So. We got a cat. So far I am thoroughly underwhelmed

Started by Huw the Poo, March 30, 2016, 03:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

She just sits in her bed all day long.  She comes downstairs for about ten minutes first thing in the morning.  She drags her lazy arse out of bed to eat food.  She will sometimes sit on one of the kids' beds while they sleep.  But 95% of her life seems to be spent in her bed and she absolutely will not come to us if we beckon or call her.

BORING.

What's the point of having a pet you can't interact with?  You may as well be watching TV or some shit.  I wish we could have a dog instead.

BanzaiCat

Step 1: Place cat on kitchen floor (or any floor with linoleum or tile - no carpet)

Step 2: Spin cat in circles like a top

Step 3: ? ? ?

Step 4: Profit!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 30, 2016, 03:46:04 PM
But 95% of her life seems to be spent in her bed and she absolutely will not come to us if we beckon or call her.

What's the point of having a pet you can't interact with? 

LMFAO - you bought a cat for this?

know that if it could it would raise a middle finger to the puny human slapping its thigh going 'here tiddles, here'

but seriously - the poor sods no idea who you are or what youre doing in its house, give it some time

BanzaiCat

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 30, 2016, 03:46:04 PM
She just sits in her bed all day long.  She comes downstairs for about ten minutes first thing in the morning.  She drags her lazy arse out of bed to eat food.  She will sometimes sit on one of the kids' beds while they sleep.  But 95% of her life seems to be spent in her bed and she absolutely will not come to us if we beckon or call her.

BORING.

What's the point of having a pet you can't interact with?  You may as well be watching TV or some shit.  I wish we could have a dog instead.

Picking a cat is like spinning a roulette wheel. You might land on a cat that's actually cuddly and playful...or you might completely miss the mark and end up with an anti-social asshole.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 30, 2016, 04:16:41 PM
or you might completely miss the mark and end up with an anti-social asshole.

If that's what we've got, I'll gladly take her back.  A pet you can't interact with may as well be a painting on the wall.

The kids seem to like her, but then all we've had until now is hamsters so as far as they're concerned even a boring cat is a step up!

Staggerwing

If you've had the cat less than a few days it may indeed still come out of it's 'shell' in due time. As Geek said, the poor thing is probably still in "WTF??!!" mode.

How old is it? Early post-kitten stage?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Ubercat

She sounds older. A young beasty would probably be all over the place.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

I would agree that kitty might need more time. We took in a stray a couple of years ago that's just now starting to become very friendly. 
That said, I'm a dog person and when I retire I will have another pug.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Huw the Poo

She's three years old.  As I understand it that's quite young...?

Quote from: bbmike on March 30, 2016, 05:48:58 PM

Yeah, looks like I have to wait for retirement, but the second I exit work on my last day I'll be getting a German Shepherd. O0

undercovergeek

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 30, 2016, 06:37:12 PM
She's three years old.  As I understand it that's quite young...?

Quote from: bbmike on March 30, 2016, 05:48:58 PM

Yeah, looks like I have to wait for retirement, but the second I exit work on my last day I'll be getting a German Shepherd. O0

quite appropriate for a welshman - what kind of dog will you be getting?

i made myself laugh  :2funny:

MetalDog

I wouldn't laugh so hard if I were you.  Huw might just come over there and give you his cat!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

undercovergeek

im a cat whisperer - the girlfriends cat hates her, wont go anywhere near her, as soon as i get there the cat jumps on my lap and falls asleep just after giving the girlfriend the smuggest look you can do without any facial expressions