1st World Board Gaming Problems...

Started by Bison, July 13, 2015, 10:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I just rearranged the man corner  :-[ and finally have a dedicated gaming table.  Victory!!!!!!!!  8) The problem is the table is 30" X 48".   So I need to figure out a work around for games requiring more table top like X-Wing for example that would require a 36" X 36" table space for just the board.  It's a rough life I know.  I'm sure we all have our own struggles.    :knuppel2:

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on July 13, 2015, 10:09:46 AM
Get.

Another.

Table.

Man.

Corner.

Not.

Man.

Cave.

I'm thinking about a piece of plexiglass or something similar.  I'm not sure of the cost, so perhaps a piece of 1/2" plywood.  Hmmm....

Bison

It's does work perfectly for TCGs and LCGs just incase anyone cares.

Barthheart

Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 10:12:37 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 13, 2015, 10:09:46 AM
Get.

Another.

Table.

Man.

Corner.

Not.

Man.

Cave.

I'm thinking about a piece of plexiglass or something similar.  I'm not sure of the cost, so perhaps a piece of 1/2" plywood.  Hmmm....

Unless you go really thick, a piece of Plexiglass would be to bendy. 1/2" plywood is stiffer and cheaper and easier to work with. Just add some swing out supports for the new "edge" and yer good to go.

Bison

Well honestly I'm thinking of just something like a large plexiglass square (40" X40") or something to place on top of the table if and when it's needed.  Not sure of the cost.  I thought with a piece of plywood or something similar I could cover it with felt to help it from sliding around and protect the table underneath too.  I'm not sure.  I'd consider another table, but the wife would kill me.   I converted the computer desk she bought me into this table already, so I need to tread very carefully.

Barthheart

Plywood with felt is still cheaper option, it is heavier to move around. The plexiglass you should be able to get at Home Depot but it might cost you up to $50, depending on thickness.

Bison

The added side benefit of plexiglass is it would act as a paper map shield.  Put the map down.  Cover with plexiglass and then put counters on top of the plexiglass.  I'd considered a large picture frame for this purpose in the past. 

I've got some thinking to do.  Next I need to come up with a better storage systems for my TCG and LCG games, and for my ASL and CC counters.

bayonetbrant

make a plywood tabletop at about 4x6

Staple / glue down some thick felt, and then put trim molding around the edges.to cover the seams.

It's a one-afternoon project for about $40 between Home Depot and and a fabric store.  When you're not using it, stand it up along the wall and shove the table up into it.

Get green felt and you can use it as a tabletop for some minis wargames (just add terrain)
Get black felt and you've got a space backdrop.
Get ambitious and do black on one side and green on the other and you can be a full-on nerd.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on July 13, 2015, 10:35:06 AMI'd considered a large picture frame for this purpose in the past. 

Back-to-college sales are coming up soon.  You can get some 36x48 poster frames CHEAP at Bed Bath & Beyond or Target, and just keep your maps in them.  Like $10 each or less cheap.
I've got 4 of them upstairs in the man cave - 2 Warfighter maps, Orange Crush, and a blank square grid for RPGs.  You can also write on them w/ dry-erase markers and then wipe 'em off within a few hours, no problem. 
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

bayonetbrant

You're the guy that moved to Kansas instead of FBNC.  You could've been right down the street from the Man-Cave of Gaming +3™

Bison

I have a man corner of shame to work on now.  Thank you very much.

GJK

Get a piece of thick plywood or MDB board and cut it to the size of the current table top.  Hinge it to the top of the current table top and to the underside of the plywood (after you've put a nice finish on it).  If you don't need the extra table space, you play on the folded over extension.  If you do need the table space, unfold the extension to get the extra room.  You may need to make some removable legs to go under the extension when unfolded but you could experiment with that.  You can get a strong but relatively flat hinge that covers the length of the table (Home Depot sells them).
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

2 of the poster frames out in the man-cave

I need to pick up a few more this fall.