Ultimate Admiral: Age of Sail

Started by RedArgo, December 18, 2018, 01:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

How does the game deal with boarding ships ?  Is it aninmated marines and sailors fighting on the decks or is it abstracted like naval action ?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on March 04, 2020, 04:18:03 PM
How does the game deal with boarding ships ?  Is it aninmated marines and sailors fighting on the decks or is it abstracted like naval action ?

Yes. Animated. When conditions of range, speed and angle are met, ropes and hooks are thrown between ships and the crews and marines have at it. Very cool.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bobarossa

Quote from: Skoop on March 04, 2020, 04:03:08 PM

Just not feeling in an age of sale mood right now. 
Pretty much all of my buying occurs during an "age of sale".  Well except for FOG:E and I've yet to put more than a couple hours into it so far.

Gusington

I loved the battles in the Ultimate General series and actually did well in fighting them, so...GIGGITY

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GibbyG

Anyone have any updated thoughts on this one?  Hankering for some Age of Sail but the reviews, particularly on enemy scaling, aren't the best.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: challerain on June 30, 2020, 03:55:52 PM
Anyone have any updated thoughts on this one?  Hankering for some Age of Sail but the reviews, particularly on enemy scaling, aren't the best.

I still love it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GibbyG

Thanks.  I know I will break down before July 9th :)

CJReich46

Quote from: Toonces on February 23, 2020, 01:55:46 PM
It looks like this and Dreadnoughts are no longer available for purchase.  I guess release is imminent...

It is. Dreadnoughts is soon. As in VERY SOON.

:)

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Gusington

^For Steam early access yes. But a playable campaign is still 5-6 months away for Dreadnoughts. I've been playing through some of the 50 available missions and have had a lot of fun with the game, even without the campaign. When Game Labs announced on their forums that the playable campaign would be delayed until the end of the year I thought there was going to be a riot.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

This game does look great, but the crazy thing is, I went full blown into Naval action.  Like put a thousand hours in playing with an MP clan that does Trafalgar style ship of the line battles.  After all that, I don't even care about this game, my age of sail itch is beyond scratched.  I probably wont get this until next years steam sale when it's 5 bucks.

Now dreadnoughts is a different story, can't wait till the campaign is released for that one. 

ArizonaTank

I was a little surprised to find a "must win" scenario opening the British campaign.  I tried once and failed (I know I suck). I will try again...but had I known this was the way of it, I may not have bought it.

I was thinking the game was more "open"...something like a "Total War" game.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

glen55

Quote from: challerain on June 30, 2020, 03:55:52 PM

I love this game up to a point. It's fantastic for small actions with 2 or 3 or 4 ships a side, but it turns into micromanagement hell in medium-sized battles or larger. Sadly, there are only a handful of small battles in each of the 2 campaigns, and for some reason they are interspersed with land battles. The land battles are kind of nice if not as good as the ones in Ultimate General, but mainly, come on, this is a naval game!

I fell stone cold in love with it when I started playing but it just didn't take nearly as long as it should have for me to have played all the battles I really wanted to play and start into the ones that are more like work. And not all that much longer for me to play all the good battles in each campaign twice or more.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

FlickJax

The battle scaling has stopped me, just not needed for your average player that just wants to have fun..

MengJiao

Quote from: FlickJax on July 15, 2020, 04:04:18 AM
The battle scaling has stopped me, just not needed for your average player that just wants to have fun..

Apparently the scaling is somewhat mitigated (I haven't gotten to where you might see the button you can pick to shut it off for a particular battle) and it was on sale for 29 bucks yesterday.  I've been messing with the "custom battles" (of course) and so far those are fun in a vaguely Sid Meyer's Pirates!  kind of way.

One fun thing is the enormous variety of equipment, guns, muskets and such.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 13, 2020, 07:15:53 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on July 15, 2020, 04:04:18 AM

Apparently the scaling is somewhat mitigated (I haven't gotten to where you might see the button you can pick to shut it off for a particular battle) and it was on sale for 29 bucks yesterday.  I've been messing with the "custom battles" (of course) and so far those are fun in a vaguely Sid Meyer's Pirates!  kind of way.

One fun thing is the enormous variety of equipment, guns, muskets and such.

The ships sail well and for the Royal navy, the flags change for each squadron.  For the French, there's always the tricolor even on the "Le Souverain"...another cool thing is that crews that escape from a sinking ship will reinforce other ships.