World at War : Blood and Bridges AAR

Started by JudgeDredd, October 28, 2013, 03:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Darwin

JudgeDredd,

Ok, the turn can end one of two ways:

1. There are no more formation chits in the cup. Rare, but happens. Proceed to the Marker Removal phase.

2. During the course of the turn both End of Turn (EoT) markers are drawn. The turn does end now and you will head to the marker removal phase, but there is a special case if one or more of your or your opponent's formations did not activate at all (fails to activate) during the turn. In a case where one or more of your formations does not go in the turn, you hold out one EOT marker until ALL of those formations activate during the following turn. At the point all of them have acted you can toss the EoT in the cup.

This mechanic ensures that in the worst case a formation will act every other turn.

Does that help? Let me know.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 04, 2013, 04:38:33 PMI take that to mean all counters are returned to the cup EXCEPT one END TURN marker - is this correct?
That's what it's supposed to mean

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 04, 2013, 04:38:33 PMSo - what's going on. First I'm told when the second end turn marker is pulled, the turn ends. I thought that seemed like a good mechanic in that perhaps not all formations would be activated - luck of the draw, right?

I'll let Cap'n Darwin weigh in here more, but the gist of it is that by keeping one End Turn marker in your posession, it ensures that you *can't* end the turn until certain formation chits are pulled to activate them.  Only *after* activating them is the 2d end-turn marker returned to the cup, thus making it eligible to be drawn and therefore end the turn.

The intent is that one unit doesn't just sit idly by for 5 straight turns just b/c the chit didn't come up - especially since its possible to draw 2 end-turn chits as your first 2 chits, kill the turn with no one activating, and get 1 turn closer to victory in scenarios with tight turn limits.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

d'oh!  Ninja'ed by the Cap'n!  (who's supposd to have a day job that doesn't give him this kind of web-surfing flexibility!)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Also ninja'ed

JD. After you pull the second end turn marker, the turn ends. If a formation has NOT activated, then you keep one EoT marker out of the cup and return the all other chits to the cup.

You now commence a new turn. Thus, it means that since one EoT marker was left out, the new turn cannot end before all formations have been activated.

Note that applies if one side had a formation that did not activate because of both EoT markers being pulled. If both sides had a formation that did not activate before the EoT markers were pulled, then you keep both markers out of the cup for the next turn.

Hope that helps.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Right - so by keeping the EoT marker out (or both if both players have a formation not used) the turn has ended and a new turn has begun BUT because you have kept the EoT marker, it doesn't go in until you have activated the formation(s) that did not activate.

So it is a new turn? I think I've got why it's happening now - thanks.

So...Britain has 2 formations and the WP has 3
The chits get pulled thus
EoT
British 1
British 2
WP 1
EoT

In this scenario, all chits are returned to the cup except the WP...and the next turn goes like so
British 1
WP 1
EoT
WP 2
WP 3

And it's at this point the EoT marker is returned to the cup - and the turn continues until that EoT marker is pulled...so in the case above, if the next chit pulled is the EoT marker, then the British does not get to activate British 2 - or does it continue round again (because the British 2 was not activated that second turn)?
Alba gu' brath

bob48

Bear in mind that retained EoT markers are only returned to the cup at the beginning of a new turn, and not part way though an existing turn.

'Clip those corners'

Barthheart

Quote from: bob48 on November 04, 2013, 05:18:52 PM
Bear in mind that retained EoT markers are only returned to the cup at the beginning of a new turn, and not part way though an existing turn.

Sorry Bob, but as soon as all your formations that did not activate last turn have activated this turn, you then return your end turn counter to the cup. The whole idea is that a formation never gets screwed 2 turns in a row but a different formation could still get screwed.

So chits pulled:
Turn 1:
Brit1
WP1
EOT
Brit2
WP2
EOT

Turn 2 - WP keeps one EOT, everything else into cup
WP1
WP2
Brit1
EOT
WP3 - WP now puts his EOT into cup
EOT

Turn 3 - Brit keeps EOT this time
Brit 2 - Brit puts his EOT into cup
WP1
EOT
WP2
EOT

Turn 4 - both players now keep an EOT each
Brit2
WP3 - WP puts his EOT in cup
Brit 1 - Brit puts his EOT in Cup
Brit2
WP1
WP2
EOT
EOT

JudgeDredd

Thanks people.

Get it now. So any turn when a unit is not activated, although a new turn starts, those players who had non-activated formations keep an EoT chit when pulled.

I think if he had explained the reason behind it, it would've made more sense
Alba gu' brath

bob48

Quote from: Barthheart on November 04, 2013, 07:23:00 PM
Quote from: bob48 on November 04, 2013, 05:18:52 PM

Sorry Bob, but as soon as all your formations that did not activate last turn have activated this turn, you then return your end turn counter to the cup. The whole idea is that a formation never gets screwed 2 turns in a row but a different formation could still get screwed.

So chits pulled:
Turn 1:
Brit1
WP1
EOT
Brit2
WP2
EOT

Turn 2 - WP keeps one EOT, everything else into cup
WP1
WP2
Brit1
EOT
WP3 - WP now puts his EOT into cup
EOT

Turn 3 - Brit keeps EOT this time
Brit 2 - Brit puts his EOT into cup
WP1
EOT
WP2
EOT

Turn 4 - both players now keep an EOT each
Brit2
WP3 - WP puts his EOT in cup
Brit 1 - Brit puts his EOT in Cup
Brit2
WP1
WP2
EOT
EOT
:-[
O
H
S
H
T

'Clip those corners'

JudgeDredd

I'm putting this on hold for the moment.....really sorry guys, but I made the mistake last night of reading some of the rules for my new RAF:Battle of Britain game - and the simplicity of them seems to blow these out the water. I mean - I woke up at 4am this morning and reached for the manual for the solitaire Axis game RAF:Eagle.

I will get back to this - I really do want to - but the RAF game is shouting out to me.
Alba gu' brath

GJK

I go back and forth too, I always have.  I remember as a teen, I'd set up a game of "XYZ" and then I'd sit there ready to begin turn 1 (solitaire) and I'd think "man, I don't want to play this now!".  Half the fun was just setting the game up.  Advantage computer games; it's "easier" to be indecisive by having the computer do all of the leg work of setting up a game.  Disadvantage computer games; at least you "accomplished" something by just setting up a boardgame.  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

Quote from: GJK on November 17, 2013, 07:54:49 AM
... I remember as a teen, I'd set up a game of "XYZ" and then I'd sit there ready to begin turn 1 (solitaire) and I'd think "man, I don't want to play this now!".....

This is exactly why my winter project this year is a very large gaming table with an inset inner table that can be covered with a top surface so that 2 or more games can be setup at the same time and I can play "what my moods is" at any particular time without all the restart set ups.

I'll try to take pics as I builds the table.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on November 17, 2013, 05:05:02 PM
Quote from: GJK on November 17, 2013, 07:54:49 AM
... I remember as a teen, I'd set up a game of "XYZ" and then I'd sit there ready to begin turn 1 (solitaire) and I'd think "man, I don't want to play this now!".....

This is exactly why my winter project this year is a very large gaming table with an inset inner table that can be covered with a top surface so that 2 or more games can be setup at the same time and I can play "what my moods is" at any particular time without all the restart set ups.

I'd like to see how it turns out.

QuoteI'll try to take pics as I builds the table.

LOL
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

I.definitely wan to play this game...I've just been spoiled by RAF  at the moment
Alba gu' brath

GJK

My upstairs gaming table - the one that has the table top that can be removed to expose a 3" "well" where I can safely store a game has had Carrier set up on it for several months.  I checked on it just last night.  Alas, another one that I want to get back in to!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer