Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier wip

Started by JudgeDredd, August 30, 2015, 08:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Great job on the engine. Looks awesome!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 17, 2015, 07:25:28 PM
Damn JD, that engine looks like it could actually run!

AFA the bomb tips- isn't there some liquid mask that you can get?
Thanks Stagger.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear - I was thinking about using Vaseline or something but wasn't sure how that would react with the paint.

I'll check it out - thank you
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: LongBlade on November 17, 2015, 11:03:37 PM
Great job on the engine. Looks awesome!
Thanks

It is considerably busier looking than the stock part.

I have to laugh really - like I said I was going to just cover it up but once I got into it I wanted to do so much more, but I couldn't get electrical wire to stick.

I have seen a technique recently about melting sprues and pulling them to make antenna - so it's entirely possible I could've made different thicknesses for wires and tubes on the engine.....oh well, next time.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Holy crap - I thought they were shots from a professional site as they were loading up - well done sir

JudgeDredd

Thanks very much ucg. I think you're being a little too kind - but I appreciate it. Nice to know I'm along the right tracks.

I've seen some amazing work on the ISM website - absolutely stunning. Some with diorama's and some without but the techniques they use are just astounding.

I found out the other day a way of making "chipping" in the paint and wear in the paint scheme - using hairspray!
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 18, 2015, 08:07:44 AM

I found out the other day a way of making "chipping" in the paint and wear in the paint scheme - using hairspray!

Linky?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Cool, thanks!

I have a few unbuilt kits I may try to work on over the winter- among them a German WW2  8-wheel armored car and a Panzer 2.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

JudgeDredd

Some more work today.

I should have done the filling first, but I was originally using this as a testbed for airbrushing so I didn't. As I've put more work into it, I now wish I had.

I'll do some filling and give it another coat or 2 of Dark Sea Grey (I didn't fancy the white/royal blue look) before I fit the bombs and sidewinders (which I have re-sprayed).

Some filling required near the cockpit section (possibly - if I can be bothered)

Filling required at the wing joins - which I will do

I'll be toning down the red and glitz on the red/gun metal section

A bit of filling along the fuselage

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Ok - I caved and decided the model was worth some extra effort. I'm not huge on sanding and filling, but it kind of needed it...

A fresh coat of Dark Sea Grey is required
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

What are you using for a spray booth? I see the air filter in the back- where are you venting the fumes to?

JudgeDredd

erm....the room  :-\

There is a filter to keep the nasty particles at bay - but there is an "aroma" around. I'm not doing it for long though. It's not like I'm in the room spraying all day. On average, I probably spray, in total, for an hour...bit here and a bit there.

The "spray booth" did come with an extendable hose - however, it's not long enough to reach the doors or the windows. And besides, it's proper Baltic outside.

I was daft before I started  :buck2:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

There's a couple of external bits to attach and the canopy as well as the sidewinders (which look fine) and the 1000lbs bombs (which don't and I need to redo for a 3rd time!!)

So here she is - standing on her own 7 wheels...

What's annoying is I've just discovered (looking at the decals) that before I put the sidewinder holders in place the RAF roundels should've been on - which isn't really feasible given you need to clear coat before applying decals to prevent silvering.

I've also just noticed that a couple of other decals should've been place before assembly - so some decals just won't be put on.
Alba gu' brath