Started by undercovergeek, December 12, 2017, 02:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

The brave men of 1st platoon so far - i dabbled with painting a tally under their base of how many battles theyve had and how many theyve survived but the kills are simply distributed amongst the group

George

Harry

John - The Sarge

Lofty

Barthheart

undercovergeek

Tonight i wheeled out the boys for their first competitive match and my very first game of Bolt Action - against the club 'owner' and early beta developer of the game - arse!

As i only had 7 figures of my own Mike lent me 2 other squads of 7, the LT and his bodyguard, a sniper team, and an artillery observer

He was playing with Germans, some kind of Jaeger variant and was experimenting with squad sizes and weapons hence his unpainted masses

Most of the action would take place on my left of the board in a wooded area at the back of the cottage -

Having called in his arty strike the observer becomes a single soldier armed with whatever your OOB states - here a sten gun - my 3 man MMG team is in the cottage, the 2 markers indicate ive lost 2 of the 3 crew but can still fire. The observer has moved up to cover the MMG team or to provide extra fire for the carnage in the woods in the background

Mike advances his 10 man squad - the grey guys - and thats 16 dice needing only 3s to hit my squad of 4 facing them - however, he's got a pin marker from the previous round where i hit his squad but failed to score any wounds (a regular feature of tonights game) - so before he can do anything he has to pass a morale test, he fails, snort. On a double 6, heh heh - this rare occurrence is called a FUBAR, Mikes squad has failed so spectacularly it has to roll on the FUBAR chart - he rolls a 1 - the worse result. In a panic of indecisiveness and bad management the squad turn to their left and start shooting their own guys, his other advancing squad in white and he kills 5 of this 10 man team, this in turn is 50% of this squads manpower, they also fail a morale test and go running off into the woods

Heres the hero of the match - on the other side of the second stone wall is a sniper team thats just run out of a building i was about to assault - needing fours to hit and 5s to wound the guy pulls out his sten gun, you get 2 shots for an SMG, and rolls to hit and wound on both members of the enemy sniper team - first victory dice to the Brits

Thats Mike on dead German clean up duty

Having lost the hero observer to close combat and the decimated MMG team in the cottage and an infantry squad in the woods, Mike is up 3 to 1 but hes running out of command dice - I have the LT, the sniper squad and half an infantry squad left to try and wipe out the last of his grey guys here, and have an uninjured squad on the right of the board ready to bear 13 dice on a 2 man MMG team

Both plans come off - 3 dice each, a draw on my first outing - ill take that

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Love those pics. Especially the ones taken from the perspective of the minis.  O0

undercovergeek

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 17, 2018, 10:09:52 AM
Love those pics. Especially the ones taken from the perspective of the minis.  O0

Because the game rules are true line of sight you actually have to get your chin right in there to check visibility - I took pics whilst doing it

JudgeDredd

Very cool  :notworthy:

When moving, I don't see any hexes...how do you determine how far a unit can move?
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

A unit can advance up to 6 inch and choose to fire with a minus 1 penalty

Or run 12 inch with no fire at the end

Or assault 12 inch into close combat and resolve the hand to hand

BanzaiCat

...so if they do not move, they get to fire with no penalty?

bbmike

Or the real question- what is the rule system?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 16, 2018, 05:53:20 PM
Tonight i wheeled out the boys for their first competitive match and my very first game of Bolt Action - against the club 'owner' and early beta developer of the game - arse!

:nerd:

undercovergeek

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 17, 2018, 07:11:24 PM
...so if they do not move, they get to fire with no penalty?

Exactly, although smgs don't suffer a move and fire penalty and throw 2 dice for damage