The painting urge is strong - cannot resist

Started by undercovergeek, December 12, 2017, 02:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Brushes - check

£50s worth of paints and washes and basing stuff - check

Box of paratroopers, modelling knife and glue - check

Ive started with this chap - hes been glued, ive done the base and hes primed in uniform grey - im doing one for now to completion just to get methods right and get some pratice in, then ill go with 3 or 4 at a time

and this is our man a couple of hours later - ive still to do the base as i need some grass and different colours - theyre on order

Nefaro

Barthheart

Nice job Geek.  :bd:

A couple of questions for you... well anyone really...

1 Do you always fully assemble the model troops before painting? Are you not concerned with the slightly covered hard to paint but always seem to be easy to see unpainted spots?

2 Do you paint for good looks up close or only at the 2 foot gaming range?

For me, my OCD rarely lets me fully assemble the little guys because I can't paint the covered spots. But then my laziness says just build the damn things so I can play with them.....

undercovergeek

just posted the same question on my gaming groups FB page, because ive built 7 of these guys and just realised theres parts ill never reach with a brush - i know people who assemble and paint like i just did, paint and then assemble and im also seeing a lot of love for painting on the sprue

looks wise im OCD for getting it right at close range but also dont have the skills for that yet - these are 28mm minis and ive seen some with white eyes and pupils, whilst i could do that ive also played the game and realise without picking a mini up and gazing at it lovingly youd never know - so whilst it scratches at my OCD i left this guy with a wash across his face

undercovergeek

number 2 because youre not really painting airborne until someone has a red beret on

bit of base repair - these are all to be painted at the end

platoon NCO next

Staggerwing

Nice! You can almost hear him yelling 'Whoa Mohammed'!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

its easiest to just cover the whole figure in an overall wash or color and then get into the detail painting.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Nice job UCG.

I have a wee question for you...and others who use these mini's. I find them an odd choice. They kind of look like dwarfs. Why do you - or anyone here using minis (nevermore) use these minis instead of the other ones. I think I'm thinking of Airfix? I can't recall - my dad used to come home from work now and again and bring us a box of soldiers each.

Found them - these ones

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=29

My brother and I used to spend hours painting these
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Re being dwarves that maybe the perspective on my shots or that these 2 I've done are running forward so in effect they're not standing up straight - I'll post the nco later who is

Nothing wrong at all with those minis I think I've seen them in use at the club but they look no better or worse than the warlord ones plus you get to customise the sprue ones

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 10, 2018, 02:44:20 AM
Re being dwarves that maybe the perspective on my shots or that these 2 I've done are running forward so in effect they're not standing up straight - I'll post the nco later who is

Nothing wrong at all with those minis I think I've seen them in use at the club but they look no better or worse than the warlord ones plus you get to customise the sprue ones
No. I must admit, after having found the link and the video, my perspective of how good they are changed. Rose tinted glasses I think.

Still...to recapture my youth, I might buy the German pack and get painting. Good thread  O0
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

I'm glad you said that, JD...I was thinking the exact same thing from that first pic on, that they looked a bit stunted in the leg department. ;D

undercovergeek

Couple things - these 2 are running forward and they're wearing the denison smock which comes to mid thigh - let me take some new shots

JudgeDredd

Not really. And I mean from a scale perspective. They do look dwarven to me. What scale are they?

It's not just these. I see them in nevermore's post and I've seen them used by someone here with a WWII boardgame.

They are excellently detailed (and very well painted) - the moustache is especially realistic - especially for the British Army.

Don't worry about me. I was just wondering why people seemed to use these instead of other kinds of miniatures. Maybe there's more of these in terms of posture. Also the airfix ones do have (or did have) considerable tidying up required. And maybe this scale fits.

I imagine these are quite expensive? Also you get the pleasure (I gather) to put them together.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 10, 2018, 10:52:00 AM
Not really. And I mean from a scale perspective. They do look dwarven to me. What scale are they?

+1

Nothing against your painting skills, UCG - those painted minis look great and are damn better than anything I can do.

It's just their legs look a tad stunted, even accounting for leaning forward at a run. That stance is awkward as if they were leaning that far forward, they'd be falling over owing to the 60 pounds of gear they're carrying.