Halloween

Started by besilarius, September 10, 2019, 05:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I think I posted that Exorcist III scene around here, years ago, with YouTube. I don't clearly remember the first time I ever saw it, but I must have been in my 20s and literally jumped back from the tv screen my buddies and I were watching it on. It runs about a minute and a half and is put together like a Stanley Kubrick shot - long view down a hallway that seems to go on forever, with seemingly ordinary hospital life going on and then WHAM. A masterpiece!!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

That's why when I worked nights I NEVER got up and went anywhere.  :hide:   I just stayed at the desk and peed in the trash can.  The original, 'Halloween' and 'Nightmare on Elm Street' also were pretty scary--- the first time anyway. First time I watched Nightmare, I stayed-up late to watch it on HBO by myself and damned near turned it off half-way through. Freddy was a scary MoFo.

The only thing scarier was, "Kinder Garden Cop" with Arrr-nold. All those kids coming after him... with their sticky fingers... and runny little noses.... I still can't sleep at night.   :buck2:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on October 24, 2019, 07:30:00 AM
I think I posted that Exorcist III scene around here, years ago, with YouTube. I don't clearly remember the first time I ever saw it, but I must have been in my 20s and literally jumped back from the tv screen my buddies and I were watching it on. It runs about a minute and a half and is put together like a Stanley Kubrick shot - long view down a hallway that seems to go on forever, with seemingly ordinary hospital life going on and then WHAM. A masterpiece!!

The guys do talk about that scene in their discussion, and gush over it. They show some of it, too (compressed a little, with a note that they're doing slide fades to speed it up) -- as I recall there's a jump-scare about halfway through it, just to mess with your sense of timing: oh, okay, that's why the long scene is there, now we'll go on to... uh.... well, we're still here.... wtf... why are we still AAAHHHH!!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I don't recall a jump scare but the finale of that scene can be called the most uberist jump scare of all time.

I have never seen any of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies - they came out when I was a little kid and I just never went that way.

Poltergeist and Amityville Horror (original) also came out when I was a little kid. Amityville was the first scary movie I ever saw, I must have been about 8, and it was on a neighbor's HBO subscription.

The movie has haunted me since then and is still scary to me. Especially the soundtrack.

Poltergeist less so, but still a classic.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Gus, they discuss the hallway scene starting at 19:55, including the fakeout scare before the real scare.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

I need to watch that then.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

For all your werewolf axe-chopping needs...

(I'll also give this it's own AAR thread.)

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Just watched the full YouTube show on The Exorcist III...it's awesome! Thanks for posting. And I have realized that I have probably only seen the original, not the director's cut they are talking about...because there are a ton of details that I do not remember at all. I'm looking at buying it right now on Amazon but I cannot tell if it is the director's cut or not. Will have to pour through the reviews. Also looking for Jay and Mike review of The Blair Witch Project...there must be one...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

JasonPratt

Goodness, by 1922 standards that film looks awful! -- even accounting for poor transmission and damaged survival!

Still, I do want to watch it later.  :smitten: