The 12 Weapons That Changed Everything

Started by bayonetbrant, September 17, 2013, 02:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2013/08/15/12-Weapons-That-Changed-Everything

QuoteHistory is shaped by these technological innovations. It is impossible to imagine a Roman empire without its Legionary sword, or a British one without muskets. The German blitzkrieg required fast engines and lots of gasoline. The Atomic bomb, which has shaped every political action since its first use at Hiroshima, required nuclear physics (and, obviously, flight).
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

Interesting.

Too many typos.

If JH sees this he'll blow a fuse. They call the AK's magazine a "clip".
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

besilarius

Think they missed an obvious one.  The horse.
So many things came about because of the horse's mobility, and not mentioning it seems a bit silly.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: besilarius on September 17, 2013, 03:05:39 PM
Think they missed an obvious one.  The horse.
So many things came about because of the horse's mobility, and not mentioning it seems a bit silly.

Yeah, we could quibble. Crossbow. Sling. Atlatl. Fire. Siege engines, starting with the ladder and going from there.

Flipping sieges around, we could go through the evolution of defensive measures that have, over time, evolved and eventually disappeared. Today's warfare - at least against the US - demonstrates that defensive emplacements are tombs. If you hole up in a bunker you're toast. Maneuver, training, and CCCI matter most. The equipment, while significant, is almost secondary. Substitute this article's vaunted AK instead of our M-4s and we'd still mop the battlefield.

Drones are less a paradigm changer than they are an evolution of precision ordnance that has been evolving since the 90's. The entire class of stand-off, precision, high-explosive ordnance is a huge game changer, whether it be delivered by mortar, aircraft, or sea-launched.

Still, it does a good job of starting the conversation.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

It wasn't the horse it was the stirup.
I'm all for the hubris of man but we didn't invent the .   ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

besilarius

The Huns did not have stirrups.
If you're going to be picky, then taming horses is up there with the metallurgy necessary to mass produce the gladius.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Quote from: besilarius on September 17, 2013, 07:46:28 PM
The Huns did not have stirrups.
If you're going to be picky, then taming horses is up there with the metallurgy necessary to mass produce the gladius.

Right. It was the Chinese who first used what we would recognize as stirrups back when the Roman Empire was in it's infancy but it was the Avars who introduced the stirrup to Europe in the late 500's or early 600's AD.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys