Best Solitaire Games

Started by PanzersEast, February 02, 2014, 09:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

A couple I have to find time for are Barbarian Prince and Star Smuggler.  Good Old games.

Anyone have the Kickstarted Rebooted - The Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident?  I saw that it is out.

PE

weateallthepies

I've got the Kickstarted version of The Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident though I've not had enough time to really mess with it. Seems as I would expect, pretty old school feeling and hard. I might try it out again today as I've been trying to think of what to put on the table.

At the moment I really like GMT's Space Empires 4X as a solo game, I've got the expansion too which apparently adds some more solo scenarios so going to try that soon. Really does a great job of 4X style gameplay on the table, though the paperwork and tracking units can be a little fiddly, though this is made easier in the solo game by not having hidden units you have to keep checking when you forget what they are.

Nefaro

Quote from: weateallthepies on February 05, 2014, 07:17:03 AM
At the moment I really like GMT's Space Empires 4X as a solo game, I've got the expansion too which apparently adds some more solo scenarios so going to try that soon. Really does a great job of 4X style gameplay on the table, though the paperwork and tracking units can be a little fiddly, though this is made easier in the solo game by not having hidden units you have to keep checking when you forget what they are.

I saw this in the local game store today and grabbed it.  I don't have any tabletop space strategy games so this will be something fresh.  I like what I've seen thus far after opening it.  Is the solo game pretty much the same as multi-player, but you play against some 'dummy' opponents?  I suppose those non-player opponents make some use of the dummy warships and such to keep you on your toes?  The rules look like a slow read for me so it may not hit the table just yet.

I also picked up Tales of the Arabian Nights for a big ass Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style narrative decision boardgame.  Looks like it can play solitaire just fine.  Despite the box being quite hefty, the rules don't look heavy at all.  For what was very much an impulse buy, I may have done quite well.  It was gonna be this or the Gears of War game, and I already have some tile-placing strategy solitaire games so GoW can wait.

A couple less expensive purchases rounded out my shopping spree.  I grabbed the Lord of the Rings LCG card game from Fantasy Flight while I was there.  Everyone seems to recommend it as a great solitaire strategy card game.  I also picked up the Mage Knight Lost Legion Expansion because I can see myself playing more of the MK board-card-game and this expansion looks to have some kind of evil "boss" to perhaps give me the final climactic battle I wanted in it.

Definitely need more time.  :D

weateallthepies

The solo mechanics are pretty much the same as the multiplayer game, but there are set scenarios.

The first is the Doomsday machine scenario, where these doomsday machines move towards you across space destroying colonies whilst you build the military might to destroy them before they get to your homeworld. I've mostly been playing this as it's quicker to run, and I quite like the idea of these huge destructive machines edging their way towards you, a bit like Ogre I guess.

The second is the Alien Empire scenario where you play against several alien races who are pretty much just bent on wiping you out. There are a number of rules to govern what the aliens do on each turn so it's a bit more time consuming to play so I'm not as familiar. I don't believe there are any hidden units on the alien side, I think mostly everything is open in both solitaire scenarios. Need to try this out again though.

Both scenarios have variant levels of difficulty you can set them up with.

The game is actually a lot simpler than it looks from the rules, just start out running the basic rules with none of the optional or advanced stuff and you'll soon pick it up. There are a couple of good videos on boardgamegeek too which will help.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: weateallthepies on February 05, 2014, 07:17:03 AMAt the moment I really like GMT's Space Empires 4X as a solo game, I've got the expansion too which apparently adds some more solo scenarios so going to try that soon. Really does a great job of 4X style gameplay on the table, though the paperwork and tracking units can be a little fiddly, though this is made easier in the solo game by not having hidden units you have to keep checking when you forget what they are.

FWIW

http://grogheads.com/?p=315
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

PanzersEast

Plan on breaking in Dawn of the Zeds this weekend..... so many good reviews and player feedback, hard to resist playing.

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on February 06, 2014, 01:38:59 PM
Plan on breaking in Dawn of the Zeds this weekend..... so many good reviews and player feedback, hard to resist playing.

PE

Tempted to get this soon, but the counter and map looks a bit fiddly to me for some reason.  It also has Combat Tables, which I've come to dislike in my old age.  They don't look all that bad, though. 

Let us know how your playthroughs go.  Despite the mass of counters and such, it is card driven and I'm a sucker for the variety that offers.

I just ordered the new boxed version of Cruel Necessity (solitaire English Civil War wargame)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/70519/cruel-necessity

and their Darkest Night bundle sale package (solo/co-op RPG fantasy adventure game).  I really liked the look of the art and the cards in this one.  Plus, it was on sale.  I'm like a woman anymore with buying anything that has "SALE" plastered over it!   ;D

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/128445/darkest-night

Both of which are natively solitaire capable and generally well-loved.

I should be stocked up for quite some time on solo games after these two shopping sprees.  :o

I was concerned that if I waited too long to get the boxed version of Cruel Necessity that I'd end up having to wait on another reprint or have to buy an overpriced copy while waiting.  It sounds pretty popular right now, especially since it looks to be a larger solitaire wargame and those aren't near as widespread as the fantasy and horror stuff.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on February 06, 2014, 03:18:47 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on February 06, 2014, 01:38:59 PM

PE

Tempted to get this soon, but the counter and map looks a bit fiddly to me for some reason.  It also has Combat Tables, which I've come to dislike in my old age.  They don't look all that bad, though. 

Let us know how your playthroughs go.  Despite the mass of counters and such, it is card driven and I'm a sucker for the variety that offers.

I just ordered the new boxed version of Cruel Necessity (solitaire English Civil War wargame)

and their Darkest Night bundle sale package (solo/co-op RPG fantasy adventure game).  I really liked the look of the art and the cards in this one.  Plus, it was on sale.  I'm like a woman anymore with buying anything that has "SALE" plastered over it!   ;D

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/128445/darkest-night

Both of which are natively solitaire capable and generally well-loved.

I should be stocked up for quite some time on solo games after these two shopping sprees.  :o

I was concerned that if I waited too long to get the boxed version of Cruel Necessity that I'd end up having to wait on another reprint or have to buy an overpriced copy while waiting.  It sounds pretty popular right now, especially since it looks to be a larger solitaire wargame and those aren't near as widespread as the fantasy and horror stuff.

Cruel Necessity is near the top of my list and like you I am afraid of having to wait for a reprint (my gaming bill is getting pretty high).  I would be interested to hear your feedback once you get to set down and play. 

I watched several reviews of Dawn of Zeds and it received all high marks, with the game board mostly positive.  Tom Chick really liked it also.... a couple said the best complete designed solitaire game to date.... we shall see.

Purchase List

• Cruel Necessity
  • Thunderbolt Apache Leader -Board (have vassal)
  • Cthulhu Conflict Expansion
  • The Last Frontier: The Vesuvius Incident
  • Steel Wolves
  • Picket Duty (depends on v2 rules)

PE

PanzersEast

Damn You.... I purchased as well.  After seeing some LPs on it, it looks amazing and has interesting decisions and balance.

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on February 08, 2014, 08:54:03 PM

Damn You.... I purchased as well.  After seeing some LPs on it, it looks amazing and has interesting decisions and balance.

PE

Exactly.  Love the historical events too. 

If I enjoy this one enough, I will probably pick up some of their other ones in the series.  Ottoman Sunset looks like it would also be fun and is reportedly pretty tough keeping the Turkish nation alive through & after World War One.   http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=130

They also have an upcoming one for the Hapsburgs set in the same time frame.   :D  I believe Cruel Necessity is the only one with the separate battle gameplay thus far, however.  Maybe the Hapsburg one will too?

If I understand properly, Victory Point Games prints their products after you order them, so they probably take awhile to get to us.  I ordered a sizable lot since I got the Darkest Night full set combo that was on sale, along with Cruel Necessity, so I don't expect to see it too soon.  Since they print on demand, I suspect they have the equipment to do it themselves there, however, so hopefully it doesn't take ages.  I also believe they just recently started selling the newer premium boxed version of Cruel Necessity so they've probably been busy with printings & orders lately.   After asking the local game store owner, who carries a few of their titles, if he had CN in stock, he told me that they just began selling the premium box version of it, that he would get it "sometime soon" but it hadn't been shipped yet.

I'll let you know how long it took them if mine happens to come in before yours. 

bayonetbrant

Tim Allen previews all those maps looking for comments from other map geeks over at ConSimWorld, too
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on February 08, 2014, 09:53:46 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on February 08, 2014, 08:54:03 PM

PE

Exactly.  Love the historical events too. 

If I enjoy this one enough, I will probably pick up some of their other ones in the series.  Ottoman Sunset looks like it would also be fun and is reportedly pretty tough keeping the Turkish nation alive through & after World War One.   http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=130

They also have an upcoming one for the Hapsburgs set in the same time frame.   :D  I believe Cruel Necessity is the only one with the separate battle gameplay thus far, however.  Maybe the Hapsburg one will too?

If I understand properly, Victory Point Games prints their products after you order them, so they probably take awhile to get to us.  I ordered a sizable lot since I got the Darkest Night full set combo that was on sale, along with Cruel Necessity, so I don't expect to see it too soon.  Since they print on demand, I suspect they have the equipment to do it themselves there, however, so hopefully it doesn't take ages.  I also believe they just recently started selling the newer premium boxed version of Cruel Necessity so they've probably been busy with printings & orders lately.   After asking the local game store owner, who carries a few of their titles, if he had CN in stock, he told me that they just began selling the premium box version of it, that he would get it "sometime soon" but it hadn't been shipped yet.

I'll let you know how long it took them if mine happens to come in before yours.

I have heard Nemo's War is an excellent game from Victory Point, so I will get around to looking at it.  Like you stated earlier, I found Sentinels of the Multiverse pretty cheap so I may pick that up as well.  Found both on Amazon and I have gift money left over from the Holiday's..... 

I don't expect my order of Cruel Necessity to come in this week, I was hoping week after this one.  If it does ship, I will post back.

PE

PanzersEast

Forgot to mention I broke open Dawn of the Zeds.... good quality product, high value contents... counters etc..

PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on February 08, 2014, 11:14:51 PM

I have heard Nemo's War is an excellent game from Victory Point, so I will get around to looking at it.  Like you stated earlier, I found Sentinels of the Multiverse pretty cheap so I may pick that up as well.  Found both on Amazon and I have gift money left over from the Holiday's..... 

I don't expect my order of Cruel Necessity to come in this week, I was hoping week after this one.  If it does ship, I will post back.

*Rant On*

I should've waited and picked my Sentinels game and the double expansion pack up at the local store, too, as they had them both in stock. 

I ordered them from Amazon when I saw the surprisingly low price on them.  It was supposed to arrive only three days after I ordered but ten inches of snow delayed the 'OOOUPS' man by a day.  And then something odd happened on the following day when it was "out for delivery".  The status changed to "Delivery delay due to conditions UPS cannot control" at around noon Friday.  Now there is no delivery day estimate listed at all.  WTF?

So I figured maybe the OOOUPS man crashed his delivery truck or something.  Called and the CS lady said they have specific notations in the system when this happens, and it wasn't showing one.  I'll wait and see if dude drops it off Monday.  AFAIK, it will have been sitting in the delivery truck in the 0 to 10 degree Fahrenheit cold for four days by the time I get it, if it even shows up Monday.  Hopefully the cards don't get all warped when they warm back up, and the adhesives holding the artwork layers don't go to shit.

I don't think there was even a FedEx option for this one.  I've had better experiences with them over the years, especially when I was running an office for awhile and dealing with both for our shipping.  For the couple years we used them, OOOOUPS was the only one that lost and damaged packages.. more than once.  So I'm a bit pessimistic when I see something out of the ordinary happen with them.

*Rant Off*

I'm glad the revised Sentinels of the Multiverse has the new modifier and health counters.  I may use 10-sided dice to track hero & villain health if I have enough spares sitting about.  Or just multiple 6s.  Judging from the many video playthroughs on the 'Tube, the constant health counter jockeying looks like it sucks up more time than it should so perhaps this will be more efficient.  I also have many extra plastic and wood counters so I'm not too concerned about tracking other stuff, if I need to bling it out some more.

Let me know how Dawn of the Zeds plays out.  I like the look of the card play but I'm unsure about the map and counter mechanics.  Specifically the zombie counters.  They look rather dullish with a single number on them but perhaps there is more 'stuff' in the mechanics regarding them.  Do you have 2nd Edition or the latest one that comes with a bonus map?

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on February 08, 2014, 11:38:14 PM

Let me know how Dawn of the Zeds plays out.  I like the look of the card play but I'm unsure about the map and counter mechanics.  Specifically the zombie counters.  They look rather dullish with a single number on them but perhaps there is more 'stuff' in the mechanics regarding them.  Do you have 2nd Edition or the latest one that comes with a bonus map?

It is the latest one (2nd Edition), with both mounted map and fold out.  The map is better than I thought, for some reason on video it looks a lot worse than it is in person.  The mounted map is very nice and has clear and contrasting lines and text.  The counter are excellent imo, they are thick and fee durable.  The instructions, quick start guide etc... are thick and feel good.   Maybe my only complaint is that when their are counters on the board it does get a little busy, but so far not a deal breaker.

I am going through the quick play game, which is very nice and helps get you up and running quickly... this is a nice change of pace as I have just skimmed the rule book.  Overall very happy with my purchase and I was afraid after the money I spend it would not be up to par component wise, I was was wrong.   Now to jump into the gameplay.

PE