but one END TURN marker in his possession when the Formation and END TURN markers are returned to the cup
That just puts all the formations back in the cup and confuses the issue!

If ANYONE could clarify this bolloxs - I'd be ever so pleased.

Ta

*edit*
I meant to say - I have read Capn Darwin's WaW rules clarification and FAQ and it didn't help me with this particular rule (though there are LOADS of helpful hints in there)
Alba gu' brath